G0727 horizontal mill

Thread: G0727 horizontal mill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default G0727 horizontal mill

Has anyone seen or used one. Some discussion several places but very little direct contact with machine. Anyone have any experience with one? Thanks

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I assume you've seen this thread?

Looks like a cool idea, but way too small for anything I can think to use it for..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Except for finding an Atlas, does anyone else produce a bench top horizontal?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lilguy View Post
    Except for finding an Atlas, does anyone else produce a bench top horizontal?
    You mentioned Atlas but also look for Baker (Barker), Benchmaster, Burke, Hardinge, Adcock & Shipley and a number of others. These are all decades old machine tools but some are in excellent condition. Or they can be project machines.

As to the Grizzly import, my personal opinion is that it is a great idea but just to small. Great buy though if you need a cartridge spindle. The big problem is the slim clearance below the center line of the spindle in horizontal mode. It is 5" according to the spec which offers very little space for cutter and work holding. If your needs can be squeezed into the working capacity of the mill it might not be a bad buy. The machine is referred to as a U1 at Sieg.

As for new machines that are horizontal bench top mills if you look hard enough you may find something available in China. There are an incredible number of manufactures there and I have seen small horizontals advertised.

These guys: milling machine direct from China (Mainland) have what the call mini horizontals though I believe they are much bigger than you want. Another also likely too big: Milling machine,View milling machine,KRISH Product Details from Krish Machine Tools on Alibaba.com. These guys have an extremely small horizontal mill: X1514B Small Horizontal Milling Machine China (Mainland) Milling Machine unfortunately maybe to small. Interesting design though. While not the Atlas you may be thinking about there is this option; Lathe - Milling Adda - Soltting - Grinders - rivet - Milling Adda.

Sad as it sounds I haven't been able to find a source for a NEW small horizontal mill that even comes close to the machines produced in the 40s, 50s & 60s. You end up having to choose from rather large mills or a limited set of combo mills. I actually thought that one of the Chinese bench top tool builders had a horizontal boring mill style machine sized for the bench top but finding that machine proved fruitless. There are many many builders in China that come and go.

Best of luck.

Just a quick edit, you can still buy Barker mills. This shocked me and I have no idea how much a new one costs. Apparently they are targeted mostly at production milling so don't expect all the bells and whistles in the base models.

Last edited by wizard; 11-23-2012 at 08:48 PM.