Need Advice: my first 3D Object

Thread: Need Advice: my first 3D Object

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need Advice: my first 3D Object

I need to make an "jet airplane intake" so I have made a 3D rendering in AutoCAD 2013 and plan to cut a mold out of light weight material.

I have no idea how to cut this. To say I'm a NEWBIE is an overstatement of my qualifications. I haven't even received my CNC yet! Hey, I have ordered & paid for it.

I have ordered a 4 Axis router that comes with Artcam & MACH3 and I intend to buy VCarve Pro. Will any those software's work or do I need to look something else?

Similar Threads:

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need Advice: my first 3D Object

It would help if you posted a screenshot of the thing you're hoping to make. The programs you mention are for reliefs and sign work, not so much for full 3D mechanical parts. But depending on the part configuration, they might work to some extent. If your new router is coming from China, the software is probably pirated, so Mach3 will be in demo mode which means it will stop working (if it works at all) after 500 lines of code. That's not a lot for a 3D part. But you can buy a license for Mach3 for $150 and get over that hurdle.

What "light material" are you planning to make this mold out of? What are you going to cast into it?

Andrew Werby
    Website

Downloads
    Uploads

You'll need to model the mold in AutoCAD, rather than the part. Depending on the shape, you may be able to do it in V Carve Pro.
    As Andrew said, a pic would help.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

This is a screenshot of the final product. Hope this helps.

I kinda knew my software choice weren't the best for 3D work. What would you recommend?

I know there's a great chance the software supplied is pirated. I've already talked to Newfangled about MACH3 or MACH4 and I'm going to get VECTRIC Pro over Artcam.

By light material I was going to hunt for the most compatible foam or balsa wood. The material is not important as it will be used to make a "PLUG" for the final product.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need Advice: my first 3D Object-air-intake-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You have a big learning curve in front of you. I would hold off buying a lot of software until you need more. You will need a control software so get it (Mach or another ). If it was me I would learn Fusion 360, it free for company making less than 100K (hobby). It would be your CAD and CAM package. That all you need right now. It would do your plug or mold. As you decide what project you want to do, you could then go out and get / learn new software. The Fusion 360 will get you off to a good start. I do not think you will regret learning Fusion 360 even if you go a different way later.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you export your model as an .stl file from AutoCAD, then V Carve Pro will let you load the model and carve the plug.
    There's nothing wrong with AutoCAD, if you know how to use it. I use it for 99% of my cnc work, both 2D and 3D.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I think I'll try that! I feel very comfort in AutoCAD. Besides that, the 3D model in already done in AutoCAD.

Thank you.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are you wanting to machine that as a plug and lay up composite material over it, or mill a 2-part mold that you'd lay up into and join the two halves?

Andrew Werby
    Website

Downloads
    Uploads

My desire is to mill a plug out of something like HI-LO 60 then vacuum form a .3mm styrene copy of the outside. I had never considered a 2 part mold but I do not see why that wouldn't work.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Vacuum-forming usually works better with positive forms than negative molds. If you make the mold out of something porous, though, that you can draw air through, you can get it to work.

Andrew Werby
    Website

Downloads
    Uploads

I've been into R/C Airplanes for over 25 years and find negative molds to be the easy rule and not the exception.

We make a vacuum frame that is basically an air-tight bag that "vacuums" a plastic to the outside of a mold.

That part will be easy for me, but as a 1-armed man now making the mold will be a little harder.

Downloads
    Uploads

You should look into 3d printers for something like that.