What is your opinion of MaxNC mills? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is your opinion of MaxNC mills?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I do alot of very fine detailed machining in wax. The lower half of the spindle shown is a $400 NSK spindle. Typically there is a brushless motor that drives it. These systems typically run $2500 to $4000. I just made an adapter that screws the the lower spindle and a drive shaft. So I get all the benefits of the precision spindle at a fraction of the costs.

As for speed control, It is on a router variable speed controller (Think volume knob that controls RPM) It can be wired into a relay that will start and stop the spindle thru g code.

Your little probe can be used with the G540. All it is a open/close switch that is wired to a pin on the printer port. All it takes is configuration.

I have done many open looped machines. I can tell you this, if the machine is setup right, you wont need the closed looped setup. I can run my machines with no worries of missed steps. because I have my machines tuned correctly. It does take a bit of time to proof. but once your there. You dont have to worry.

As for the stock spindle on the maxnc. Mine was junk on my maxnc15. It had horrid amounts of runout. Same on the maxnc 10 that I am retrofitting. If I had to suggest a spindle for general use. It would be the ER collet used on the taig or sherline machines. But then again, I need higher accuracy, which is why I did the NSK conversion.

Hope this all helps.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

As the MAXN in the stainless steel chassis would work with a thickness of 2 and 3 mm? As one would behave with copper and bronze?
    Miguel

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

if your asking if the frame of the maxnc will handle stainless steel and copper/bronze. Im going to say NO. not only no, but hell no!

The maxnc construction is light weight, it flexes very easy. The lead screws are very small and will bend under load. That is if you dont strip the plastic backlash nuts out first.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fixittt View Post
    if your asking if the frame of the maxnc will handle stainless steel and copper/bronze. Im going to say NO. not only no, but hell no!

The maxnc construction is light weight, it flexes very easy. The lead screws are very small and will bend under load. That is if you dont strip the plastic backlash nuts out first.
    Thank you for your response. Definitely will have to think in a RF45 or a WMD30 at least.
    Miguel

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

anyone have an update about the MAXnc company? Don't seem to be on the web anymore.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like they went under, unless their host is having problems.

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Default No, they're like Chuckie

They're baaack! The original owner, Otto Echevarria, sold it to a guy named Chris a few years back, but Chris couldn't make a go of it. So Otto started it up again with a new website - I guess he lost "maxnc.com" in the deal, so he's now at http://ximotion.com/ (Note: this is not an endorsement of them or their products).

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

all I can say to that is EYE ROLLAGE!

When I got mine, it was probably the best mill in the price range, but now there are so many! I keep the maxnc around as a test bed for new electronic and different hardware. With all the mods I did to mine it can now do descent work. Still flexes like a pretzel though. In its stock configuration, nah, its a toy.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a old MaxNc 10 ,Gecko 540 ,280 oz. Steppers and I cut all kinds of metal on it.
    i replaced all the backlash nuts with bolt on brass nuts and it cuts a lot better.
    I can cut through .5 x 1.5 flat bar in mild steel in 10 minutes @ .04 a cut 4 imp.
    Just mounted an old set of 8" calipers on the Z axis and seems to have .0015 in backlash. I am considering remake it in 4140 at work on my haas vf3 . Ball screws and the works. McMaster Carr has them fairly cheap.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hey have ball screws in 1/4 in? can you post a link?

Downloads
    Uploads

The ball screws I am referring to in the McMAster Carr .375 dia. 8 pitch.
    Sold in 24" stalks $79 or by the inch.
    Ball nuts are $83 a piece I think. I look at the clearance on the Maxnc and I think they would work. The ball nuts look fairly large though,maybe modify them or the mill.

Downloads
    Uploads

You're referring to the ones on this page:
    McMaster-Carr ?

I don't think these are really what you want for a milling machine, even a MaxNC. The accuracy of the screw itself is only +/- .004" per foot (or per turn, it's hard to figure out what they're talking about), and then there's .015" of play between the screw threads and the nut.

Ball screws are used for lots of things, such as garage door openers, and many of them don't require much precision. Yes, ballscrews are also used for milling machines, but those are made a lot more precisely, and they are preloaded to remove the play (aka backlash) that these have a lot of. They also cost a lot more. You're probably looking at over $1000 for a set of zero-backlash ball screws and nuts that would hold +/- .001" over the length of an axis, and it would take considerable work to fit them into a MaxNC.

Andrew Werby

Downloads
    Uploads

I found some 6mm ball screws today .240 with a ball nut of .380 which is .005 over the Maxnc nut dimension.

These have to be better than 1/4-20 all thread.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    They're baaack! The original owner, Otto Echevarria, sold it to a guy named Chris a few years back, but Chris couldn't make a go of it. So Otto started it up again with a new website - I guess he lost "maxnc.com" in the deal, so he's now at http://ximotion.com/ (Note: this is not an endorsement of them or their products).

Andrew Werby
    Thank you Andrew for the Update..I would like to share my experience
    with " MaxNC" In one word.. HORRIBLE..!! I purchased a CnC Router and
    controller , It was the worst product that I ever experienced.
    Irregardless of who owns this Company then or now.
    I would Highly recommend staying away.
    There are a few new Company's out there Ie: ZenBot..K2..etc
    That look like a much better way to go, And for anybody thinking
    about doing light to med Aluminium machining, don't even bother..
    They will tell you , "you can do any type of machining"
    this absolutely false.. I personally lost $3500. and countless hrs
    of time..:-(.. I hope this helps with any new guys thinking
    this is the way to go ,,As they say.." in my own opinion" I would
    not ever purchase anything from this rehashed company ever again..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123