G0602 Conversion - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: G0602 Conversion

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well.....I think I see what you are saying. Thanks.

I've been looking at other people's conversions, and I like the look of your mounts the most.

Still don't have my lathe, yet.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tmbg View Post
    yeah, it's the CDCO chuck. I had to order backplates from somewhere, I think it might have been MTW, and turn them down.

Turning the backplates was a real chore until I figured out that cast iron wants a really slow speed. After that, it machined like a dream.
    This 5C chuck uses an available Grizzly backplate. No turning required:

5C COLLET CHUCK:

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY Hans_G;661002: "]The Yahoo Grizzly 10x22 group had a few people who bought the CDCO 5C collet chuck and a spare 3 jaw chuck backing plate from grizzly (p/n P0602054-2, P0602054 is the 3 jaw chuck itself). The holes in the plate line up with the chuck."
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0602/parts/7

They used to cost about $25, but now they are $70. Quite an increase in price.

CR.

http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think this is the one I bought:

Back Plates for 11 in. Lathes (WT)

Griz wants $70 for theirs, WT wants $40. For me, that was worth the turning hassle.

Ian

Downloads
    Uploads

I've had the Grizzly backplate on back order for over 6 weeks now. At the time, WT was out of stock. I think I'll order the WT plate while they have it in stock.

cheers,
    Michael

Reelsmith, Angling Historian, and Author of "The Reelsmith's Primer"
    www.EclecticAngler.com | www.ReelLinesPress.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I noticed the sudden price triple myself. I was looking for something else on the spares site and wondered if that was a mistake? $70 for a threaded cast-iron plate.... uh no.

Glad I have the two I need. I guess I better not screw up though.

CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I bought two from WT; one went on my 5C chuck, and I have a spare. Considering that the lathe came with two chucks with backplates, I figure four plates total is enough to handle whatever I may need to do.

Ian

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is there any reason that you cant make one from steel? I keep eying a 6" cut-off that is sitting on the shelf at the metal supply place. and thinking it would make a nice back-plate and be less of grime filled mess to machine and thread.

I'm looking at the Southbend 6" 3 jaw set-tru in the latest Grizzly metalworking catalog and really lusting after it. It would need a back-plate that was custom built though because there are none that I can find in 1-3/4" - 8 thread that are thick enough for a set-tru boss. The steel slab would very likely do the trick.

I guess that it would be more prone to warping as it was cut down though and that this is why cast iron is generally used?

CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Downloads
    Uploads

Arrow

The OEM backplate from Grizzly is showing as in stock for $31.25 at present.

P0602054-2 CHUCK BACKPLATE

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234