G0704 extended X travel

Thread: G0704 extended X travel

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default G0704 extended X travel

Not many people ask for more X on this mill, but here is a simple mod that nets an additional 2.2 inches, depending on your gib screw location to start. Total X travel is now just over 21-1/4".

Leaving out the bearing and using a bushing let's this bracket be small enough to clear the saddle. The bracket bottoms out on the ball nut. (Double nut screw from ebay per Hoss plans) the bracket also sits just below the bottom galleys of the table, allowing flood coolant to drain easily.

The bracket is out of 3/8" stock, the bushing is 1/2"OD x 3/8"ID drilled out 1/64" larger. I used Nylon tube because I had it laying around, if purchasing something I probably would use a better plastic for this like PTFE or Derlin, but Nylon is widely used for this type of application and should hold up just fine.

A similar bracket can be made for the right side(stepper side) to gain another 1/2 - 3/4", if one were to clearance the saddle casting, another inch might be possible here(again depending on gib screw location beforehand). This bracket would have to be much more sturdy though to support the stepper and drive the table, as this end takes all the moving and cutting forces.

If you make this, be careful that your ball screw doesn't spew out ball bearings, my screw retracts into the nut a tiny bit, but no bearings lost so all is well.

Credit to Russtuff(madebyrus) for the coolant drain idea, without his video I wouldn't have touched this.

Short Video:

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Tjb433; 06-11-2017 at 11:28 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: G0704 extended X travel

Nice!

Obviously the bearing surface is reduced at that extreme of travel.

Do you think the leverage from the table will be a problem?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: G0704 extended X travel

I doubt it, you wouldn't want to be cutting out that far all the time of course, but once in while shouldn't cause any problems. The table is still very secure out that far, with no noticeable play. That being said, if your needs don't justify cutting at the the end of travel, then don't cut at the end of travel.

(I personally think it makes sense for people who use these machines alot to move their vice around on the table every once in a while, just to keep wear even.)

I'd imagine most wouldn't have any use for this extra travel, or this would have been done by now, but cutting around a 19" part in sheet stock happens to be a common distance for me(parts of equipment I manufacture), and this will allow offloading some manual work to the CNC on a regular basis, since previous travel was just short of getting a tool outside 19". Getting as much Y travel as possible is most definitely on the list of things to do as well.