Build Thread X2 CNC Conversion has begun!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: X2 CNC Conversion has begun!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default X2 CNC Conversion has begun!

Well after who knows how long i am finally getting around to converting the X2... I've got the majority of the Z axis done... The X axis is done.. & The Y Axis is almost done... Hoss machined the ball screws for me and i should have them in a few days... I'm going to order the ball nuts for it here soon... I've got the stop blocks machined to size but haven't had a chance to drill the holes for them yet... I also need to purchase a 15/16-16 tap to tap them with...

So far so good though... Thanks to Hoss for working with me on machining the ball screws... as well as him being so kind to posting pics with all the dimensions on his site.... No to mention the DXF files....Thanks bud.. I really appreciate it!!

Anyhow.. Here are a few shots of what it currently looks like....

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-xyz-mounts-095-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-xyz-mounts-255-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-xyz-mounts-259-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-x-axis-mount-067-jpg  

X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-x-axis-mount-057-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-x-axis-mount-014-jpg  
    http://www.quarterscaleprostreetberetta.com/

Downloads
    Uploads

Buddy - that watermark is a PITA - are you really that worried about the pictures getting ripped off? Otherwise enjoy your conversion

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah unfortunately that's precisely why i watermark my pictures... I haven't had any issues with members here though... Other sites...

I'll update with non-watermarked ones now... Got my ball screws that hoss machined for me today... They look awesome... The man is highly skilled that's for sure...

Thanks again hoss
    Stoney

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-xyz-mounts-251-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-xyz-mounts-255-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-xyz-mounts-257-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-xyz-mounts-260-jpg  

X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-x-axis-mount-075-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-x-axis-mount-057-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-xyz-ballscrews-027-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-xyz-ballscrews-028-jpg  

X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-xyz-ballscrews-031-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-xyz-ballscrews-034-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-xyz-ballscrews-035-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-xyz-ballscrews-037-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is that an IV for your mill?

Downloads
    Uploads

LOL...

No... It's actually a Gastronomy tube bag.. G-Tube.. AKA feeding tube... My mother has a G-tube and i use one of her bags filled with 5W30 oil to lube the ways/ball screws on the mill... It has a small hand pump on the end and i just compress it a few times prior to each run... I'll eventually plumb an oiling system for it...

It's kinda funny you would say that... Hoss said... Cool an X2 on life support!!

LOL

Downloads
    Uploads

It looks like the handwheels on your X2's X and Y axes are similar to the ones on my X-Y table. I'm trying to figure out how to remove the handwheels from my leadscrews (see my post at http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112308 ).

Have you actually removed the handwheels from your X2's original leadscrews, or did you simply remove the leadscrews, handwheels, bearings and all, because you are replacing them with ballscrews?

If you did remove the handwheels, can you explain how you did it?

Thanks...

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work on the mounts.
    You're off and running now.
    Lots of fun awaits.
    Hoss

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks...

Yeah i can't wait to start learning the fundamentals of Mach 3... I'm trying to learn all i can from the mach 3 tutorials I've seen so far...

I'm sure i will pick it up fairly easy... If not.... I know there is a great group of guys here that will help me out

Stoney

Downloads
    Uploads

Well i now have the majority of the Y-axis mount done... I still need to machine the bearing recess into the spacer block but other than that it's done... I also drilled/taped the top of the spacer block to accept the stock way cover... I'll eventually get some new wider way covers for it... Perhaps I'll attempt to make some for it... LOL.. As you may have noticed it's currently still sporting the stock leadscrews... I ordered the ball nuts from...http://www.roton.com/Mating_Componen...mber=59321&#PN

And should have them in a few days... Hopefully i can get back to the mill conversion next weekend sometime... So far so good though...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-y-axis-mount-052-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-y-axis-mount-055-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-y-axis-mount-072-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-y-axis-mount-073-jpg  

X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-y-axis-mount-075-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-y-axis-mount-078-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-y-axis-mount-082-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-y-axis-mount-085-jpg  

X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-y-axis-mount-088-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-y-axis-mount-089-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-y-axis-mount-092-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Major problem. Where are your Y axis thrust bearings? If you tighten that screw to take up lash, it will cause missed steps. If you loosen enough that it moves smoothly, you will have too much lash.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was going to say the same thing. I think the pocket for the thrust bearing is in the piece behind it - you probably just need to open the hole up on that outer piece so its bigger than the lock nuts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is how it will set up guys..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-y-axis-assembly-large-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

okay, so you're going to open up the lead screw hole on the motor mount plate so you can tighten the nut somehow against the outward thrust bearing? Even a collar extension over the shaft so that the nut has a way to contact the thrust bearing will work. What won't work is if you tighten the nut directly or with a washer onto the motor plate. That way negates the outward thrust bearing.

Downloads
    Uploads

He's obviously just doing a test fit of the brackets, he said he still has boring to do yet,
    the z base doesn't have the bearing bore either.
    The ballscrews are sitting there waiting to go in too, one step at a time.
    Hoss

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes guys I am just trial fitting all the mounts first... As hoss said,,, The z-axis isn't done yet either.. Sorry if i miss led yaa boys'

I'll have it completed in few weeks

Stoney

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm a few days behind you, doing the same conversion. Made most of them last night...no sleep...but it was nice and cool .

I have most of the brackets made, but my X2 is still in pieces on the floor after cleaning. I need to put it back together and start fitting the brackets on it.

Keep us posted and let us know if you have any problems, I'm likely to run into them too

Downloads
    Uploads

aucran... Will do!

Well while I'm waiting on the majority of the bearings/ball nuts i decided to machine the stepper crank handles for the mill.... Yeah i know guys... I'll probably never use them... I'm going to run mach 3 so I hear Jog/MPG is the way to go to operate it manually.... Oh well... They look kinda cool

There are a few dimensions i didn't get quite perfect though... The actual handle center bore is a tad of center... Other than that all is well...I think..LOL

Here are a few mock up shots of them mounted to the lead screw shaft...

Stoney

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-crank-handles-102-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-crank-handles-104-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-crank-handles-106-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-crank-handles-108-jpg  

X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-crank-handles-111-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-crank-handles-113-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-crank-handles-116-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-crank-handles-118-jpg  

X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-crank-handles-121-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-crank-handles-129-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been converting mt x2 mill to CNC !
    I have a Question I have a usb warp9TD and C23 dual port breakout board !
    will I need to buy a older computer to run My CNC mill .
    I have a laptop that has windows 7. but Mach2 only works in xp 32 bit or vista 32 bit .
    Is there a way to run this on my HP ?
    I need Help on this !
    Thanks
    Philip

Downloads
    Uploads

Philip.P I haven't a clue my friend... I'm just now learning the basics of the X2 conversion and haven't even had the time to learn all the electronics that's involved yet... Perhaps you should start a thread on your questions here... I'm sure someone here could answer all your questions... these oll boys are filed up to the ears in knowledge!!

Now on to the X2 conversion... Well i now have the tooling plate done.. It's constructed from 5/8'' mic-6 aluminum.. The dimensions are.. 5/8 x 10 x 18 I slotted the mounting area 4 inches in both directions... which will give me + 4'' & - 4'' off center... This will allow for 4 addition inches to the y-axis travel... I will eventually make a guide for it that will attach to the left side of the table... Then if/when i need to move it all i will need to do is loosen the mounting screws and just slide it... It will stay square to the lower table because of the mounted slide fixture... If you will... I think you all know what I'm talking about...

I also did the first test on the rotary table/ cam grinder... All in all it worked quite well... However... I did have to remove the table and base plate and install a few lock washers... It had quite a bit of chatter... as you can tell by the pics below... I didn't even check it with the dial test indicator on this first test... just eye balled it and started making round chips..lol I'll be doing a few more test with it soon.. then once I'm happy with it I'll start the boring of the Z/Y mounts on the mill... geeze... I may actually have the mounts and ball screws done and installed by the end of January yet!!!

It don't have much Z-axis clearance though in the vertical position... With the 4'' 4 jaw chuck on it i may have 2 inches to play with if that... Which may be enough for what i need to mill now... I will most likely raise the column at the base by 4 inches or so in the future... Kinda like Txfred did... I do have ample room in the horizontal position though... which is all i really care about... As long as i can squeeze a 7'' piece of steel rod between the table and tail stock I'm good to go..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-tooling-plate-5-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-tooling-plate-7-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-tooling-plate-12-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-tooling-plate-23-jpg  

X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-tooling-plate-31-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-rotary-table-test-6-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-rotary-table-test-10-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-rotary-table-test-11-jpg  

X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-rotary-table-test-15-jpg   X2 CNC Conversion has begun!-rotary-table-test-20-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Your Mill looks like a science project with all the hoses! sweet!
    I like the tooling plate btw. Is that a home made rotary table?!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast