Need Help! How to put ballnut back together

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to put ballnut back together

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to put ballnut back together

I have this ballscrew and nut that I got from linearmotionbearings2008. I need to grind of part of the flang on the ballnut so I took it apart because I don't want to damage the plastic parts. I thought it would be clear how to put it together once I had it apart. WRONG! I have no idea how to get this back together. It does not seem possible. Also I was very careful when taking it apart as I didn't want to lose any of the balls and it didn't seem like any balls went on the floor but now when I count them there is 50. I would have thought that there should be a multiple of 3 like 51 since there are 3 return tracks. This is a 16mm diameter with 5mm pitch. Any help would be appriciated.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to put ballnut back together-ballnut-exploded-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Put the orange plugs back in and one of the wiper on one end of the nut. use the wiper and screw it and the nut over the screw until you almost cover the first plug. You can now start adding the ball back in. you need to take something small to help the ball back down into the circuit. you have to do 1 circuit at a time. it will take a little time but I have done it with the same style screw many times now.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I spent a couple of hours trying to put that together last night but I couldn't get more than 15 balls in the first circuit. I took another ball nut off the screw to see how many balls were in it. There was 51. I sent an e-mail to Chai and asked him how many balls there should be in an RM1605. He responded almost right away and told me there should be 51. So it looks like I lost one.

I am going to leave this for a day or two. Lots of other things to do, and I will come back to it with a refreshed mind.

Downloads
    Uploads

I gave directions for putting the balls back in one of these nuts last year for another member, it is in post 112 in this thread
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...ew_ebay-3.html
    I was glad I did take them apart as I found a few bits of plastic in there and 2over size balls in one nut. He supplied a small bag of extra balls so there where no problems.

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Davo J View Post
    I gave directions for putting the balls back in one of these nuts last year for another member, it is in post 112 in this thread
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...ew_ebay-3.html
    I was glad I did take them apart as I found a few bits of plastic in there and 2over size balls in one nut. He supplied a small bag of extra balls so there where no problems.

Dave
    Thanks Dave. That is the post that I following when trying to get the balls in, but for some reason I could not get it to work. I must have read that post 15 times. I think part of the reason I am having more trouble than I should is that the ends of my ball screw are not machined yet. This makes it a little dificult to tell exactly where the thread starts when looking at the end of the screw. I will give it another go after I machine the ends of the screw.

I also noticed that there was a good deal of dirt inside the ball nut,which I found a bit surprising. So if I gan get the procedure down I will take apart all of the screws just to clean them.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SmoggyTurnip View Post
    Thanks Dave. That is the post that I following when trying to get the balls in, but for some reason I could not get it to work. I must have read that post 15 times. I think part of the reason I am having more trouble than I should is that the ends of my ball screw are not machined yet. This makes it a little dificult to tell exactly where the thread starts when looking at the end of the screw. I will give it another go after I machine the ends of the screw.

I also noticed that there was a good deal of dirt inside the ball nut,which I found a bit surprising. So if I gan get the procedure down I will take apart all of the screws just to clean them.
    Hi
    Sorry if the 112 post was a bit hard to understand, it is hard trying to put things into words instead of showing someone face to face, maybe I should do a video on you tube.
    You could mark the end of the screw where the thread starts with a permanent marker and it might help.
    Just drop all the balls for the bottom circuit into the nut, and then work them into the circuit. Then once that is filled do the same for the top circuit. Once you get it done a few times it will become easier.
    Once I got them in once, I took it apart again about 3 times just so I knew the procedure. Then when the question got asked in that thread I took it apart again so I could right down the procedure as I had forgotten a few things.

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would love to see a video of this. I already searched youtube for one. There are several that show how to reload ballnuts that have return tubes on the outside of the nut, but I couldn't find any for the type that have the return circuit on the inside of the nut. I will probably be trying this again on the weekend.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

SmoggyTurnip,

I just took mine apart (RM2005) and found that both of the ballnuts I took apart dont have a multiple of 3 for the ball count. I am ordering new balls and will see how many will fit, I think 20 per circuit is probably the correct number.

Anyway, I might attempt to video the reassembly once I get it down as I have a total of four ballnuts to complete.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by small_toys View Post
    SmoggyTurnip,

I just took mine apart (RM2005) and found that both of the ballnuts I took apart dont have a multiple of 3 for the ball count. I am ordering new balls and will see how many will fit, I think 20 per circuit is probably the correct number.
    the supplier says 51 which is 3 x 17! - more likely to loose one ball rather than 10 as you are suggesting!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kawazuki View Post
    the supplier says 51 which is 3 x 17! - more likely to loose one ball rather than 10 as you are suggesting!
    I ment 60 for the RM2005. Sorry for the confusion.

51 for the RM1605, I have the RM2005 which is slightly larger. I did not loose any balls upon disassembly, so I now something is wrong, one screw had 53, the other had 58, clearly not a multiple of 3. I have contacted Chia, just waiting on the reply.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I ment 60 for the RM2005. Sorry for the confusion.

51 for the RM1605, I have the RM2005 which is slightly larger. I did not loose any balls upon disassembly, so I now something is wrong, one screw had 53, the other had 58, clearly not a multiple of 3. I have contacted Chia, just waiting on the reply.
    I am 99.9% sure that I did not lose any balls when I disasembled the screw. Chai is going to send me 100 balls free (except I have to pay $12.00 shipping)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have recieved the McMaster order of 0.125" balls and have installed a total of 63 balls in the nut. Feels real smooth.
    It took about 2 minutes to install the balls, not hard at all. Camera needed to charge so will try for a video today.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's encouraging. I did machine the drive end of my screw on the weekend but I didn't get to trying to put the nut back on yet. A couple more evenings work making the motor mounts, bearing retainers etc for the x axis. and then I will try again.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I made the video but I dont have software to reduce its size and to edit the unwanted parts. Is their someone with software that could take care of this or is thier freeware?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is their someone with software that could take care of this or is thier freeware?
    You can use Virtualdub which is free. It will allow you to edit parts out and convert to other formats and size as well. If you need help using it let me know. How large is the video file?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Same situation for me, a video would be nice!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I will try to use virtualdub and see if I can create a youtube version of this video.

Not sure on the size but I will look when I get home.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yesterday I discovered on my table a white ring and 4 balls under my z-axis 1605 ballnut . Any chance for video?

Last edited by Maran; 05-04-2011 at 05:32 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Dont you think each ballscrew would or could have a different number of balls? I would think with the small variances in the screw it would fluctuate. I read of many people using oversize or staggered sizes to take up any and all slack. Just curious.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Maran,

I totally forgot about getting that video converted and uploaded. I am at work now but I will send myself an email and get this completed this week.

Yours should be real easy if you don't plan on disassembling it any further (ballnut to ballscrew). Just pull screw from the machine, the side that the wiper is missing is probably the side the balls fell from. Turn it so this side points up and rotate screw until the end just clears the plastic inserts for the top circuit and before the installed balls start falling out. Then you should be able to re-insert the 4 balls, you may need to twist the screw to help make room to push them down into the path. Then re-install wiper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast