RM2005 Ballscrew nut repacking

Thread: RM2005 Ballscrew nut repacking

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default RM2005 Ballscrew nut repacking

Can RM style ballnuts with the internal crossover plug can have the balls reloaded through the crossover like you can do on nuts with external return tubes? Crossover plug on one of my screws got pushed out somehow and allowed half the balls to get past, push out the wiper sleeve and fall out. Most of the ones that didn't fall right out are still past the cross over plug so its just a matter of time before they come out too. My issue is that in order to get that screw out to reload from the end I'll have to tear apart most of my machine. I have access to the return plug with the screw installed, and even though it might be a pain, would still be easier than tearing the machine apart. I know that plug is supposed to be installed from inside the nut, but its soft plastic with a retainer lip that I'm sure I'll be able to press back in from the outside.

This is the type of nut I'm working with, standard linearmotionbearings ebay style. RM2005

http://img.clasf.co/2013/04/16/Torni...0416205323.jpg

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Don't pry it out. You will destroy the return and the plug won't stay in.

Inner Vision Development Corp. - http://www.ivdc.com
    Website Design & Development. Shopping Carts, SEO and more!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: RM2005 Ballscrew nut repacking

So if it's already come out chances are it's wrecked and needs to be replaced? The plug coming out is what let the balls out in the first place.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would take it out of the machine. Dump out all the balls, try and replace plug. Then make a sleeve out of some type of tubing, copper, plastic steel, brass. The sleeve needs so just slide over the bearing surface and The OD needs to be the min. diameter of the thread of the screw. Place all the balls back into nut and hold in place with grease, vasoline. Start ball nut over the fabricated tube, then thread onto screw, There is some you tube videos of the process. I try and find one.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Iain_M View Post
    So if it's already come out chances are it's wrecked and needs to be replaced? The plug coming out is what let the balls out in the first place.
    If you look at how the ball returns are made.. they have 2 tabs on the inside that keeps the plug from coming out. if those tabs break, the plug will fall out. Those tabs are also ramps for the ball bearings to lead them in / out of the ball return. So, Yes, if it's already coming out.. You need to replace the plug. I'm not sure if you can get a replacement plug.. I think they're injected into the ballscrew as melted plastic and formed in place..

Thanks, Connor

Inner Vision Development Corp. - http://www.ivdc.com
    Website Design & Development. Shopping Carts, SEO and more!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ya makes sense. Ill pop it right out and take a look, but I suspect you're right about them being cut in place. Definitely no easy way to get the plug out from the outside.