Build Thread Bolton ZX45 Conversion - Page 2

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolton ZX45 Conversion

Downloads
    Uploads

It's P33581006

Here is a pic of the G3358 spindle sleeve.

Some quick measurements...
    Overall length is 140mm
    The threaded section is 42mm dia with 1.5mm/turn and 26mm long.
    The other end is the only part with the spline, it's 56mm long and takes a 42mm snap ring.

I still have some parts to make for work, so I can't take the head apart just yet. I'll take a look at it this weekend, though.

Last edited by Flenser; 03-25-2010 at 07:14 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gd.marsh View Post
    mattbesquare

If you're still watching this thread I've got a picture of what the wiring looked like at the motor end on my ZX45 .. it's a little blurry, but the best I've got to offer.
    thank you, I used the manual and got the correct wiring.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gd.marsh View Post
    Jeff

A 45mm ID & 62mm OD does not seem to be a standard bearing as per my searching. If your spindle sleeve or head cover have different dimensions, or if you can find a bearing that would fit w/o breaking the bank I'd sure be interested.

Gary
    The bearings for the 3358 spindle showed up last night, and have a 75mm OD. I guess I'm planning on just making a new steel head cover. That's assuming Pete doesn't come through with a cool conversion kit before I'm ready to do it myself

I also noticed the top of the spindle will end up inside the sleeve and below the top of the pulley which will complicate manually turning the draw bar. It looks like a power draw bar is also in the works <sigh>

Jeff

Downloads
    Uploads

Flenser,

I've sent all the parts I ordered back to Grizzly because I've come up with a way to use both the stock spindle sleeve & bearings from the ZX45. I haven't posted any pictures yet but should be able to shortly. I'm still working on my pulleys so when they're done I will post. It involves modifying the spindle sleeve to the point that you couldn't re-use it for a geared setup but I have no plans of doing that anyway. This saves money and solves several issues as far as I'm concerned. Obviously it's untested at this point, but I see no reason to believe it won't work perfectly (might need to change to higher speed rated bearings but I'll wait and see) My intention is to complete the entire belt drive set-up before moving on to the rest of the conversion.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool, my plan to wait until I have time - and for others to do it first - is working out perfectly!

Downloads
    Uploads

Update ..

Got some work done so here's some pictures of what I've been talking about.

1st picture is the breakdown showing which part I'm dealing with .. in my Bolton manual it's part #ZX45DP0069 Spindle Sleeve gear .. The gear seemed to be brazed on and since I don't have a torch .. I just turned the whole thing off the sleeve on my lathe ..

2nd picture is the finished part after removing the gear, threading the end and making the nut.

3rd picture shows the bearing spacers and a terrible picture of the multi-ribbed pulleys I made ..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bolton ZX45 Conversion-head_breakdown0002-jpg   Bolton ZX45 Conversion-p1030076-jpg   Bolton ZX45 Conversion-p1030069-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

OK ..

1st picture is an assembly reference showing the order of parts ..

2nd picture is the assembled unit along with pulley's & belt ..

3rd & 4th picture shows the unit installed in the head cover ..

Basically, after you modify the sleeve .. you install it in the head upside down from it's orig. orientation. The nut squeezes the pulley, both bearings, the inner race spacer, & the lower snap ring all together nice and snug. the large snap ring and outer race spacer holds the whole unit in the casting just like the orig. design.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bolton ZX45 Conversion-p1030063-jpg   Bolton ZX45 Conversion-p1030062-jpg   Bolton ZX45 Conversion-p1030080-jpg   Bolton ZX45 Conversion-p1030081-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

So ..

A couple more pictures showing the pulley & belt set-up on the head and a trash can full of chips from making the pulleys!

Hope this helps someone else wading their way through a conversion.

Gary

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bolton ZX45 Conversion-p1030091-jpg   Bolton ZX45 Conversion-p1030028-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

gd,
    Flipping that part around and reusing it was quite ingenious. Bravo!
    Can't wait for pics of the rest of the conversion.
    Eric

Downloads
    Uploads

wow that is a really neat timing belt! i have never seen anything like that before...

Good luck on the build mate i will be following!

Downloads
    Uploads

That's a really nice setup. It sure beats what I had in mind. I didn't realize you had two pulley ratios available until I saw the last set of pics. Are they 2:1 and 1:2?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yep,

1:2 gives approx. 145RPM on the low end running the VFD @ 10Hz.
    2:1 gives approx. 6900RPM on the high end running the VFD @ 120Hz.

Not sure the bearings in the machine are up to that .. but I'll move to better bearings if & when I have to .. Pete reports that his spindle runs w/o any heating problems @ around 6K. I figure I can limit the top end if needed by just turning the VFD down.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Great job on the two step pulleys.

I didn't see what RPM motor your planing on going with. I would guess by looking at the pulleys it would be 1750?

To make the pulleys did you grind a cutter to make the round shape?

To turn down the gear did you just run you cutter into the teeth! Grind things down first or come in from the side?

Downloads
    Uploads

azvideo,

Motor is 1725 rpm ..

I ground the end of a parting tool to form the grooves so I could reach into the 2" diam. while right up against the 4" diam.

As for removing the gear .. I ran a brazed carbide tool right into the teeth .. I was expecting some issues with that but was totally surprised by how SOFT the gear was .. there was a little hardening as I got closer to the sleeve .. from the brazing operation I guess .. but my 11" Logan plowed right through!

I understand the IH mills have hardened gears in them .. guess you'd have to grind the gear off, or just order a part from a cheaper mill ..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default belt conversion

Gary - looks great! I've sent Bolton an email to see if I can get the sleeve shipped to Canada.

Keep posting pix, it's giving all of us some inspiration to keep moving forward

Matt

Downloads
    Uploads

Matt, I believe that sleeve is part 238 on Grizzly's G0484. The name is just "gear", but it looks like it includes the sleeve. It cost almost double what I paid for the other sleeve and bearings combined, though.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Grizzly Gear Part

Quote Originally Posted by Flenser View Post
    Matt, I believe that sleeve is part 238 on Grizzly's G0484. The name is just "gear", but it looks like it includes the sleeve. It cost almost double what I paid for the other sleeve and bearings combined, though.
    Hey Jeff,

At $65.75, sounds like an expensive experiment =)

We'll see what's a viable option from all the replacement parts, but once i get a hang of everything, will probably try and make the part.

Matt

Downloads
    Uploads

Gary;
    Thanks for the pix. I too have been waiting for Pete with hopes of doing a direct drive convsion on my lathemaster. Your approach seems very reasonable. Do you have any drawings of the pulleys you made? I've never made a pulley before and the task looks a bit challenging.
    Thanks in advance.
    Bill

billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Downloads
    Uploads

Bill,

Sorry to say there's no drawings .. I ordered a 220J8 belt from McMaster which is their part #9003K28 .. an 8 rib belt @ .73 width I believe.

I cut the motor pulley to a length of 1.75" with a 4" & 2" step of .875 each.
    The spindle pulley was cut to a length of 1.875 to include a small boss at each end to allow clearance where it contacts the bearing race & nut. Same 4" & 2" steps.

The grooved sections are .75 wide & I just ground the end of a parting tool to match the profile of the V's on the belt using trial & error. McMaster's web site offers a dimension as to the space between each groove depending on which belt you use.

My pulley's are not perfect .. but I have done this before on another occasion and it's worked well. I like the multi-V belts because they grip really well & require less movement between pulley centers to change speeds.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Gary!
    I do have a stupid question about the sleeve you modified! Are there splines on the inside that attach to the spindle. In your pictures, the internal looks smooth which would make me wonder how the spindle is driven. I know it's a dumb question, but inquiring minds want to know!
    Bill

billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast