Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HM46 CNC convserion

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: another aussi!

Quote Originally Posted by daftec2@bigpond View Post
    Hi Kensby,

I'm in Brisbane. Anyone else doing an HM46 up here? I'd like to connect with locals who are doing it.
    Hey, I'm in Brissy too, about to buy an HM46 or MH-28V (any reason you went for the 46?). How are the tolerances on the bed/spindle for the 46? Much work to do before CNC'ing?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

I chose the 46 because it was the biggest machine I could reasonably afford from Machinery house... It is big enough and stiff enough for most milling jobs and has lots of features. the dovetail V's cyclindrical column is an davantage as we could power these also... in fact, I need to do more reading to see if powering these is the more practical rather than powering the quill downfeed.

If there is a Brisbane or Australian group for CNC-ing I'd like to find them and join up for the obvious advantages of mutual help/cross fertilisation. Lots of blokes here with more experience than I in this, and I'm a mechanical engineer with lots of electronics experience so can offer those skills to assist others. It is also so very obvious that while your mill is in pieces being measured, machined and having bits made to fit to it etc.. it is very handy to know someone local who has a mill that is still in 1 piece and making swarf.

I'm in Capalaba, and have a friend near caboolture with a digital read-out mill and DRO lathe. I have a DRO lathe but no DRO on the mill, and have been considering this as a lesser expense and much quicker mod.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

j3dprints,

Anyone in Brisbane, just add a dotcom to my username and contact me directly.
    Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

j3dprints

I looked at the HM-28V and it has less power and is lighter and therefore less stiff than the HM-46. It specifies smaller cuts etc. so that suggests less stiff. Stiffness is very important in a mill of course to reduce vibration and twisting under load. I dont remember tollerance on bed n spindle, but they are all adjustable, and we could pull them down and lap the ways for a "perfect" fit on x/y and Z but not the quill of course. I have found that the quill shaft bends when the quill grip is tightened even though it is about 60mm diameter... Everything bends under load, but I was surprised that it was so visible. Overall the 46 looks like a good machine and I have used it a lot manually. I will replace all the lead screws with ball screws.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by daftec2@bigpond View Post
    Hi,

I chose the 46 because it was the biggest machine I could reasonably afford from Machinery house... It is big enough and stiff enough for most milling jobs and has lots of features. the dovetail V's cyclindrical column is an davantage as we could power these also... in fact, I need to do more reading to see if powering these is the more practical rather than powering the quill downfeed.

If there is a Brisbane or Australian group for CNC-ing I'd like to find them and join up for the obvious advantages of mutual help/cross fertilisation. Lots of blokes here with more experience than I in this, and I'm a mechanical engineer with lots of electronics experience so can offer those skills to assist others. It is also so very obvious that while your mill is in pieces being measured, machined and having bits made to fit to it etc.. it is very handy to know someone local who has a mill that is still in 1 piece and making swarf.

I'm in Capalaba, and have a friend near caboolture with a digital read-out mill and DRO lathe. I have a DRO lathe but no DRO on the mill, and have been considering this as a lesser expense and much quicker mod.
    There is hackerspace at Hamilton but it's a fair drive. Having said that I may join it one day.

What sort of things are you looking at making on your HM-46? My first items will be parts for a CNC router so I may go for the Optimum as accuracy is more of a concern than stiffness. H&F will measure two up for me this week though, who knows the Hafco might have closer tolerances.

I am surprised the quill of the HM-46 was visibly deflecting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12