Build Thread My G0704 CNC conversion adventure - Page 4

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: My G0704 CNC conversion adventure

Downloads
    Uploads

I sure like your ability to jump in with the printer. One day I will quit procrastinating and get to it. Great work.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    I sure like your ability to jump in with the printer. One day I will quit procrastinating and get to it. Great work.
    Yes it comes in quite handy.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Xnaron View Post
    Yes it comes in quite handy.
    Where did you get your printer if you dont mind me asking?
    Thats a toy for me in the future.

Cheers

John [url]http://www.avextra.co.uk[/url] [URL="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop_machines/143315-uk_g0704_clone_conversion_workshop.html"]http://www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop_machines/143315-uk_g0704_clone_conversion_workshop.html[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jdurkin View Post
    Where did you get your printer if you dont mind me asking?
    Thats a toy for me in the future.

Cheers
    I built them...I bought a kit from makergear.com for a reprap prusa and used that to print the parts for the 2 printers I am now operating.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I built them...I bought a kit from makergear.com for a reprap prusa and used that to print the parts for the 2 printers I am now operating.
    Cheers - yeh ive seen that site but never saved it.

What is the reason for using the prusa to make another one and bin the prusa

Eg: Is the prusa very limited? too small?
    what do your new printers have or do that the prusa doesn't or cant?

Sorry for being naive on this -just after a bit more insight?

John [url]http://www.avextra.co.uk[/url] [URL="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop_machines/143315-uk_g0704_clone_conversion_workshop.html"]http://www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop_machines/143315-uk_g0704_clone_conversion_workshop.html[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Your prints turn out awesome. Mind telling us a little bit more about your printer and material? PLA or ABS, what size filiment? what temp from the extruder. Mach control or one of the Audino packages?

I'm almost done with a H1 printer but I hadn't seen any prints as good as yours.

Richard

Today I designed a cover for the hole where the hand crank for the z went. Also pictured are the covers I made to protect the inside of the Billy stepper mounts from swarf (more relevant on the x and y). They just swivel open and closed.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree - those prints look great. Please do share.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

........Good idea on getting the base machined to allow for extra travel. The mount billy made should support it......
    Oops...didn't mean that the YAxis stepper mount would support the saddle as the saddle weight rests on the ways, but looking at the pic of the new Y stepper mount it looks that the OD of the cylinderical part of the mount would restrict the saddle from any extra gained movement by machining the base (in my case +Y axis movement)...

Eoin

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Welder View Post
    Oops...didn't mean that the YAxis stepper mount would support the saddle as the saddle weight rests on the ways, but looking at the pic of the new Y stepper mount it looks that the OD of the cylinderical part of the mount would restrict the saddle from any extra gained movement by machining the base (in my case +Y axis movement)...

I didn't mean that the Billy y mount would support the weight. I just meant that it would support clearing. the movement. Billy made the y mount flat on the top. The flat surface is lower than the too of the piece it mates to. I can't see having that piece overhang anymore than what the flat piece on the mount will allow. Just how far are people having it overhang?

Last edited by Xnaron; 02-01-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jdurkin View Post
    Cheers - yeh ive seen that site but never saved it.

What is the reason for using the prusa to make another one and bin the prusa

Eg: Is the prusa very limited? too small?
    what do your new printers have or do that the prusa doesn't or cant?

Sorry for being naive on this -just after a bit more insight?
    I made two more prusa variants that I modified to use linear bearings instead of bushings. It gave me better quality prints. Same size.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rwskinner View Post
    Your prints turn out awesome. Mind telling us a little bit more about your printer and material? PLA or ABS, what size filiment? what temp from the extruder. Mach control or one of the Audino packages?

I'm almost done with a H1 printer but I hadn't seen any prints as good as yours.

Richard
    Thanks. I use primarily PLA now (1.75mm). My printer are prusa's that I modified o use linear bearings. I use the makergear extruder and usually extrude at 198C. I use the arduino ramps as the controller.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up G0704 Y axis mount clearence

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Welder View Post
    Looks are deceiving for i can assure you that the top of the flat is slightly lower that the ground surface not to restrict Y axis movement that you are trying to gain. What you are not seeing is the clearence of underside of the saddle which on my mill appears to be approx .090 thousands of an inch that you see when saddle is reinstalled .

Downloads
    Uploads

Today my machinist friend milled my cross slide X pockets for me. This was the first time I saw his shop. Absolutely awesome! It was way bigger than I thought and they so many huge lathes and mills. They do work for the oilfield and have this system to coat the pipes and then shine them to a mirror finish where they need to seal. Very cool stuff.

He unfortunately did not have a 1" ball nose so we needed to use a 5/8" one. He did an excellent job of keeping the pocket shaped to the ball nut case.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3681-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3682-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3683-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3685-jpg  

My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3686-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3687-jpg  
    Last edited by Xnaron; 02-05-2012 at 09:39 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Success!

I got everything put together and all the axis' moving. We had a little trouble trying to get the x nut to pinch it squarely. It was tightening the nut down at an angle. We needed to mill the clearance for the nut a little larger and then take down the mating surface down at 90 degrees. Once we did this it fit very well.

I was able to get a hold of nuts that fit the linearmotion bearings 12mm threads. This let me double lock them. Set screws and double nut.

The video shows me jogging the x,y,z at 200IPM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P7ZzodadLI]g0704 cnc first all axis test - YouTube

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3689-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3690-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3691-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3692-jpg  

My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3693-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3694-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I made another 2 covers for my x and y mounts. If there is any interest I may run a batch and sell them. The same cover works on the Z as well.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3695-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3696-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3697-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3698-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I am working on the endstops starting with the x. Here is something I came up with using the stock endstops.

The idea for the cover on the top is too keep the swarf out...I'm wondering if it may just build up underneath. Maybe I should leave it open.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3699-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3700-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3701-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3702-jpg  

My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3703-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3704-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm impressed with the nice quality of those plastic parts! Much nicer than what I've seen from home "printers" before. What kind of machine are you using? I could really use something like that.

I can guarantee you those limit switches will get loaded with chips and cease functioning pretty quickly. Perhaps if you extended the covers quite a bit further out the sides, but you'll still have trouble with chips taking a ride under the covers on the stops, the table, and anything else. You'd certainly be better off with the switches mounted upside-down, so chips can't so easily get packed into the space between the arm and the housing, but I think any switch that is not fully enclosed will get clogged up at times.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    I'm impressed with the nice quality of those plastic parts! Much nicer than what I've seen from home "printers" before. What kind of machine are you using? I could really use something like that.

I can guarantee you those limit switches will get loaded with chips and cease functioning pretty quickly. Perhaps if you extended the covers quite a bit further out the sides, but you'll still have trouble with chips taking a ride under the covers on the stops, the table, and anything else. You'd certainly be better off with the switches mounted upside-down, so chips can't so easily get packed into the space between the arm and the housing, but I think any switch that is not fully enclosed will get clogged up at times.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Hi Ray,
    Details on the printer are earlier in the thread.

Yes you make excellent points. I am going to modify the design. I have some ideas to make it better.

thanks,
    Brendin

Downloads
    Uploads

What color is the filament you are using? It looks very metallic. 1.7mm ABS?

cheers and nice work!
    Michael

Reelsmith, Angling Historian, and Author of "The Reelsmith's Primer"
    www.EclecticAngler.com | www.ReelLinesPress.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mhackney View Post
    What color is the filament you are using? It looks very metallic. 1.7mm ABS?

cheers and nice work!
    Michael

Thanks! It is 1.75mm silver pla from ultimachine.com.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast