G0602 Conversion

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: G0602 Conversion

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default G0602 Conversion

I've been sitting on this machine long enough; it's time for some MOTION!

X screw is mounted between thrust bearings as was the original screw, and retained with a nut.

Z screw is mounted with a radial bearing at either end and a single thrust bearing at the motor end. I may go back and add a thrust bearing on the left end of the screw, but it's only really necessary if I'm going to be doing left hand operations.

I hope to get a computer attached tonight and start testing motion. After that, I need to build a riser/toolpost mount for the phaseII BXA post that I have for it.

Next I need to come up with something for a spindle index encoder. I plan to cut an index wheel out of 16ga steel on my cnc plasma table. Does anyone have a source on a good little optointerruptor module that I can use?

I'm trying out EMC2 for this project. I also ordered a mesa 7i43 to use, and I'm super excited about playing with that.

Similar Threads:
    Ian

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool.....I'm contemplating the same build. I just don't have the lathe, yet....lol.

What did you use for ball screws? I have some 5/8 Rotons with double nuts that are waiting for a home.

I'm looking at the cncforpc optical switch, or the PMDX. It appears that the cncforpc one has a remote sensor, which would be easier to manage.

Can you post some more pictures?

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

They are 5/8" rotons with square single nuts.

The X screw I made awhile back, and I turned it on my big clausing lathe. It came out ok, but I'm not thrilled with the concentricity and I may remake it.

The Z screw I just made over the last couple days. I have an old Reid surface grinder which I just recently got running, and I turned the ends down with a spin index on the grinder, and they came out GREAT.

Here's the X screw bearing block and motor mount:

The bearing block is basically a copy of the cast piece that the lathe comes with, and it pulls the screw up against a thrust bearing on the far side, with another thrust bearing on the near side and a nut. The motor mount is just a hollowed out block drilled and tapped on both sides. I did it that way to keep swarf and coolant out of the couplings.

Thats all that I have pics of on hand. Let me know if there's anything specific you want to see and I'll take some more this evening.

Ian

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh and thanks for the tip, Mike! I just ordered one of the opti index kits from cncforpc.

I'll try to get an index wheel drawn up and cut in the next few days.

I'm not sure if I'm better off with a single slot, or lots of slots. I guess it depends on how EMC2 will be configured to read the encoder.

Ian

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks

My biggest curiosity at the moment is if a double nut will work on the x......well, I guess I'm wondering on the z too. It's pretty much twice as long as a single.

Seems like there would be plenty of room on the z.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I suppose if EMC2 will read multiple holes, that would be better. Mach 3 will only work with 1 count per revolution.

I think CNCFORPC has a template on the site where the part is located.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There should be plenty of room on either axis, to be honest.

I had to mill out clearance for the ballnut on the carriage, but you'll have to do that regardless of single or double.

I basically positioned my ballnut mount so that the cross slide was all the way up against the motor mount at the same time that the ballnut was about as far up against the bearing block as possible. There's no limiting factor on the far end of travel, you'll just want to make sure that your X screw is long enough that you don't run the nut off the end at your mad desired slide travel.

The Z won't be a problem at all, because the double nut won't be as long as the apron. I took the guts out of my apron, milled a 1/2" slot into it, and there's a 1/2" aluminum ballnut mount that is dadoed into that slot and then secured by two 1/4-20 screws from the front of the apron. I'll try to get pics of that whole situation tonight.

Ian

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice conversion. I really like that x-motor mount. Definitely something to copy if I ever get around to reworking mine...

Downloads
    Uploads

Just to make sure that I understand correctly, did you clamp the ballscrew in a 5C collet to hold it in the spin indexer?

Did you manually turn the spin indexer during the grinding, and did you use the indexer stops or just rotate it freely?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
    Just to make sure that I understand correctly, did you clamp the ballscrew in a 5C collet to hold it in the spin indexer?

Did you manually turn the spin indexer during the grinding, and did you use the indexer stops or just rotate it freely?
    Yeah, I clamped it in a 5C collet and manually turned the indexer. Didn't use the stops at all.

For doing the short journal for the left end it was simple enough. For doing the long end, where I have a journal plus a 1/4" shaft for the coupler, it took a lot of passes, and the Z travel on my grinder is short enough that I had to reposition it a few times. Next time I do one like this, I'm going to try to do the initial cuts in a lathe, and then grind the bearing journals to size.

Ian

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Some updates:

I cut an encoder disk for the spindle index on my plasma table:

To get that behind the pulley, I needed spanners for those jam nuts, so I made some of them on the table as well. My consumables are pretty shot, and this is a really poor cut, but it works:

Ian

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice job

So it looks like EMC2 is good with a multiple count per revolution?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I started working on the electronics board:

I've made a bunch of changes in the way i typically do electronics for these machines. My comfort zone is mach3 + G540, very simple.

A friend of mine gave me SIX little ITX machines, they're old 1GHz VIA C3 machines. He also gave me two 1U rack cases, each case holds two motherboards and two power supplies and hard drives.

I've decided to try to switch over to EMC2 for a number of reasons. These C3 machines make pretty good CNC computers, but they're a bit on the slow side, and it limits my rapids pretty severely. That plus the allure of IO made me want to try the Mesa cards.

Since the Mesa card effectively is your breakout, and since I really only need two stepper drivers for this machine, I decided to grab a couple keling drivers. I got a pair of KL-6050s, and they came in today along with the Mesa card.

I'm working on figuring out how I'm going to wire this stuff up. Does anyone have experience interfacing these mesa cards with the keling drivers? The keling's inputs are just optocouplers, and their documentation shows them being driven by an open drain sink, but it'd simplify the wiring significantly if I can drive them from a source instead.

Ian

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

cool`````````I like it !

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by michaelthomas View Post
    Nice job

So it looks like EMC2 is good with a multiple count per revolution?
    I don't have everything going yet, but as I've read it, yes. I think the ideal situation is to have an indexed quadrature encoder.

The disk I cut has an edge every 20 degrees, which is 9 tabs. The slots are 10mm deep. The index slot is 20mm deep. I chose those numbers arbitrarily, and it occurred to me afterward that maybe I ought to know how deep the throat of my optointerruptors will be. I imagine I'll need to go back and recut a new disk, but that's ok.

18 edges at 3000rpm times three interruptors would be an awful lot of pulses to decode in software, but the Mesa card should be able to handle it no problem.

Ian

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

very nice .I like it !

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have no idea what that Mesa card does.....is it just a breakout board? Must do more than that.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

they call them "anything IO cards". It's an FPGA on a card, and you can load firmware onto it from the computer to make it do whatever you want. EMC2 supports it through a custom driver which allows you to configure it with up to nine axes, any combo of steppers or servos, and whatever type of IO you want. 48 IO total on the board I have, but they have bigger ones, as much as 144 IO or more...

The really big win with the Mesa card is that you can offload your step generation to it. That way, instead of your machine having to do the critical timings to generate pulsetrains for the steppers and count encoder pulses, the mesa can sit there and handle all that on its own, and the computer only has to do trajectory planning.

Ian

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

First chips!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HAtd-pK5XI"]YouTube - g0602 first chips[/nomedia]

Next I need to work on getting the spindle start/stop under machine control and the spindle speed pickup.

Ian

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice...

Is that black 5C collet chuck the one from CDCO, or is it from somewhere else?

How difficult was it to get it mounted on the G0602? Was it necessary for you to turn down or drill a backing or adapter plate in order to get it mounted, or (heaven forbid) turn down the mating area on the back of the collet chuck?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast