Hoss's G0704 - Page 277

Page 277 of 344 FirstFirst ... 177227267274275276277278279280287327 ... LastLast
Results 5,521 to 5,540 of 6871

Thread: Hoss's G0704

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hoss's G0704

Snug enough that you can't feel any slop (up/down) in the spindle but it can still freely rotate, should spin a little on it's own after you spin it by hand, no belt installed.
    Sorry for being too technical.
    Hoss

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    Snug enough that you can't feel any slop (up/down) in the spindle but it can still freely rotate, should spin a little on it's own after you spin it by hand, no belt installed.
    Sorry for being too technical.
    Hoss
    Thanks Hoss. I'll likely attack the belt mod in a couple of months. I'll purchase your plans for that. Your CNC conversion plans are very good. I would likely not have attempted it without them.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All
    I have been waiting to here about the double ball nuts from Linear motion. Any news on them yet? Didn't you get a set Hoss?
    CH

Downloads
    Uploads

Mine are sitting on the table waiting to be installed.
    I'm setting up a new mill pc before I can get busy machining the mounts for them, just a couple weeks more.
    Hoss

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just got mine from Chai yesterday. They are very smooth. I was ready to start my conversion when I saw the video and decided to get the double nuts instead. Couldn't resist. I'm hoping to get to them this weekend. It's looking like they might go in with just taking a bit off the front of the base for the Y nut.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All
    I got mine coming also. I got and Email from Chai where I got my ball screws andd nut from when I did my CNC conversion last year. He gave me a "special discount one time customer price" so I sent the payment and they should be some where between china the US. He did give me a good price compared to ebay prices. I'm not going to tear down my mill just yet. So I'll maybe get to see what ever body else says about them before I get started.
    Have a good one
    CH

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hoss's G0704

He offered me a "special price" also. I have ordered 2 sets of screws from him in the past. Pool chemicals ate a set. Lesson learned.

A lazy man does it twice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah I figure it is the same special price every body gets any way I should have mine by next month. I'm looking forward to seeing them. I don't have a lot of backlash in mine but hey what the heck.
    Happy chips.
    CH

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I never ordered from him in the before and I got the "Best Special" price. I was half expecting the regular nuts for the price.

Pulling the nuts off the Y to get it in the base should be interesting. I haven't yet located a suitable tube to slide into the nut.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    He offered me a "special price" also. I have ordered 2 sets of screws from him in the past. Pool chemicals ate a set. Lesson learned.
    Are you saying pool chemicals damaged the parts? Please explain in more detail.

JoeyB

A doughnut a day keeps the doctor away.

Downloads
    Uploads

Joey, if you have pool chemicals (especially Muriatic acid even in a sealed container). Don't store any machinery or metals near them. It rusted my ball screws being in a dry dark closet with the pool chemicals. Oxidizers are not good for them.

All of my pool chemicals stay outside in a plastic cabinet now. It even corroded a few fasteners on my dirt bikes. Glad I caught it early, though the ball screws were rumored. Oddly enough dipping the rusty screws in the acid made the rust pour off but the smooth polished finish was destroyed.

A lazy man does it twice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Joey, if you have pool chemicals (especially Muriatic acid even in a sealed container). Don't store any machinery or metals near them. It rusted my ball screws being in a dry dark closet with the pool chemicals. Oxidizers are not good for them.

All of my pool chemicals stay outside in a plastic cabinet now. It even corroded a few fasteners on my dirt bikes. Glad I caught it early, though the ball screws were rumored. Oddly enough dipping the rusty screws in the acid made the rust pour off but the smooth polished finish was destroyed.
    Fastest1,

Sounds like a staple item Goodfellas keep laying around in the closet for a rainy day.
    Is your trunk lined with Visqueen?

JoeyB

A doughnut a day keeps the doctor away.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry if this has been covered already but I didn't find it in the tread.
    What is the downside of a MT spindle compared to a R8 one?
    The optimum and most other brands here in Europe use a MT2 but one local company imports them with a MT3 spindle. R8 spindles are not available on hobby machines over here.

Downloads
    Uploads

Availability of tooling is the downside but I'd imagine in your area MT tooling is much more available just like R8 is here so it's not much of a downside in that respect, besides you can get anything worldwide online.
    If you are thinking of using quick change tooling with a power drawbar like TTS tool holders then MT3 is the one to get as MT2 is too small to work.
    Just depends on what you want to run, many with MT2 use ER holders for just about everything.
    Hoss

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I saw that tormach sells a TTS set for the MT3 so was looking for going that way.
    And pretty much everything is available with MT3 over here. Will probably start out with ER holders and learn some machining basics. Have no real machining experience except for some basics at college so I'll be using the mill on manual for some time.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I got a quote for a BF20L with a Sino DRO and glass scales mounted for 150$ less than both separately so will probably go that way and start making some chips.
    I'll probably start with the tramming setup and the belt drive

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm having a frustrating problem- every once in a while (and more so recently) my motor controller will just turn off. I'm not sure why. It's usually during a cut, and at first I thought I was taking too deep a cut, but today it started occasionally stopping when I wasn't even cutting.

I tried running the mill on a separate circuit, wondering if the load from motor plus computer and steppers were causing some sort of brownout, but I still have the problem.

Does this mean my controller is on the fritz?

Frustrating when you can't trust that the mill will keep turning during a CNC operation!

Downloads
    Uploads

Time to give grizzly a call, is it still under warranty?
    Hoss

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I called grizzley, they suggested I test for voltage coming out of the controller when it stoops working, to rule out the motor. I worked it for a while today and it didn't have any failures, so I'm stumped for now.

I did make a new y axis bearing block, but once installed my backlash went from .005 to .012! So it's been a day of failures and frustration. I'm planning on tearing down table again and checking that the y axis ballnut is well attached to screw and saddle, as well as double check preload on the ac bearings. Not sure where else the backlash could be aside from the ballnut itself...

Downloads
    Uploads

Isn't that always the way it works, fails when you don't want it and won't when you need it.
    Make sure you have the ac's installed in the correct orientation as shown in the plan pics.
    Hoss

Page 277 of 344 FirstFirst ... 177227267274275276277278279280287327 ... LastLast