Inventor 2012 / Mach 3 question: Solids turn into Line drawings when DXF'ed to Mach3

Thread: Inventor 2012 / Mach 3 question: Solids turn into Line drawings when DXF'ed to Mach3

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Inventor 2012 / Mach 3 question: Solids turn into Line drawings when DXF'ed to Mach3

Hello, this is one of my first posts. I apologize if this is in the wrong area for the Forum.

I have a recently finished home built 24 x 48 router running Mach 3 and it is up and working well. I built it to do repetitive plunges with multiple layers, but cant even get a single layer drawing successfully imported as of yet.

The problem I am having is that my Solid parts in the AutoDesk Inventor 2012 Sketch's turn into Line Drawings when I export as DXF and then into Mach 3. I have tried everything I can think of and I cant get it to treat it as a solid or a clean out, pocket, etc. Is there anyone that can help me with this?

I am not sure if it is an Inventor 2012 Problem or a Mach 3 problem, but it has me pulling my hair out. :-(

I have been working on this one issue for several days now :-(

Anyone recognize this problem or scenario?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Where is your cam software?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My apologies for the newbness of my ignorance, but I thought that was the beauty of Mach 3 is that it takes dxf's straight from the cad software? Am I missing a step?

The machine cuts, I just cant seem to make it into a solid rather then it always cutting only the perimeter.

Downloads
    Uploads

What version of Mach3 are you using? It hasn't had a .dxf converter for several years now. Instead, you can use the included LazyCAM to convert your .dxf files.

Either way, you're .dxf can only contain 2D lines, not solids. If you want to machine solids, you'll need another CAM program.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I see. That does make sense.

It is Version R1.83.027.

Also, I have never seen the Lazy Cam feature you talk about in Mach 3, so I must have an older version :-(

I have been generating the G code with the Import DXF feature in Mach 3. Then I go into it with a text editor and manually add the handful of small Z changes so it plunges to correct depth.

So it seems that from Inventor to Mach 3, you are saying that without an External CAM program I cannot turn a line drawing into a solid? Hmmm....

Geuss I am shopping again LOL

Thanks for the help

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oops...

I just read on ArtSoft's website that Lazy Cam is a dead project and is no longer included with Mach3 software.

So I geuss I do need an alternative? Geuss I am off to research the best free Cam software offering.

i bet this forum has plenty to offer on the topic :-)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bl72 View Post
    I just read on ArtSoft's website that Lazy Cam is a dead project and is no longer included with Mach3 software.
    From the Mach3 website.

LazyCam is a BETA-release free importer included with Mach3.
    It IS included, but it's no longer being developed.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, I noticed that as well. It also explains why I was able to import the DXF right into Mach 3 and generate the G code, because that is the Lazy Cam feature that I was already using. So apparently I was already using it. I am downloading trials now of all the more affordable CAM softwares and would prefer to find one that has lots of tutorials available for it.

Anyway, thanks again. I am trying out one right now called MeshCAM that is really inexpensive.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Inventor 2012 / Mach 3 question: Solids turn into Line drawings when DXF'ed to M

Inventor HSM has a CAM program built into it. Although, they have Autodesk Inventor and Autodesk Inventor HSM. I have the 2014 version and am not aware if they had the HSM version available in 2012. Did you have the HSM version? If so, and you did use the CAM software provided by Inventor? Please let me know because i plan on using the same setup with Mach 3 and want to know if it is compatible, and/or if you were able to solve the problem. Thanks!