Help with KL-1212 (or 6090)

Thread: Help with KL-1212 (or 6090)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help with KL-1212 (or 6090)

Hi,

I have the KL-1212 machine all set up but I am having an important issue:

I can open Mach3 with the USB controller attached to the machine and run through an entire G-code file with no problem -- the gantry and spindle moves, etc. Everything is calibrated.

The problem comes when I use the VFD to start the spindle. The moment I turn the knob and the spindle starts then the USB controller shuts down.

Also, if I leave the spindle running and try to reboot the laptop with the USB controller attached then the controller "blue LED" does not turn on when I start Mach3 and the device is not recognized and I cannot control the CNC at all.

Hopefully this is a simple issue to correct?

I have the machine running on 220V from a separate circuit to my loadcenter. The laptop is independent of this.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Follow up

Here is a picture of the interior of the control box:

http://www.crank-scrapers.com/CNC/KL...20controls.JPG

Here is a closeup of the 220V power input. I am not an electrical engineer -- the ground terminal is not connected to anything. My load center supplies 220V single phase and the plugs that I wire for other 220V devices use the center position for green or ground. Perhaps this is related to the problem? ??

http://www.crank-scrapers.com/CNC/KL-1212%20220v.JPG

I think that I should mention that I spent about $1000 additional to travel to Chicago to check out the machine that I was purchasing, making sure it worked with the laptop that I brought with that had licensed Mach3 loaded and that I was there when it was actually loaded onto the truck. This situation is exactly what I was hoping to avoid. It did not occur to me to verify that the machine would not stop working when the spindle started. Live and learn (!).

Here is a picture of the brackets and locking wheels that I fabbed up. The machine weighs about 1000lb so this is a nice mod to be able to shift it around more easily.

http://www.crank-scrapers.com/CNC/Ad...%20KL-1212.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by KLJ View Post
    Hi,

I have the KL-1212 machine all set up but I am having an important issue:

I can open Mach3 with the USB controller attached to the machine and run through an entire G-code file with no problem -- the gantry and spindle moves, etc. Everything is calibrated.

The problem comes when I use the VFD to start the spindle. The moment I turn the knob and the spindle starts then the USB controller shuts down.

Also, if I leave the spindle running and try to reboot the laptop with the USB controller attached then the controller "blue LED" does not turn on when I start Mach3 and the device is not recognized and I cannot control the CNC at all.

Hopefully this is a simple issue to correct?

I have the machine running on 220V from a separate circuit to my loadcenter. The laptop is independent of this.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Update

After many trials I got the machine to run with the motor running at a set speed and cut out some aluminum parts.

I am not 100% sure but I believe the problem is one of grounding and this is causing random effects. On the side of the z-axis is a label with a number of poorly worded statements (perhaps machine translated from Chinese to English) and one of them suggests that the feet of the machine are the grounding connection and must be in contact with the ground. I am constructing a plate running to the machine frame to which I will hook up heavy gauge car starter/battery cables running to an earth connection.

John did write me back but the suggestion was to consult this forum which is why I am following up here.

If someone from Automation Technology is actually reading these posts then here is a suggestion:

If someone is buying a complete CNC machine from your company that you have converted to Mach3 then offer to include a basic computer that has been loaded with the appropriate licensed software and is configured, tested and ready to run. I would gladly have paid this additional money -- the money that I spent traveling to Chicago would easily have covered this.

We have a tested computer and configured mach3 file.
    We offer to the customer too

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help with KL-1212 (or 6090)

Hey KLJ,

FYI I am running the same machine at my maker space, Working on getting the spindle wired into the controller in order to get Over current signals to trigger the Estop and to be able to run the VFD speed, on (m3) and off (m5) from the mach 3 in order to automate a stool top production run. Would love to collaborate and hear how the past 3 years with the machine have treated you.