Brushless motor for X3-sized mill

Thread: Brushless motor for X3-sized mill

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Brushless motor for X3-sized mill

I'm sure this has been answered before, so I'm happy with a link to another thread. Searching returned too much information to find a good answer.

So, to the case: I'm building a beefed up X3-sized mill and need a 1-2 kW brushless motor in the 5000 RPM range with a driver that works with Mach3. Budget is definitely an issue, and as I live in Norway heavy motors will cost quite a bit to ship.

One option is to get the motor from an SX3 and get a better controller, if that's available.

Similar Threads:
    - Lars Bjerke
    CNC-ing an SX3 to make a full-size CNC router to make some speakers. Why do it simple?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Although the question has indeed been asked before, there has yet to be a satisfactory answer to this. I have an SX3, and here is what I have done.

I am just finishing up a conversion of my stock SX3 motor with an AMC servo driver I got from Ebay. I am using an AMC B30A40AC drive, running on 220VAC, and have the drive interfaced to a Gecko G540 for on/off/speed control from Mach3; as well as a new front panel with a pot instead of the up/down switches on the SX3. As the motor is only 3600 RPM, this is not quite what you have in mind; but it is a known working solution. Options are to find a similar BLDC motor with a higher speed rating. One possibility is the Keling motor (Page Title - motor only - the listed controller has been deemed unsuitable) which is good to 6000 RPM. I may try one of these someday with my AMC drive if I ever find myself speed limited.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If your not stuck on using a brushless motor the treadmill PMDC motors with controller works very good for smaller mills. You can shop around on Ebay and find one that is 2 1/2 or 3 hp and they run upto around 7500rpm.

I am using one on a smaller mill and by using the controler that came on the treadmill I was able to get Mach3 to run & control it. Just be sure you get one that will turn CC/CW and yuo can even add a encoder and drive them with something like a Dugone or Granite Devices drive which will give you ridgid tapping and indexing if you wish.

Probably not as good as what your looking for, but I got mine free and I can control it with Mach3. By just adding a encoder I should be able to get ridgid tapping working, but probably not indexing without using something like a servo drive ( my BOB will except a encoder signal for the spindle to sync it which shhould work for tapping).

DMM Technology has some nice A/C setups but getting the RPM your after will be hard. I also wanted higher RPM and for the small mill I have the treadmill PMDC motor is great. I think Hoss has one on his G704 also.

Even if you did want a brushless motor the treadmill setup will work & can be had cheap which would get you by until you score something else. I believe its the Norditrac treadmills that have the best motors, but motor & controlller can be bought on Ebay for less than a houndred dollars most of the time.

The AMC and other such industrial drives/motors are a good setup if you can score one on Ebay. Out side of these two routes there is not much options other than going with a 3 phase A/C motor & VFD. IDK if the Keling setup has been performing good enough for the price. They may have fixed though , I am not sure.

Jess

GOD Bless, and prayers for all.

Downloads
    Uploads

Kelling has this ,

Page Title

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

As I understand it that motor controller has major issues that are unresolved. I don't think John (Keling) even recommends getting it at this point.

CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Novec View Post
    I'm sure this has been answered before, so I'm happy with a link to another thread. Searching returned too much information to find a good answer.

So, to the case: I'm building a beefed up X3-sized mill and need a 1-2 kW brushless motor in the 5000 RPM range with a driver that works with Mach3. Budget is definitely an issue, and as I live in Norway heavy motors will cost quite a bit to ship.

One option is to get the motor from an SX3 and get a better controller, if that's available.
    You can also use a standard 3 phase AC motor with vector drive inverter. Maybe a little more heavy/bulky and limited to 3kprm@50hz. I have a 3kprm which is running at 5k without any trouble.

80 frame are up to 1.1kW (10kg), 90 frame up to 2.2kW (15kg). All with S1 service (ie continuous operation).