Newbie HSMWorks CAM and ProtoTrak Tool Offset Problems

Thread: HSMWorks CAM and ProtoTrak Tool Offset Problems

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Angry HSMWorks CAM and ProtoTrak Tool Offset Problems

I am trying to accurately adjust for tool wear/diameter in my CAM program but when I post the file to my ProtoTrak the tool diameter shows up as 0.0 and the tool offset location is set to center, preventing me from adjusting the tool diameter on the EMX controller to fine tune my 2D contour to the right dimension. I tried adjusting the tool diameter on the ProtoTrak after the file was posted, but with the tool offset set to the center, there is no adjustment in the cut. Is there a setting in HSMWorks that will allow me to change the tool diameter on the ProtoTrak in the negative (-0.0) direction to account for tool wear/diameter, cutting my profile to the correct dimension?

Ex:
    Part width: 7.000"
    Actual measurement: 7.025".

What I would normally do if I programmed this directly into the ProtoTrak, is adjust the tool diameter -0.0125", so that my left cut compensation moves further inward, fixing the oversized part.

How would I fix this? I'm running a TRAK K3 EMX using the ProtoTrak post processor provided by HSMWorks.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: HSMWorks CAM and ProtoTrak Tool Offset Problems

Not sure is it is you post processor. If so I'm not much help but have always had good response from Aurodesk. But the setting for tool compensation is on the "passes" tab of the machining operation. The first drop down menu gives you the option of "computer" "in control" "wear" "inverse wear" of "off."

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by warrenb View Post
    Not sure is it is you post processor. If so I'm not much help but have always had good response from Aurodesk. But the setting for tool compensation is on the "passes" tab of the machining operation. The first drop down menu gives you the option of "computer" "in control" "wear" "inverse wear" of "off."
    I'm aware of those settings, just wanted to know if there's one I should choose over another or if they'll even help at all being that ProtoTak doesn't use the standard M42 offset commands like a Haas might use. I'm just trying to find a way that allows me to randomly select a .5" end mill and adjust the cut at the machine instead of having to accurately measure the end mill before I program the CAM, inputting the exact end mill value in the software, this just being one example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Echochrome3 View Post
    I'm aware of those settings, just wanted to know if there's one I should choose over another or if they'll even help at all being that ProtoTak doesn't use the standard M42 offset commands like a Haas might use. I'm just trying to find a way that allows me to randomly select a .5" end mill and adjust the cut at the machine instead of having to accurately measure the end mill before I program the CAM, inputting the exact end mill value in the software, this just being one example.

Yes that setting definitely matters. From what you describe it sounds like you want "wear" compensation, but I don't know if the post supports that (or really anything about the Prototrak at all). It sounds like maybe it doesn't but you can still try it and see what happens. If it really isn't supported it will just be ignored.

My guess though is that if your machine doesn't support wear compensation commands, you're going to have to measure your cutters during programming. Otherwise I don't know how the control would be able adjust the compensation. The easiest way will probably be to create all your library tool to their nominal size, and then use a negative stock to leave setting to do the wear adjustment. Just remember that will be the radial difference and not the diametral difference.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of the Prototraks will be along soon.

C|

Downloads
    Uploads

If that's the case I would just try to settings with some scrap material and see what happens with the "wear" setting. I don't know prototrak but if it doesn't support M42 or M41 then you'll have to look for the documentation to see what the command is, if any. Then, you can dig through the post processor code and replace the "M42" or M41 with whichever commands the Prototrak uses.

Downloads
    Uploads

I know this doesn't answer your question, but this same issue happens with GibbsCAM when I use our ProtoTRAK here. Offset is center with no tool diameter. When using HSMXpress for drill operations it sets tool diameter to zero and all locations to 0,0 which is also frustrating. I'm trying to get the post processor working, but I'm not familiar enough with what ProtoTRAK wants. Good luck and know that you're not alone on this.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
    I know this doesn't answer your question, but this same issue happens with GibbsCAM when I use our ProtoTRAK here. Offset is center with no tool diameter. When using HSMXpress for drill operations it sets tool diameter to zero and all locations to 0,0 which is also frustrating. I'm trying to get the post processor working, but I'm not familiar enough with what ProtoTRAK wants. Good luck and know that you're not alone on this.
    I don't know if I'd know how to modify your GibbsCAM post processor, but I did run into that same problem about all drilling operations being set to 0,0. I was able to modify my post processor so that drilling operations now work, with the one downside being that between every hole being drilled the machine moves back to origin. Having no experience modify post processors before, I figure out how to do all of this just by manually writing a program on the ProtoTrak and then comparing it to what I'm posting.

I ended up having to manually set my end mill diameters to adjust for cutter wear, solving my original problem.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think you are mistaken M42 is not used for cutter comp, the M41 M42 Etc is used for spindle Gear change, G41 G42 is the standard G code that is used for cutter comp and G40 is used to cancel it, your Proto Trac may use a different code for this, but not all Proto Trac controls support cutter comp

If your control is SMX then it uses standard G41 G42 Etc

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am trying to accurately adjust for tool wear/diameter in my CAM program but when I post the file to my ProtoTrak the tool diameter shows up as 0.0 and the tool offset location is set to center, preventing me from adjusting the tool diameter on the EMX controller to fine tune my 2D contour to the right dimension. I tried adjusting the tool diameter on the ProtoTrak after the file was posted, but with the tool offset set to the center, there is no adjustment in the cut. Is there a setting in HSMWorks that will allow me to change the tool diameter on the ProtoTrak in the negative (-0.0) direction to account for tool wear/diameter, cutting my profile to the correct dimension?

Ex:
    Part width: 7.000"
    Actual measurement: 7.025".

What I would normally do if I programmed this directly into the ProtoTrak, is adjust the tool diameter -0.0125", so that my left cut compensation moves further inward, fixing the oversized part.

How would I fix this? I'm running a TRAK K3 EMX using the ProtoTrak post processor provided by HSMWorks.
    Outputting a G41 or a G42 in your g-code will solve this problem.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Better yet, program the part geometry and enter in the cutter size you want right at the control. Modify the cutter size up or down for wear or correction.