Just a quick couple questions..

Thread: Just a quick couple questions..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Just a quick couple questions..

I finally got a new job after being without one for about a year due to how few available there are up where I live. So with that said, i'm kinda limited on my funds, i get paid in 2 weeks and I want a newer and bigger lathe than my little taig lathe. Its simply too small for what i usually work on.

I've been checking out grizzly.com and i was looking at 3 machines and want opinions and/or help deciding which to save up for and get...

G4000 9x19 lathe

G0516 Combo Lathe w/ milling attachment

G0602 10x22 lathe

I know most people on here say the 0602 but I dont have much space and it'd be nice to mill some stuff. Mainly work with aluminum and brass, but sometimes copper and 314 stainless steel.

How does the G0516 compare to the G4000? Better or worse?
    Sorry if im scatter-brained lol
    Any help or suggestions would be awesome

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

While I can't answer your specific questions, I would note that while the concept behind the G0516 may sound attractive, it may not turn out to be very practical. You may find that you get tired of constantly setting up and tearing down fixtures when you want to switch between a milling job and a turning job.

If you had a separate milling machine, then you could do the occasional milling job without changing your lathe setup. A lot of G0516 owners seemingly end up removing the milling head and buying a separate X-Y table and base for it.

So you may do better by getting a G0602 and then waiting for a 25% Harbor Freight coupon to come along so that you can get an X2 (HF 49991).

Although another consideration to take into account is that Grizzly always seems to be backordered on the G0602.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've had a G0516 for almost 10 years, and am very happy with it. It's a considerably heavier, stiffer machine than the G4000, and is very nicely made. It worked well right out of the box. The lathe is a Sieg C6. The milling part of the machine is a Sieg X2 column and head, bolted to a bracket along the back of the lathe ways. It is reasonably functional as it comes out of the box, but the best part is for only about $150 you can buy a complete X2 base assembly, and remove the column from the G0516, and you have a stand-alone X2 mill. The G0516 also comes with a number of nice accessories that you'd have to buy separately for the other machines - a QCTP, a nice 3" vice, and a set of collets. For the money, I think the G0516 is a great deal. Arguably, its only down-side compared to the G4000 is the lack of a gearbox. But, if you don't do a lot of thread-cutting, that really doesn't matter much.

The G0602 is, overall, a better machine, but also larger and more expensive. Were I looking for just a good lathe, that's the way I'd go. But if you don't need the size, or can't afford the cost, I think you'll be very happy with the G0516.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome, thanks for the replies guys! For $75 more, how bout the G9972Z 11x26 lathe?
    G9972Z 11" x 26" Bench Lathe w/ Gearbox

There's just so many choices!!! What I'm really wanting to do is to cnc a lathe, but I'd like to get one first. Doesn't it work out like you pay about the same amount of money on tooling as you do the base machine? If so, I'll be leaning more towards the 9x19 because of my very limited space and money.

How much really does it on average cost to CNC a 9x19/ 9x20 lathe? Minus the price of the lathe. Sorry for asking so much, i just read a bunch of different threads on here, but I don't see too many that post how much stuff costs..
    As usual, replies, comments, etc are welcome and appreciated!

-Ken

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MynamesKenny19 View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the replies guys! For $75 more, how bout the G9972Z 11x26 lathe?
    G9972Z 11" x 26" Bench Lathe w/ Gearbox

-Ken
    I like my 11X26 but I guess I am biased.http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...ion_why-9.html
    Its a great candidate for cnc and it will handle pretty much whatever you throw at it. It is built with many of the same components as the G0602 but with longer travels
    I would consider getting some HSS blanks for cutting tools as you can shape/sharpen them to whatever profile you need, and they are inexpensive
    My .02C is buy the biggest tool you can afford/have the room for as you will inevitably find a use for more travels/capacity.
    Its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

JTCUSTOMS

"It is only when they go wrong that machines remind you how powerful they are."
    Clive James

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i second the vote for the 11x26. I recently got one to replace the 7x10. Man O man....... going from the tiny one to the bigger one was like going from a Prius to a CADDY.

With all the extra tooling and capabilities its a great machine. After you go thru it and De-Bur it. It is big and heavy, but you wont regret the added capacity.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just a quick couple questions..-img_1794-jpg   Just a quick couple questions..-img_1789-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fixittt View Post
    i second the vote for the 11x26. I recently got one to replace the 7x10. Man O man....... going from the tiny one to the bigger one was like going from a Prius to a CADDY.

With all the extra tooling and capabilities its a great machine. After you go thru it and De-Bur it. It is big and heavy, but you wont regret the added capacity.
    Niiiicceee!........................SO when you going to cnc it?

JTCUSTOMS

"It is only when they go wrong that machines remind you how powerful they are."
    Clive James