Need Help! Need help setting up KL-9082 stepper driver with 1200 oz KL34H2120-60-4A motors

Thread: Need help setting up KL-9082 stepper driver with 1200 oz KL34H2120-60-4A motors

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need help setting up KL-9082 stepper driver with 1200 oz KL34H2120-60-4A motors

Hi members,

I need help setting up my motors
    A Little background:
    I built my machine a few years ago and I have been using it once in a while (I wish I had more time to play with it)
    I'm running mach3 and vectric
    Occasionally I miss steps and I think that I'm not getting the power that I should from 3 large 1200 oz steppers, I would think that a machine with such large motors should be very powerful and the missed steps seem to be caused by week motion (or that's what I think at least as if I even try to stop it with a finger it will miss steps) the machine is large to accommodate a full 4' x 8' sheet of material, I used it last yesterday pocketing thru soft mdf and it missed steps.

gantry moves freely and x axys as well, machine is well balanced and very precise in terms of motion

These are the electronic components:

C10 Break out board
    3 KL34H2120-60-4A, 1200 oz-in motors step angle 1.8 deg 6 amps
    KL-9082 stepper driver, 90VDC, 9.2A
    KL- 7220 72V/20A 72VDC power supply

my question is in terms of resolution settings
    the stepper driver has the following dip switch settings and it reads something like this:

microstep resolution is specified by 5,6,7,8,dip switches

Steps/rev. (for 1.8deg motor)

what should I go for in terms of resolution?, I know after making changes I need to re-set up mach 3 etc that is no problem
    any of the above settings better or recommended in terms of avoiding missing steps for more power?
    I'm willing to lose speed if that is a trade off as my machine as is, is capable of moving faster than I ever would need to as I have to crank it down to avoid missing steps.
    motion is done with 1" wide toothed belts, motors have 2" gears and drive pulleys that are 4" so gearing is 1:2

Movement is somehow jerky also and I'm thinking that it may be caused by the same wrong settings
    thank you for any help in advance.
    Recommended by Keling was:
    ou can set the micro step at 8 ( 1600 ), current at 5.5A
    But can I get more torque/less missed steps with lower resolution or higher resolution settings? What about power should I increase amperage?