HSMExpress to HSM Works

Thread: HSMExpress to HSM Works

Downloads
    Uploads

Default HSMExpress to HSM Works

Here's the deal. I'm new to machining, and new to the company I'm currently with. I've been running AutoCAD LT for years, and I've got a nice Gerber Sabre 408 router, so I'm not new to CNC, but Gerber uses their own interface, and I've never dealt with G-Code as a result...

We've got a Haas VF-2ss that hasn't been used for a few years. I'm busy cleaning that thing of dried coolant (do not let your CNC mill sit with coolant for years, trust me).

There is in fact, no CNC software here. There never was any apparently. They had someone outside the company doing their programming, and just loaded files. So I'm working from a blank slate on that side.

They do run Solidworks here. My intention is to dig in to that to get up to speed. So, by extension, I thought perhaps HSM would be a good choice to go with for toolpaths. That said, as I'm up against a steep learning curve, I don't think a 30 day trial of Works would get me up to speed. So the real question is this (can't believe you got this far...)

How close are Express, and Works? If I take the time to run with Express for a while, is that time well spent that will apply to Works? For what we're looking at currently, 2.5 axis will be fine, but I will want to go further down the road. If that means I'd have to essentially start over, then I probably should just push for what the final software choice would be. Logically, I'm sure they're close, but I've seen AutoDesk do some mind numbingly stupid things in the past...

The shop that has been making our parts runs Mastercam. I could go down that road since they have indicated they will help us (our 1 mill is no threat to the amount of parts they make for us). My understanding, however, is that Mastercam is pricey, and a steep learning curve. I'd like to minimize the hills I have to climb since I'm starting at a really low point...

-Tim

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: HSMExpress to HSM Works

Quote Originally Posted by Toolslinger View Post
    How close are Express, and Works? If I take the time to run with Express for a while, is that time well spent that will apply to Works? For what we're looking at currently, 2.5 axis will be fine, but I will want to go further down the road. If that means I'd have to essentially start over, then I probably should just push for what the final software choice would be. Logically, I'm sure they're close, but I've seen AutoDesk do some mind numbingly stupid things in the past...

HSMXpress is literally a subset of HSMWorks, so everything you do is applicable. Now in HSMWorks you do have the 3D machining strategies that (sort of) obsolete the 2D strategies in HSMXpress, but the 2D strategies are still available in HSMWorks and are useful at times. Otherwise they are exactly the same. In fact HSMXpress can even open and view HSMWorks tool paths; it just can't edit them.

Also, if you want to get a feel for the 3D strategies you could try Fusion 360. It's not integrated with Solidworks but you can get it for free on a hobbyist/startup license to try out, and then upgrade to the commercial license later. Fusion uses the same CAM system as HSM but has its own CAD system that is similar to Inventor. Coming from Solidworks it's a little weird but it has incredible functionality for the price.

I actually use HSMXpress most of the time (most of my parts are 2.5D) and really only use Fusion when I need true 3D machining. I don't do enough 3D machining to justify buying a license for HSMWorks.

C|

Downloads
    Uploads

Well that's good news.

I'll take a look into Fusion as well. Is it safe to assume it will import a Solidworks drawing? I've got a library of all the parts from the Solidworks operator here (the stuff the big shop makes for us), so that would give me something to play with.

Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Toolslinger View Post
    Well that's good news.

I'll take a look into Fusion as well. Is it safe to assume it will import a Solidworks drawing? I've got a library of all the parts from the Solidworks operator here (the stuff the big shop makes for us), so that would give me something to play with.

Thanks

Fusion will import Solidworks assembly and part files (which is likely what you're after), but I don't think it will do drawing files. The 2D drawing functionality in Fusion is still a bit behind the 3D modelling.

Of course imported parts will only be brought in as dumb solids and won't have any feature history or mates with them, but that's standard behavior for importing non-native CAD models.

C|

Downloads
    Uploads

To get a feeling of 3D toolpaths its better to download a trial of HSMworks. If you are programming more then once a week its worth the effort to invest in HSMWorks. You will get all the simulation options, 3D milling, engraving etc and if available a 4th/5th axis and turning.

I work for a Autodesk CAM dealer, so I'm far from neutral but seeing some customers take the "cheap" Fusion path and see how much time they loose by converting/changing/managing data its worth the $250 per month that a license costs.