Hoss's G0704 - Page 227

Page 227 of 344 FirstFirst ... 127177217224225226227228229230237277327 ... LastLast
Results 4,521 to 4,540 of 6871

Thread: Hoss's G0704

Downloads
    Uploads

what does timeout mean? auto shut-off?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dnepr0mike View Post
    what does timeout mean? auto shut-off?
    Yes, I was just looking this up again and found this link to a guys installation of the igaging scales on his rong fu.
    Snailworks RFMill
    He set his up to run off of dc power instead of batteries.
    It still auto shutoff after 5 minutes but he says it remembers the position when you repower.
    Hoss

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have had IGaging scales on my G0704 for a year or so, with no problems. I'm still o hte original batteries. The time-out feature is a bit of a PITA, but it does remember its position when you turn it back on. On mine, the accuracy seems to be a lot better than the advertised 0.002 over 6 inches. The read-outs are a little dim, and you have to have them positioned so that you don't get a glare on the screen from your lights. A better, brighter read-out, like a Shumatech would be nice. But it's a lot better than reading dials.

Downloads
    Uploads

Going back to the earlier discussion about the C7 ballscrews and nuts from Chai at linearmotionbearing on Ebay,
    http://stores.ebay.com/linearmotionb...p2047675.l2563
    I just got my order delivered, 10 days from the time I paid with Paypal to my door.
    Overall very happy with them, one bearing shaft needed a touch of sanding near the face to get the bearing all the way seated though.
    Runout seems very good on my calibrated table.
    Very pleased.
    Hoss

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

well then I guess Linearmotion looks like a supplier to bookmark if you're happy...

Eoin

Downloads
    Uploads

They were already on my list of recommended suppliers, I ordered from them before but didn't document it till now.
    Hoss

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hoss,

I really hate to clutter your thread but I am literally at a dead end and I am hoping you can help me out.

Hoss's G0704-img_0354-jpg

The first pic is of my original X-Axis ball screw assembly from Chai. As you can see he machined it incorrectly so I couldn't use my current ball nut mount unless I got a new one...so i did. I got a second 6" section of 1605 with another ball nut and I took it off and ground it down myself. I have not been able to successfully thread the new ball nut onto the original X-Axis ball screw using both sets of balls that came packed in the ball nuts from Chai. I also got another set from tool supply on eBay so I have three sizes, .1225, .1235, and .1245 and the ball nut does the same thing with all three balls.

Hoss's G0704-img_0909-jpg

That is a picture of my current setup, I machined one tube with an OD of 13.8mm and one tube with an OD of 13.6mm. I slide it over the machined portion of the ball screw and then it seems like the ball nut will thread on for about half a turn or so and then it locks up. I originally tried with just grease to hold the balls in place but the same thing was happening so I originally thought I was pushing balls out when I slid it over the machined end...thus the decision to make the tubes. However the tubes did not solve my problem...when it locks up I cannot detect any slop in the nut, if I try to pull it off it won't budge.

I would be very grateful if you could use your extensive knowledge of these machines and hopefully help me solve this problem so I can finally get this thing put together.

Do you think the balls are too big?

Thanks for any help.

Downloads
    Uploads

Which end of the ballnut are you trying to start on the ballscrew?
    I wonder if the thin section where it was ground has deformed slightly inward creating a tight spot,
    if that's the side you start first.
    Hoss

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have tried on both ends with no success and I have tried flipping the tube which produced the same results.

Due to the crappy lathe at my work it machined a slight taper in the tube so one end is 13.6mm and the other is 14.3mm.

I have heard of people getting .1265" balls in these things so I am having a hard time believing that they are too big...especially at .1225"

Downloads
    Uploads

Is it just this one nut giving trouble? Have you had luck installing the other nuts?
    I have to flip all 3 nuts on the screws I just got tomorrow so I'll try repacking one, made a tool too to flip them easy to try out as well.
    If it works for me I'll send it to you, foc.
    Hoss

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hoss,

I can't thank you enough, you are the best!

As for the other nuts, I have installed them fine on the screws without the end machining, but this nut has consistently given me trouble no matter what method I use. I will try with the junk nut that I have just to see if I can get it to work, would be interesting if it went right on.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Now I am confused...

I just packed the original nut with the original balls and I got it threaded on in two minutes.

Hoss's G0704-img_0919-jpg

Does that mean my balls are indeed too big? Wouldn't be the first time that got me into trouble...

I did notice that when I slid the machined tube in, after packing the ball nut, it was much easier and felt like it fit much better. The other nut that I ground down, even with the smallest .1225" balls, has a much tighter fit on the tube and I have to be very careful or I will end up knocking a couple balls out.

I have never heard of someone having to go that small before, most people I know get oversize balls to help soak up any extra backlash.

What do you think?

Downloads
    Uploads

yeah it sounds like the problem nut is undersized, was it ever installed on a screw maybe the 6 inch piece you ordered?
    If so measure the major and minor diameters of that piece and the good ballscrew you have there.
    Might need to get a new nut or keep going with smaller balls till you get joy.
    Hoss

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I think we found our culprit.

I was seriously starting to doubt my mechanical skills!

It did come installed on the 6" piece straight from Chai but I don't have it on me, it's at my work so I will measure it on Monday to compare.

I wonder how small I would have to go...or maybe getting a new nut is easier/faster.

Thanks again Hoss!

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah at what, $12 a pop for balls it could be more worthwhile getting a new nut than bag after bag to find a set that works.
    I searched his store and nothing turned up for left hand threads so that shouldn't be a possible cause.
    Hoss

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all
    New to the thread,(been a watcher/follower) since I got my g0704 last year.. playing with it a bit but really want to get it cnc'd.
    Hoss this is great,lots of good info and ideas..no way I could keep up with all you're doing,just a little at a time for me...time and money are what dictate how much i can get done and I never have enough of either..
    Anyway just want to pop in and say hello, also Hoss I purchased your dvd over the weekend,cant wait to get it and get started converting my mill. I have ordered the steppers and drivers from your recommended package @the g0704 site.. going with the 2 nema 23's and 1 nema 34 and the 6050 + 8060 drivers etc. from Automation Technology Inc,I want to get a jump start on getting everything together. I see you've sent the dvd out already (awesome) anyway can you email or pm me the lengths I need for the (2)1605/16mm and (1)2005/20mm ballscrews, I'd like to get them ordered asap, probably go with the ones from chai.
    I figure I'll have most everything I need to get phase 2 plans going by the time the ballscrews arrive..
    Keep up the great work,I have a lot to catch up on, I have my prusa mendell done and I see now I will have to follow your thread on that as well and start on my powder coating too..I cant keep up with you Hoss : )
    Have a great day
    Bobby

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You're not alone Bobby. A lot of us are amazed at the quality and amount of work Hoss has been doing over the years and sharing with the community.
    None of us can keep up. I think most of us have accepted that.

Welcome to the community!

adrian.

adrian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys but I had a few years head start on you.

Since the discussion on the C7 ballnut with Drock, I thought I'd try the grease trick that was brought up by him and others and it works great as they said.
    I also had to flip my nuts on the screws I just got so I made a tool for that.
    Was a little snug but I'll remake another with a smaller OD for next time.
    Hoss

Downloads
    Uploads

Here's the print for the C7 ballnut removal tool.
    Hoss

Hoss's G0704-c7-ballnut-removal-tool-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Hoss,
    So the OD of .530 is the revised size or the size of the printed part you used in the video?

adrian.

adrian.

Page 227 of 344 FirstFirst ... 127177217224225226227228229230237277327 ... LastLast