HSMExpress - simple task

Thread: HSMExpress - simple task

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default HSMExpress - simple task

I am trying to get the hang of HSMExpress. I've gone through the two 2.5d tutorials which are included, now I'm trying to apply what I've learned to a real part.

I can't figure out how to machine the notch in the front of the part in the image. It seems like such a simple task and would only take minutes to program manually, but no matter what I try I can't get it to work properly. Unfortunately I won't have access to SolidWorks/HSMExpress over the weekend, so I'm hoping somebody can at least point me in the right direction for when I get back to work Tuesday morning. What milling strategy do I use, and what edges or faces do I select for the geometry? I need to approach from the side so I can use CDC.

Is there a way to manually create or edit the tool paths?

Also, is it possible to mill the angle with a ballnose in Express, or would I need Works?

HSMExpress - simple task-part1-png

Here is the basic finish tool path for the notch. Yes, this is what I'm stuck on! It should be so simple, but everything I try seems to only work with a closed tool path.

Thanks
    HSMExpress - simple task-part2-png

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Jester966; 05-19-2017 at 04:08 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: HSMExpress - simple task

I figured it out. 2D contouring, I just had to uncheck "Propagate along Z". It's the simple things that get you hung up!

I still need to figure out how to cut the angle with a ball end mill. Can it be done with Express?

Last edited by Jester966; 05-19-2017 at 04:17 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jester966 View Post
    I still need to figure out how to cut the angle with a ball end mill. Can it be done with Express?

It is possible by using the trace tool path and a manually created line that puts the ball mill tangent to the face to cut. Something like this:

HSMExpress - simple task-tracepath-jpg

Then you put that single trace operation into a linear pattern using one of the chamfer edges as the guide.

HSMExpress - simple task-tracepattern-jpg

C|

Downloads
    Uploads

edit: deleted, accidentally replied to solved post