Off the shelf servo controller for Mach3

Thread: Off the shelf servo controller for Mach3

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Off the shelf servo controller for Mach3

I unfortunately have the Imserv Servo setup for Sherline machines. I very strongly recommend against anyone getting it if you have any desire for a stable machine that just works.

I have had servo faults with this system forever. Sometimes are better than others. It is getting worse. I have the servo's set for 20 IPM and 1.5 acceleration. They have worked at 40 and 4.5 and the servo fault rate seems to be about the same.

I have a huge amount of parts that I need to get finished by Friday. With this screwball Imserv crap, I'll never get them done, much less by Friday.

Does anyone know of a off the shelf controller system that:

a. works decently
    b. works with Mach 3
    c. does 4 axis
    d. preferably will connect to the existing servos from Imserv. (NEMA-23 mounts)
    e. If D is not practical, I'll take stepper motors, new servos, whatever I need to do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default How Much do you want to spend????

If you want to just upgrade the servo drives, just get some gecko drives. The G320x should be great and will drive everything that you have.

It really all depends on what you want to spend.

Mike

Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default lots of options

Quote Originally Posted by baldysm View Post
    Does anyone know of a off the shelf controller system that:

a. works decently
    b. works with Mach 3
    c. does 4 axis
    d. preferably will connect to the existing servos from Imserv. (NEMA-23 mounts)
    e. If D is not practical, I'll take stepper motors, new servos, whatever I need to do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    I'm not familiar with the imserv system - can you provide a few details? ie are the servos brushed (most likely) - how much current do they draw?
    Are there limit switches in place, what voltage do the servos run at?

As mentioned the Gecko drives (G320x) are nice - but you need to wire them up to a breakout board and are ~$115 a piece so four will run you $460. Then you need a break out board, etc.

Another option might be the Kmotion board from Dynomotion http://www.dynomotion.com/
    Comes ready to go with 4 brushed servo axis @ 3amps each (6amps peak) and its own software (or can use a Mach3 plug-in and USB connection). I have no experience with them but there is a thread here of someone who has used it and likes it allot:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89210
    Claim same day shipping ($599)

There are a multitude of other but they are piece meal - buy an axis and integrate it yourself...

For a review of axis drives read this - note to take his views with a grain of salt - I believe he was aiming to use the servo drive as a 4th axis and / or lathe spindle motor so he is being very particular....
    http://www.thecubestudio.com/ServoDriveReview.htm

Mike