Hoss's G0704 - Page 3

Page 3 of 344 FirstFirst 1234561353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoss's G0704

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mrcodewiz View Post
    Hoss-

I was looking at your electronics list - on the 'best' setup, what do you get out of the C11G that you don't get from the C10 BOB?
    that's from Kelings kit, basically the C11G has a charge pump and spindle control built in.
    Hoss

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BAR553 View Post
    Pardon the interuption of a newbie post.
    First of all let me add my thanks to HOSS and the rest of you for my growing knowledge. I bought my 704, as a result of the hoggin videos, convinced it will do anything i would need.

Somewhere HOSS I think or someon enearly as smart, said that CNC helps you make consistant parts, but does not make you a machinist. I look forward to adding CNC, but I want to learn how to do thing manually first.

So two dumb questions. Why all the need for speed? If you are not in a production environment and have time, do you need it? Second: I thought I would start with a nice easy project like the spindle wrench that Hoss gave the specs for. How does one cut radii, inside or ouside without CNC....... Rotary table? Any good reffernece material that is "how to" anyone can recommend?

Again thanks for letting me listen to the conversations, maybe one day I can add something useful!
    Basically as photomankc said, speed is money. Sure it's not as important for a guy just as a hobby.
    Newbies should go slow anyway. You need to worry more about getting a good part
    than getting one fast. When I put someone new on a job in the production machine shop I was foreman,
    I told them to take their time, speed will come with practice.
    Same goes for CNC, you don't run your first part with the machine maxed out,
    unless you're fond of crashes.
    If it's a production run, you increase speed a bit after each good part.
    A rotary table is a good tool to have around, lots of uses for it manually
    and then could be converted to a 4th axis for CNC.
    Have a bunch of links here for some educational materials.
    http://www.hossmachine.info/forum/ya...n-Newbies.aspx
    Hoss

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    I'll probably just Phase out the stock and hardware kits, too many options
    and not worth the trouble.
    The phase 2 version barely needs any stock or hardware to complete.
    Hoss

lol, ok lets try that from a different angle...

if i buy the stock kit now, will it include both the phase 1 and 2 prints?

http://www.g0704.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

that's from Kelings kit, basically the C11G has a charge pump and spindle control built in.
    Hoss
    Will those steppers run at the full 7 amps or is that the most they can take?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BAR553 View Post
    Second: I thought I would start with a nice easy project like the spindle wrench that Hoss gave the specs for. How does one cut radii, inside or ouside without CNC....... Rotary table? Any good reffernece material that is "how to" anyone can recommend?

Again thanks for letting me listen to the conversations, maybe one day I can add something useful!
    Yeah, the rotary table is handy (well required for circular cuts without CNC) for circular cuts as well as indexing and also for angles. The way I ended up using mine most often has been for making angled features. It makes cutting at an angle a snap (after setup). Setup time is the biggest pain with them. Cutting an arc and finding a way to accurately position the table, and the stock to do so is not dead simple.

Downloads
    Uploads

Will those steppers run at the full 7 amps or is that the most they can take?
    In kelings package the X and Y motors are rated 3A and 4.5A for the Z,
    The driver CAN put out 7A but you'll have to use current set resistors to get down to 3 and 4.5. They show it in the manual.
    Hoss

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have never used the Geckos before - looking at the manual, it says you need a heatsink if you go over 3A. Is that something you have to get separately?

Downloads
    Uploads

a lot of people bolt them to an aluminum plate with a fan blowing across.
    Hoss

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mwood3 View Post
    lol, ok lets try that from a different angle...

if i buy the stock kit now, will it include both the phase 1 and 2 prints?
    too late, the ax has fallen.
    Hoss

Downloads
    Uploads

too late, the ax has fallen.
    Hoss
    aww, thats disapointing...would work out good for me as i do not have anyway to size material yet...no bandsaw or the like...

http://www.g0704.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I got by with a 7" angle grinder and cut-off wheel for cutting stock to VERY ROUGH dimensions. I now have a Horror Freight 14" chop saw ($90) and that helps make it less of a white-knuckle experience and lets me make a much closer cut, but the grinder worked for everything I needed to do below 1.5" thick and cost all of $30. I'll likely never have a bandsaw but I just try to chose stock that is the correct thickness and width and then cut the chucks off I need over time I have developed enough scrap cut-offs that I rarely need to buy new stuff. I have a couple places here locally that will cut metal to small lengths and sell it that way. Saves me a lot of time and shipping costs. Might look around and see if there is something similar out there in your area.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mwood3 View Post
    aww, thats disapointing...would work out good for me as i do not have anyway to size material yet...no bandsaw or the like...
    speedymetals.com will cut to whatever length you need, no minimum order.
    Hoss

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

In my opinion, this was probably one of the most important purchases I have made throughout the entire lifetime of my hobby. It has paid for it's $179 over and over again.

Downloads
    Uploads

In my opinion, this was probably one of the most important purchases I have made throughout the entire lifetime of my hobby. It has paid for it's $179 over and over again.

Will that cut steel by chance?

Downloads
    Uploads

I wore out an older green HF bandsaw already. I am working on wearing out one of the newer red ones like in the picture. I have had to tweak it and replace a couple bearings as well as address the lower wheel shifting on the shaft, but now it's a fine little bandsaw.
    20% discount coupon works great at check out too.

Oh yeah. It cuts steel. Even hard stuff as well as stainless. I usually buy Starrett blades for this from Mcmaster Carr at about $20 each.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You should have no problems.
    My thinkin too is to keep the big equipment manual and CNC the smaller stuff.
    Hoss

My big clausing is actually kinda worn out, unfortunately, but that's ok for manual work. My knee mill is in very good shape, and I have a nice Anilam DRO on it. Just didn't seem like a good CNC conversion candidate, mostly cause I didn't want the DRO money to go to waste.

Anyway, I paid for a set of phase2 plans this morning! Looking forward to seeing them. I figure I can start getting stock together and machining parts while I wait on grizzly's backorder.

Ian

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tmbg View Post
    My big clausing is actually kinda worn out, unfortunately, but that's ok for manual work. My knee mill is in very good shape, and I have a nice Anilam DRO on it. Just didn't seem like a good CNC conversion candidate, mostly cause I didn't want the DRO money to go to waste.

Anyway, I paid for a set of phase2 plans this morning! Looking forward to seeing them. I figure I can start getting stock together and machining parts while I wait on grizzly's backorder.
    download info sent to your paypal gmail address a couple hours ago,
    may need to check your spam or bulk folders.
    Hoss

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    I wore out an older green HF bandsaw already. I am working on wearing out one of the newer red ones like in the picture. I have had to tweak it and replace a couple bearings as well as address the lower wheel shifting on the shaft, but now it's a fine little bandsaw.
    20% discount coupon works great at check out too.

Oh yeah. It cuts steel. Even hard stuff as well as stainless. I usually buy Starrett blades for this from Mcmaster Carr at about $20 each.
    I have had a green one for probably 5 or 6 years. I have gone through many blades - I now just buy the bi-metal ones at my local harbor freight. They work fine. The only maintenance I have had to do other than that was replace 4 of the guide bearings.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

download info sent to your paypal gmail address a couple hours ago,
    may need to check your spam or bulk folders.
    Hoss
    You're right, it slipped through the cracks; I found it. Thanks!

Ian

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tmbg View Post
    You're right, it slipped through the cracks; I found it. Thanks!

ok good to hear.
    Hoss

Page 3 of 344 FirstFirst 1234561353103 ... LastLast