Need Help! Ballscrew fell appart.. How do you put back together?

Thread: Ballscrew fell appart.. How do you put back together?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Ballscrew fell appart.. How do you put back together?

I was wiping down some ballscrews that were given to me last night and while tilting one up, the nut ran off the end spilling the bearings on the floor. I picked all of them up but I am unsure if I have recovered all of them. My question is should I send the ballscrew and nut to one of the repair services to be reassembled, or is there an easy way to do this? I have three of these units that are 1/2 inch travel per turn and are 66 inches long. The screw diameter is 5/8 of an inch. I feel like such a dork, but I guess stuff happens. I look forward to hearing everyone's comments.

Thanks,

Ben

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

It won't cost too much to try and reload, if the tube has an access cover, feed the balls in as you turn the nut and the idea is to keep filling the tube until the balls return from the other direction, the problem is, is with nuts that have split-nut pre-load, as this tends to work against you.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have had had bad luck with this sort of thing in the past. Pre load and manufacturing technique might sink your re load attempts, but you will know once you try it!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Ball Screwed

bfg9k

Do a search I think adobymachine or Wigetmaster did a very informative post on this subject Good luck Kevin

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hello Ben,

when this happened to me the first time I felt like you. meanwhile I know that it happens to everybody and most likely more than once.
    you need a small screwdriver, a strong needle, a magnet, good lighting and good magnifiers. Follow Al's advice and reload as many balls as you can while the nut is on the screw. then you move the nut to one end and from here you will see where you can load more balls by just keeping the opening thread accessible for one ball at a time. you will work out how it all fits together
    measure the diameter of the balls and order a few from a bearing supplier as you most likely have still a few on the floor.

good luck

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bfg9k View Post
    I was wiping down some ballscrews that were given to me last night and while tilting one up, the nut ran off the end spilling the bearings on the floor. I picked all of them up but I am unsure if I have recovered all of them. My question is should I send the ballscrew and nut to one of the repair services to be reassembled, or is there an easy way to do this? I have three of these units that are 1/2 inch travel per turn and are 66 inches long. The screw diameter is 5/8 of an inch. I feel like such a dork, but I guess stuff happens. I look forward to hearing everyone's comments.

Thanks,

Ben
    It happened to me too..If your ballscrew has tubeing pipes and two screw over nut then it is no problem you can do it..Some small size ballscrews are selaed style..They are pain..If you can post picture of the nut I can explain you how to fix it..Also the beraings are slightly diffrent diameter..You have to add one smaller size and then bigger size...I fixed mine and works perfect for long time..dont worry..thanks..