My Wholesale Tools ZX45 CNC conversion - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: My Wholesale Tools ZX45 CNC conversion

Downloads
    Uploads

So, if it wired correctly as diagrammed in this post DIAGRAM how does opening the centrifugal switch cut out only the start capacitor? Wired like it is, it seems like it would cut both caps from the V circuit.

Downloads
    Uploads

For example, here are the 2 diagrams. The one with the red boxes is what I'm thinking of changing it to. The only difference is the green wire running into the terminal block was initially a black wire. It was like this from the factory.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Wholesale Tools ZX45 CNC conversion-wiring-diagram-corrected-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tobybirch007 View Post
    So, if it wired correctly as diagrammed in this post DIAGRAM how does opening the centrifugal switch cut out only the start capacitor? Wired like it is, it seems like it would cut both caps from the V circuit.
    That would be a bad idea, as the switch will no longer be able to turn off the start winding, since you've created a path through the start winding and the upper capacitor regardless of the switch state. Wired as it is, once the switch opens, one side of the line is completely disconnected from the start winding and both capacitors, so there can be no current flow through the winding.

Didn't you get a wiring diagram with the machine?

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Not that I can find, and I'm doubtful it would be of any use if I did.

This site seems to support what I'm saying under the "2. Capacitor Start Capacitor Run" secition.

Single Phase Induction Motors

and that a motor like this would still have the start winding operational to control direction and smooth out the current.

Downloads
    Uploads

Also, with it wired as it currently is, what is the point in having the dual capactiors if they're both taken out of the loop when the motor starts spinning?

Downloads
    Uploads

This is what you normally would have with a dual voltage, start/run cap motor.
    Al.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Wholesale Tools ZX45 CNC conversion-120_240v-pdf  
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I just rewired the whole thing with the diagram that I had earlier, which to my eye is the same as the one Al_The_Man posted.

It's whirring along really well. I had to switch the polarity on the capacitor/start winding circuit (V1 -> V2) in order to get it to run the same direction as the push buttons indicate.

I guess it's the cold weather. I can't think of any other way this happened and I only just now noticed it.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I really appreciate it.

EDIT: I'm assuming I can measure across the capacitors to determine if the start cap has actually been taken out of the circuit, sound right?

Last edited by DrewSmith007; 11-16-2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: added a question

Downloads
    Uploads

You could measure the AC voltage across the cap to see if it were still in circuit.
    Or from each line to the switched side.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234