Homier Mill CNC Conversion

Thread: Homier Mill CNC Conversion

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Homier Mill CNC Conversion

Hey guys, Im working on converting my homier mill to cnc with ballscrews and all the goodies. Although I really don't know exactly what to get and where.

Im thinking I want to keep the 1/16" per revolution. I have a guy to machine them and my motors, so I don't want to buy them machined already.

I am also gonna convert my spindle to belt drive, 9000rpm max with new bearings. One thing I wondered was is 9000rpm too much for some end mills? I have seen some rated at 9000rpm, but the carbides I have didnt say. I got them from jtsmachine.com, the 2flute carbide end mills. There wasnt much more info on them.

For drives, Im thinking about the Xylotex 3 axis drive, Im looking to spend as little as possible and still have a great machine. I took a look at the gecko drives, those are $100 a pop. little too much for me atm.

I have been looking around for nema 34 size steppers, 305oz, but can only find them for about $100 a peice. I heard about people getting all 3 for $100.

For software, Im not 100% sure on it, but I was thinking linuxcnc from linuxcnc.org, I need to get a friend to download it for me as Im on dialup. Does anyone know anything on that? That would be the CAM software right? not the NC software? what kind of stuff do I use for the NC software? Mastercam 8 I used at school, they had separate NC software to run the little router. Just a little curious about what I will need.

If you have any suggestions of what to and not to get, any links or anything of info, They are greatly welcome!

Thank you

Jon