Need Help! Can anyone machine a tooling plate for me?

Thread: Can anyone machine a tooling plate for me?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Can anyone machine a tooling plate for me?

I am in the need of a tooling plate for my X2. I would machine one myself, but I don't have access to a larger mill and the work limitations of my X2 would make it very difficult to do on there. So my question is this: Can anyone on this site machine a plate to my specifications or tell me how I would go about doing so on a stock X2? Thanks in advance.

BTW: My plate would be approximately 16" x 8" x .75" thick. The holes would be 3/8 16, and would be on one inch centers. I can provide more info if someone is interested in making one for me. Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What material?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    What material?
    Aluminum MIC-6 preferably or the equivalent....

Downloads
    Uploads

Nateg281,

A2Z manufactures tooling plates and would probably make whatever you want.

http://tinyurl.com/2axje9m

Have a most awesome day,

Jeff...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can anyone machine a tooling plate for me?-a2z-jpg  
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I checked out A2ZCNC and I'm looking at the plate for the X3. The only thing is they only guarantee flatness to .005. That's not flat at all! I'd have to fly cut the plate and after paying almost $120 after shipping, I think that's crazy. It is my only option right now if I buy a plate already made. I just can't believe for that price they don't grind or machine the plates to a closer tolerance. I guess I just expect too much......

Downloads
    Uploads

Question

Nateg281,

MIC 6 specs out at .005 straight from Alcoa, surface grinding is the only way you will get anything better than that.

See attached data.

MIC 6® Aluminum Cast Plate

The Best of the Best
    MIC 6® Aluminum Cast Plate is a blend of the most desirable features of many individual metals. The result is a cast aluminum plate that meets the challenge of product accuracy demanded by today's industry.

Because of its cast granular structure and stress relieving properties, MIC 6® Aluminum Cast Plate allows high-speed metal removal with little, if any, of the distortion commonly inherent in long grained wrought, flat-rolled metals.

Using proper aluminum machining methods, tolerances in the thousandths can be consistently maintained. MIC 6® Aluminum Cast Plate is finished to 20 microinches typical on both sides. Thickness tolerances is within +/-.005" from nominal on 1/4"- 4".

Flatness tolerance is maintained within .015" on 1/4"-5/8" thickness and .005" on 3/4"- 4" thickness. Thermal Cycling can be performed up to 800° F under controlled conditions.

MIC 6® Aluminum Cast Plate is produced by continuous casting with each thickness individually cast. By utilizing the most recent developments in casting techniques, the molten metal is continuously fed, eliminating defects from lapses and seams. Thermal gradients are stabilized since heat is removed from both plate surfaces at a balanced rate. The employment of a SNIF filtering and degassing system ensures an end product free of voids and impurities.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can anyone machine a tooling plate for me?-6-pdf   Can anyone machine a tooling plate for me?-mic-jpg  
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I know MIC-6 specs out at .005. I only specified it because it's cast aluminum and cast is supposed to be much better for tooling plates and such. If I'm off please correct me as I'm just going off of what I've been able to find online. I would want the plate fly cut to within .001, preferably to a closer tolerance than that if possible. I guess I could just get the A2Z plate and fly cut it myself, but again, the work limitations of my X2 don't really allow it. Maybe I'll just have to get creative with clamping.....hmmmm......

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't think it would be out more than .002 or .003 for a plate that size. And I always machined fixture plates in place if they need to be flat and square to the Z axis. I work in a machine shop for a living and if someone wants a flatness like that on Alum. the price goes up. If you need the whole plate that flat I try shims under it first. You have to check the machine table to see how flat it is. if it's out a couple thou. then if the plate is within .001 it still wouldn't be flat when you bolt it down.

Kevin

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kweierbach View Post
    I don't think it would be out more than .002 or .003 for a plate that size. And I always machined fixture plates in place if they need to be flat and square to the Z axis. I work in a machine shop for a living and if someone wants a flatness like that on Alum. the price goes up. If you need the whole plate that flat I try shims under it first. You have to check the machine table to see how flat it is. if it's out a couple thou. then if the plate is within .001 it still wouldn't be flat when you bolt it down.

Kevin
    That's a good point, Kevin. I was just thinking about the table flatness earlier. It could be off a few thousandths. I could just buy that one from A2Z, bolt it down after I make sure my mill is trammed in, then fly cut it myself. Seems to be the most cost effective option. Thanks for the advice!

Downloads
    Uploads

.005" flatness for 3/4" plate but over what distance ? Is that per foot ?

Also 8" width on a mini-mill, will most of it be sticking out on the operator side? Centered it would restrict the travel severely. At least I think so (need to measure to be sure)

Littlemachineshop sells a 4" tooling plate but they don't give a flatness spec.

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    .005" flatness for 3/4" plate but over what distance ? Is that per foot ?
    Tim from A2Z CNC provided this link. This is where they get their aluminum:
    http://www.alpase.com/K100Flyer.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    Also 8" width on a mini-mill, will most of it be sticking out on the operator side? Centered it would restrict the travel severely. At least I think so (need to measure to be sure)

Littlemachineshop sells a 4" tooling plate but they don't give a flatness spec.
    I'm liking the plate from A2Z even more now. It's 16" x 6.3." It's actually for the X3, but I think it would work just fine on my X2 after measuring. As for sticking out towards the operator, my table is 4" wide. I planned on the plate overhanging by 2." I don't think that it will interfere that much with the Y turn wheel. I guess I'll just have to get it and see.

As for centering the plate, I measured and I have an inch of play between the back of the table and the column when the Y is as far back as possible so mounting that way is a possibility as well.....

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Nateg281 View Post
    As for sticking out towards the operator, my table is 4" wide.
    Mine is 92mm approx 3 5/8". It 's a metric mill and came with metric leadscrews, also takes different t-nuts than most iirc. As Hoss's website shows there's many small variations in these mills depending on the importer. My advice fwiw is is to double check using a cardboard mockup if ordering anything pre-drilled.

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation

Be very careful with a oversize tooling plate.

If your machine is CNC'd a pinch point could be created causing a severed finger or two.

Jeff...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Be very careful with a oversize tooling plate.

If your machine is CNC'd a pinch point could be created causing a severed finger or two.

Jeff...
    Yikes!.....that would be bad... Is your preference a slightly undersized tooling plate? The X2 sized plate that A2Z sells is only 4" x 13". That's smaller than my actual table size already and one of the reasons I was going to go with a larger plate was to help support the 4" Glacern vise I'm in the process of trying to mount on there.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nateg281,

I cant comment on a preference, just wanted to give a heads up about a possible hazard.

You can set your soft limits to accommodate the larger plate, just make sure you leave some room for finger clearance.

Jeff...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Nateg281,

I cant comment on a preference, just wanted to give a heads up about a possible hazard.

Jeff...
    Thanks for the heads up. I hadn't considered it.

Nate