Tips for Selecting Contours with Lots of Segments

Thread: Tips for Selecting Contours with Lots of Segments

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tips for Selecting Contours with Lots of Segments

So I'm trying to program a simple 2D contour toolpath and selecting the outline as a continuous chain isn't working properly. I've imported the outlines as a DXF from adobe illustrator, and extruded them to the give me a solid model. Now when I go into CAM and try to select the outline, Fusion only wants to select one line segment at a time, and there are probably hundreds of segments, so I don't want to pick them one by one. The last time I cut letters like this I had problems trying to work directly with the 2D outline, but making a 3D solid model solved that problem. Now I was able to select one complete outline by chance when I moused over one tiny spot and the whole chain selected, but the rest of the letters won't let me do this. I was hoping there would be an option to right click and select all tangent lines or a whole loop, but haven't found that option. Is there something I'm missing here?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tips for Selecting Contours with Lots of Segments

Could you post the dxf you are having a problem with? I have a couple of ideas.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've attached a screenshot of the issue and a link to the 3D model. The script on the right finally allowed me to select the entire contour after finding one specific point, but the script on the left won't let me select the outside outline beyond clicking each segment.
    Tips for Selecting Contours with Lots of Segments-screen-shot-2017-04-19-11-26-a

A360

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew22 View Post
    I've attached a screenshot of the issue and a link to the 3D model. The script on the right finally allowed me to select the entire contour after finding one specific point, but the script on the left won't let me select the outside outline beyond clicking each segment.
    Tips for Selecting Contours with Lots of Segments-screen-shot-2017-04-19-11-26-a

A360

I was able to select the entire chain for "Anniversary" by selecting the long side of the stem first, then clicking it again to switch to closed contour, then mousing around the letters to find one segment that would give it enough of a hint to pick up the whole chain. Then accept the chain and it's good.

C|

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's great, I just tried that little trick on my outline and it worked. I've only used this method for selecting open chains before, but spent far to long clicking on segments without thinking about trying this for closed chains.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew22 View Post
    That's great, I just tried that little trick on my outline and it worked. I've only used this method for selecting open chains before, but spent far to long clicking on segments without thinking about trying this for closed chains.

The open/closed chain selection thing is a little funky until you figure it out. Maybe 95% of the time it works great but for really complicated selections it bogs down. Fortunately there is almost always a workaround.

C|