Problem Unable to chanfer a hole on a cylindrical part on AutoCAD 3D

Thread: Unable to chanfer a hole on a cylindrical part on AutoCAD 3D

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs down Unable to chanfer a hole on a cylindrical part on AutoCAD 3D

Hi folks,

I am trying to chamfer a cross hole on a cylindrical part, I will link a picture here from cnczone thread that shows what I need to get done ====> http://www.cnczone.com/forums/g-code...mfer-hole.html

Its actually represented wrong on this 3D model from the thread, that was just countersunk with a drill ( or looks like it was )

I try to use the chamfer command but for some reason it does't work I dunno if it is due to the cylindrical part.... It will work when I try a flat hole but not on curved surfaces.... I mean, thats not possible in Autocad 3D??? I needed a precise amount of chamfer, it will be from a part that will get machined on 4 axis machine, the chanfer is not like if a countersink would just drill it, because that would make the hole chamfer more on the center then on its sides... It needs to have a consistent chamfer distance around the hole, the intention is to use a 90 endmill to deburr the hole after its drilled...

Since the command doesnt work, is there a way to calculate or to draw this chanfered area? If that is possible i could just make the solid and subtract from the cylindrical part, that would be easy, i just need it to be precise

Thanks in advance to all who keep the great work around here!

Gustavo

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Unable to chanfer a hole on a cylindrical part on AutoCAD 3D

This video shows a guy doing exactly what i need... except... on Solidworks...

Downloads
    Uploads

I just tried it in AutoCAD 2013, and it doesn't work here either.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't have any CAD experience.
    Could you make a 3D "flat" hole chamfered, which then is bent to follow the shape of the pipe and then merged with the pipe?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It works 2 ways in Inventor. Simple chamfer command and a sweep cut, the results are slightly different.

Feel free to shoot me a file and I'll take a look. brandon at nolimitdesigns dot us

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unable to chanfer a hole on a cylindrical part on AutoCAD 3D-capture-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

What you are seeing is the rolling ball effect of cuts at different angles with a defined distance.

An easy way around this, because chamfer isn't giving you the options you need, is to use the "fillet", which has the options to do whats called a "constant distance" fillet. (I don't have Inventor, but in Fusion 360 they call it "chord length" fillet. The distance between the edges of the fillet is constant)

Then delete the resulted fillet surface and loft the 2 edges straight, then join back to a solid.

Chamfer seems to always have less options than fillet.