Need Help! Steppers run hot and make clunk noise

Thread: Steppers run hot and make clunk noise

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Steppers run hot and make clunk noise

Just finished my CNC conversion of my X2 mill and not sure if I have a problem.

I am using Keling steppers along with their Gecko 540 4 axis control box. I wired up everything per the Keling instructions and fired up Mach 3 and the CNC. My motors are set conservatively at 30" per min speed and 4" per min acceleration.

I did a test on the X, Y, and Z axis and everything worked, but I have a few concerns. First, all 3 steppers heated up to around 160 F. Secondly, there was a clunk sound from the stepper about every 2 revolutions of the axis. This occurred for all axis. I was only testing one stepper at a time. Mach 3 was stable and no faults indicated.

I have not touched the Gecko driver, nor made any software adjustments to any of the drivers.

As a final check, I ran the A axis stepper as a motor only (not connected to anything) and had the same results of 160 F stepper temperature and the clunk about every 2 revolutions.

My A, X, and Y axis steppers are the 382 oz model and the Z axis is the 495 oz model.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    rkbuild
    HF X2 Mill, HF 7x14 Lathe; Working on the CNC some day

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

What is the current (amps) setting? Do the clunk sound still happen if the motor shaft was disconnected from the machine?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Same situation with nothing attached.

Where would I set the amps? These are 3 amp steppers.

rkbuild

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi there rkbuild, I'm no electronics expert and ha my build thread can testify to this..... but I remember when I first connected my steppers and ran them for the first time on the table they ran flippin awful and the noise and vibration was like a hand drill on hammer action....unfortunately I don’t have the Gecko drivers and can’t give you a definitive answer…. but I do have the kelling digital stepper drivers and stepper motors, and my problem was that I had the stepper drivers set to output some ridiculous high micro stepping and also I hadn’t Mach configured correctly in the motor tuning window.

If you’re getting a similar response when the motor is disconnected from the machine and all steppers are acting similarly it’s probably a simple configuration problem, and I believe that setting the drivers to output a large micro stepping number doesn’t actually result in greater accuracy….. so as a starting point check your Gecko documentation and set the drivers to output ‘half step’ and also configure ‘motor tuning’ within Mach to output 1000 steps per inch…..and then go to the axis calibration and get Mach to calibrate your correct steps per/inch(mm).

Eoin

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rkbuild View Post

Attached a 3k resistor between pins 1 and 4 of each connector.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rkbuild View Post
    Same situation with nothing attached.

I may have misinterpreted your question ........but from my understanding you shouldn't have to change the amps going into the motor......your stepper motor's specification will tell you how to wire the motor and this will then dictate the stepper driver's output amperage you require i.e. for example....... if you've a driver that cannot output the stepper motor's required amperage then your motor will be under powered and will not output the motors stated holding torque.....
    But you shouldnt have to actually hard wire a resistor in parallel or in line........

Eoin

Downloads
    Uploads

The resistor is what sets the output current on the G540. It also enables automatic current reduction when the motors aren't spinning, which can greatly reduce temperatures.

My guess on the clunking is something in the PC interfering with the pulse stream. Possibly some software or a hardware device.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Have you followed these directions for XP Optimization for Mach3? I had done everything but the section on ACPI and was getting clicks and stops from the motors. I switched the computer to standard and now my steppers run smoothly up to 300IPM.

http://www.machsupport.com/downloads...timization.txt

Downloads
    Uploads

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    The resistor is what sets the output current on the G540. It also enables automatic current reduction when the motors aren't spinning...........
    Oops ...........thanks ger for that.......as I said earlier I'm no electronics expert and hopefully I haven't confused the thread and in my defense my only experience is with the Keling digital drivers......not the Gecko's

Eoin

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

All;

Thanks for input.

Ordered 3K resistors and will install and that should help heating problem.

Gerry, first thing I did was to set the computer to standard. I agree that it may be something in the computer as I am seeing a change in pulse time about the same time as I hear the clunk. One thing I need to do is upload the G540 file for Mach3 (finally read G540 install manual. I do see stable operation of Mach3 up to 60khz kernel speed when I run the test program. I do not see an excellent call out on the test screen except on an occasional basis. Still may have work to do.

Tried to set parallel port to EPP in BIOS, but computer doesn't have that option. BIOS screen does say that the ECP is both way communication (even says it is enhanced commo), so I am hoping that is not the problem.

Will be on business trip next week, so will see how it goes at end of next week and update you all.

rkbuild

Downloads
    Uploads

Just out of interest is the computer a PC or a laptop? And does it have a on-board serial port or is it a card? The EPP / ECP could cause issues! The Mach3 development is fairly specific in its requirements to run correctly.