Need Help! How to put ballnut back together - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to put ballnut back together

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

small_toys,
    Everything seems ok now. But from I read it is not bad idea to disassembly ballnut and clean it. So a video will be usefull.
    Thank you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Grease

So I had a similar problem when converting my 9x20 lathe, I've tried all the methods described previously to little avail so here is my solution:

1st Make sure all the three orange plastic recyclers are aligned to the bearing race.
    2nd Smear some grease(white teflon grease is best because it's easy to see the balls) onto your workbench that is VERY well lit.
    3rd pour all the balls into this thin layer of grease and coat them well enough so that they stick to things(this keeps from losing any)
    4th use a small flat head screwdriver to place the balls into the correct locations in the race. If you get them next to each other they should all fit.
    5th Very carefully thread the ballnut back onto the ballscrew.

Now you're done and the bearings have been packed with grease as well.
    2 birds with 1 stone.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It is really simple to reload the balls into the screw. I made the video on my second or third screw (I have 4 total) re-assembly.

Anyhow I tried Virtualdub to recompile the video but it does not work on .VOB files. Tried ImToo and it didnt work. So I need help on this, the video is 1GB and is in .VOB format. I will send it to someone who could edit it or point me in the direction for a free convertor.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Use handbrake. Best video encoder I've ever used and it's free.

Jeremiah
    PM45 CNC Build in Progress

Downloads
    Uploads

Here was my experience on this:

1. Give the ballscrew to a machinist to do some work on the ballscrew end.
    2. Forget to tell the machinist not to take the nut off because he was curious how it worked.
    3. Have said machinist bring the nut and ballscrew back missing a bunch of bearings.
    4. Buy new nut and ballscrew from Chai.

I still have it sitting here. I was going to talk to Chai on sending me the bearings for it the next time I place an order. I was going to request the bearings when I ordered the replacement ballscrew but then forget. Duh.

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

small_toys,
    I can try to convert this video, but how can I get ( download ) it ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Video now available on youtube

Well, check out this video. I am not a professional actor so dont laugh to hard, but it should help.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXdt5M8ZeoE"]YouTube - Repacking Linearmotionbearings Ballscrews[/nomedia]

Downloads
    Uploads

If anyone in the US orders anything from linearmotionbearings2008, could you do me a favor?

I need a few of the black plastic ball returns for a RM1610 Ballnut and some replacement balls. I attempted to take one apart before I knew much about them, and apparently, you don't pop them out from the outside, you break the little tabs that keep them in place. Doh!! I'm not in a hurry, I just don't feel like spending the $$$ it would cost in shipping from China.. So, I would be more than happy to pay normal US postage if anyone is willing. Hopefully I can clean them up and re-pack them and put them to use in something!

Thanks, Connor

Inner Vision Development Corp. - http://www.ivdc.com
    Website Design & Development. Shopping Carts, SEO and more!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by small_toys View Post
    Well, check out this video. I am not a professional actor so dont laugh to hard, but it should help.

EXCELLENT VIDEO.

Honestly this should be pinned/stickyed. I wish I had watched this before I learned how to do it the hard way, but I like the idea of the mark on the end of the ballscrew. Seems pretty roomy with the 20mm screws. I am working on the 16mm screws.

Downloads
    Uploads

I also confirmed .125" (1/8") bearings. 51 total for the RM 1605 screw, 3 sets of 17.

McMaster Part number: 9528K11

E52100 Alloy Steel Ball, 1/8" Diameter, Grade 25

Also, make sure all the plastic returns are all facing the same direction. Although I am not sure if I should reverse one set during pre-loading a second ballnut. I made some black marks so I know which direction to install them:
    How to put ballnut back together-ballscrew-08-jpg

Found some info on types of materials for Ball Bearing choices:

Most Common Ball Materials

Last edited by nateman_doo; 05-24-2011 at 08:24 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12