Build Thread My G0704 CNC conversion adventure - Page 2

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My G0704 CNC conversion adventure

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Generally an E-Stop should kill everything that can be driven on the machine. I realize this isn't an OSHA compliant machine but consistent behaviors in E-Stops is something everybody should strive for. An E-Stop that doesn't kill the machine does little good.
    Yeah I've given that some thought and intend to leverage the existing estop on the machine. I want it to kill the spindle and trigger the mach estop.

Downloads
    Uploads

Controller finished...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3499-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3500-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3501-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Xnaron View Post
    Yeah I've given that some thought and intend to leverage the existing estop on the machine. I want it to kill the spindle and trigger the mach estop.
    An E-Stop that depends on Mach3 to stop the motors is no E-Stop. If Mach3 loses its mind (something it does not infrequently), you want the E-Stop button to kill power to the drives as directly as possible. You can have it ALSO signal Mach3, but depending on Mach3 to actually stop the drives makes for an unsafe machine. Ideally, E-Stop should be a normally-closed switch connected directly to the coil of the main power contactor, so when you open the switch, power is cut off RIGHT NOW, even if Mach3 has gone out to lunch. Having the switch kill the spindle, and depending on Mach3 to stop the drives is the worst of both worlds.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    An E-Stop that depends on Mach3 to stop the motors is no E-Stop. If Mach3 loses its mind (something it does not infrequently), you want the E-Stop button to kill power to the drives as directly as possible. You can have it ALSO signal Mach3, but depending on Mach3 to actually stop the drives makes for an unsafe machine. Ideally, E-Stop should be a normally-closed switch connected directly to the coil of the main power contactor, so when you open the switch, power is cut off RIGHT NOW, even if Mach3 has gone out to lunch. Having the switch kill the spindle, and depending on Mach3 to stop the drives is the worst of both worlds.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    I have that type of estop on the controller. It is wired to a contactor that kills the ac.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice build, just with using the RJ-45 boards you will want to have a look at this thread before you start testing.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...version-2.html

Stoner #1

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bladehunter View Post
    Nice build, just with using the RJ-45 boards you will want to have a look at this thread before you start testing.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...version-2.html
    Yeah I already talked to Jeremy about that a few weeks back. I think they sent him the wrong adapter boards. The lettering on mine matched the drivers.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any chance of a close up pic of copper & component sides ? Ony reason I ask as the component layout seems the same as mine.

My boards are marked C34KLR2 how does your's compare ?

Well least someone may have luck with them straight out of the box

Stoner #1

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bladehunter View Post
    Any chance of a close up pic of copper & component sides ? Ony reason I ask as the component layout seems the same as mine.

My boards are marked C34KLR2 how does your's compare ?

Well least someone may have luck with them straight out of the box
    Here you go...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3421-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3420-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cheers.

Interesting, looks like the C34KLD's are the ones to use for the KL-6050s rather than the C34KL's

Stoner #1

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

yes, he actually got the correct ones that will work for the 6050's unlike myself and others i have seen. which reminds me i still need to contact them to get mine switched out. i have them hooked up without but i might as well get the correct product i paid for.

Downloads
    Uploads

I changed the wiring for the steppers to 2ft cables instead of 1 foot cables.

Waiting for some ballnut mounts to arrive then I can get busy...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3564-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3565-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3566-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Xnaron, Excellent work. I really like the use of the 3D printer and its parts. I am about to start tinkering in that area and repurposing a Sherline with a printer head. Nice layout on the electronics, very clean.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Xnaron, Excellent work. I really like the use of the 3D printer and its parts. I am about to start tinkering in that area and repurposing a Sherline with a printer head. Nice layout on the electronics, very clean.
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Nice Build

Nice work Xnaron....tidy and excellent attention to detail in the wiring setup this looks like a good and interesting thread build looking forward to the finished build...keep the pics flowing...and thanks for sharing

Eoin

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Welder View Post
    Nice work Xnaron....tidy and excellent attention to detail in the wiring setup this looks like a good and interesting thread build looking forward to the finished build...keep the pics flowing...and thanks for sharing

Thank you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Started work on the Z...removed the stock screw.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3620-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm using Billy's ballnut adapters for the linearmotionbearings2008 rm2005 ballscrew/nut. When I put it on the machine the screw wasn't right and the top piece would not align. It was because of this set screw preventing the ballnut adapter from mating flush.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3625-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3614-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

6 bolts hold Billy's ballnut adapter in place. You'll need to insert the adapter first and then hold it near the top of the column while you add the 6 bolts.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3611-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3619-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I also had some flashing that I needed to remove from inside the column that may have interfered with the ballnut adapter.

I also noticed that the inspection screw plate at the back has a really long screw that may also interfere. I removed it for now and will add a smaller screw later.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3623-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3624-jpg   My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3615-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I need to double check the setscrew at the bottom of the ballnut mount but I can't get to it without removing the head. I tried removing the center screw and the lock screw on the head but I could not get it off the machine. What is the best way to remove the head?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My G0704 CNC conversion adventure-cimg3616-jpg  

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast