C10 BOB + + USS + 5056D Drivers will not turn motor

Thread: C10 BOB + + USS + 5056D Drivers will not turn motor

Downloads
    Uploads

Default C10 BOB + + USS + 5056D Drivers will not turn motor

I've read through several threads and I still cannot seem to find the reason why my motors will not work. I followed the 5056D wiring diagram and cannot seem to get anything to move. I have verified that the pins on the breakout board match Mach3 (still using the demo software) and the motor has holding torque. I also measured pins go from high to low after the smoothstepper on the parallel connector side as well as on the C10 board. I have also connected the C10 enable to +5V.

dip switch settings
    1 ON
    2 ON
    3 ON
    4 OFF
    5 OFF
    6 ON
    7 ON
    8 ON

I also noticed that the power LED on the BOB is lit up (half as bright as when its connected to 5V) and the board is getting 3.3v from the computer. Is this normal?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: C10 BOB + + USS + 5056D Drivers will not turn motor

Hi Ambico,
    Did you resolve your problems? I just got the same system and having the same problems you describe, so if you have a solution, or more ways to trouble shoot it, it would be very much appreciated.

Automation Technologies gave me the following settings for my motors, but these are the 500 inch ounce motors.

dip switch settings
    1 OFF
    2 OFF
    3 OFF
    4 ON
    5 ON
    6 OFF
    7 ON
    8 ON

When I turn on the system, the motors energize and go into holding mode, but I cannot get them to move. I have tried the mach 3 config files from Automation Technologies and from the cnc4pc websites with no luck.

Regards,

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Gary

I have no experiance of the smoothstepper but my first test would be to check the the step & direction outputs change as expected when you jog the axis

plugging the 25 pin plug on the smoothstepper cable into a spare 25 way D-type socket will make it easier
    to measure the step and direction signal voltages with a multimeter or better still use a logic probe
    (meter black wire to any ground pin 18 to 25 )

with an analogue volt meter an active high step signal will be 0V until you jog the axis
    starting by jogging at slow speed you will see a low voltage that will increase as you jog faster

the direction signal will switch between 0V and +5V (or3V) as you change direction

with digital meters you will just see a jumble of ever changing digits !! - not easy to make any sence of the readings

(with logic probes with an audio tone output you can pay more attention to positioning the probes and avoiding short circuits)

once the test is completed OK , you can repeat the test with the C10 BOB

with the board enabled and the jumpers correctly selecting the signal direction for pins 2 to 9

you should see the same signals at the green terminal blocks

John

from my notes collecting C10 BOB information from the manual and the web
    ( I traced the enable circuit from photos found on the web )

C10 BOB + + USS + 5056D Drivers will not turn motor-c10-o-jpg

from the USS manual

C10 BOB + + USS + 5056D Drivers will not turn motor-uss-inputs-outputs-jpg

looks like only port 1 & 2 will work with the C10 BOB !!

Last edited by john-100; 11-13-2016 at 06:48 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Gary,
    Whenever I set up a new stepper system, I like to hook it up to an Arduino Uno running Grbl. It's fairly fool-proof and you can count on a good 5 V pulse. Once you know your steppers and drivers are responding properly to a good pulse train, then you can switch to the PC parallel port to see if it works. If it doesn't, then you know where you need to troubleshoot.

Jim

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, after banging my head on the wall it was the jumper on the C10 board. https://cockrum.net/images/CNC_control_board.jpg the top right jumper labeled "COM" was the one I switched. Soon as I changed the jumper over, everything worked. Hopefully, that is your problem as well!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Ambico
    I missed you first post and expect a number of people get the jumpers on the C10 wrong at first

to add to my earlier post this shows the signal path for one axis

C10 BOB + + USS + 5056D Drivers will not turn motor-c10-5056d-driver-jpg

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was out of town on business last week, but anxious to get home and give this a try.

You guys are awesome....sure enough, moving that one jumper did the trick. The schematics and explanations were also very much appreciated too, because I never like just changing stuff without at least a little insight into the circuit.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gvrsek View Post
    I was out of town on business last week, but anxious to get home and give this a try.

You guys are awesome....sure enough, moving that one jumper did the trick. The schematics and explanations were also very much appreciated too, because I never like just changing stuff without at least a little insight into the circuit.

Gary
    Hey Gary..
    Have you tuned your motors in mach yet?
    I hot the same gear and having issues tuning right..

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    Yes, we got the motors tuned. To give you some background though, me and my buddy put the system on an old EMCO F1, so the steppers are belt driven through a 2:1 sprocket ratio. We started by using the config file from the PC4CNC website:
    Index of /Files
    C10_REV10.xml

Then, we tuned the travel using the MACH3 auto calibration routine where you move the machine a measured distance that enter that value into Mach3 and it adjusts the settings.Each axis was different, we had to do each one separately. At that point, the max travel was only running at 4 IPM, so we tweaked the acceleration settings to get it up to 7 IPM and that sufficed for our needs and it is running great right there.
    Hope that helps....I can try to give you more detail if needed.

Gary