X6-1500GT Ball Screw Problem

Thread: X6-1500GT Ball Screw Problem

Downloads
    Uploads

Default X6-1500GT Ball Screw Problem

Hi Guys,

I bought one of these Chinese CNC Routers a year or so ago and it has been running well until recently.
    The Y Axis stepper stated loosing steps and now it stalls, but only in one direction of travel.
    I pulled the ball screw out and turning it by hand, its feel free in one direction, but it binds in the other.
    I use dry lube on the balls screw and guide rails, but I have not pulled the ball screw nut off.
    If had the occasional 'crash' so I can only assume that that is the reason for this problem.( time to fit limit switches, I think....)
    Has anyone seen this problem before? Can it be fixed or is it just easier to replace the complete ball screw?
    There does not appear to be any defects on the screw itself, by the naked eye. Maybe I have done internal damage to the nut....dunno.

Regards
    Steve

X6-1500GT  Ball Screw Problem-screw-nut-jpg

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: X6-1500GT Ball Screw Problem

Hi..... if you manage to take the nut off the screw without the balls dropping out.......you'll need a dummy plastic tubular insert to follow the screw in as you wind it out .......this will keep the balls in the nut, but you won't be able to see if the balls are in bad shape.

I would say that it appears that you have swarf or chipping in the nut and need to run some Kero through it while it's off the screw.

At the same time examine the screw closely with a strong magnifier for ball denting or rough spots.

if you do get the balls out and do an examination, measure them and note if they are all the same size.....some....about half...... will be smaller by a couple of hundredths of a mm as they act as spacers alternately to enable free running of the nut.....I could be wrong on that score but I think this is how it works............balls crowding against each other if all the same diam will only jam up due to friction.

Then you will also need to reassemble balls in the nut.......best of British.

If you had some serious crashes you may have ball denting in the nut or balls that are rough......replacement nuts are quite cheap if the screw is undamaged.

A lot also depends on the precision that the nut may have and the preload value too.

I have a thought that if the screw was in good nick, then getting two new ball nuts and fitting them to the screw would not matter if they were slack as the two nuts can be made to have as much preload as you need by backing them against each other and securing them, whereby you'll have adjustable anti backlash properties simply and cheaply.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the detailed info. Just what I need...
    I am nervous about pulling the nut off as , as you say, it may open a world of hurt. I think I will look for a new complete ball screw and then pull the old one down and see whats going on.
    If I fix it...bonus, I have a spare...if I don't....no matter into the bin it goes.....

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi.....never throw anything away.......sometime later you will look for the bits to learn how the dang thing works or for a less important project.

For that model you have, a regular rolled ball screw with nut is sufficient and not too costly.....just make sure you measure the length and order the same with both ends machined.

Or, if the part is a spare part at the same price thereabouts order one from the machine supplier.....you'll probably get a rolled ball screw and nut anyway plus the supplier's mark up and delivery cost.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Hi.....never throw anything away.......
    Ian.
    While many of us agree with this sentiment and have followed follow the rule, we also often end up buying a new item just before finding the one we stored because we keep so much in case it came in useful, I would agree to keep this but generally trying to break the HOARDING HABIT, the day some of the stuff we hoard will come in useful will probaly be the day we die and then only to pee the kids off one last time seeing the amount of stuff they have to sort out and clear.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah....the hoarding habit can take over when you just can't bear to part with it.......mostly I have to decide if it's too broke to fix and so gets stripped down for parts or just not practical to keep......been to many garage sales where the kids are clearing grandad's "treasure".....LOL......some stuff I have is over 40 years old, just too good to throw away.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

The manufacturer ( now called omiocnc.com ) has replied and can supply a OEM ball screw for $80 , so I will order one. Postage is a killer, but its quite long so I guess the cost goes up. Still a reasonable cost to get me up and running....I will keep the old one, firstly to pull it down and try and find out whats causing this 'feature' and secondly for spares. I'm a hoarder as well, but I try to control it....Sometimes it controls me.....lol

I'm looking at these DIY limit switches (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/open-s...cnc-forum.html) so that is the next project......

Steve