Lathe ATC not on height - how do pro's fix this?

Thread: Lathe ATC not on height - how do pro's fix this?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Lathe ATC not on height - how do pro's fix this?

Hi all,

Recently received my 330x700 lathe with a 6 station ATC. The ATC is designed to take 16x16mm tools

Installed my the tools I ordered a while ago for my manual lathe to get me started and found that the tools were very low on the centre. So ok, problem I thought I could shim. Unfortunately nope...The top of the ATC slot, which is fixed, is too low.

I could skim down my lathe tools but that does not feel right.

I installed a 16x16mm parallel in the ATC and took a measurement to the centreline and the top of the parallel was 2.3mm lower than the spindle centre.

Queried this with the manufacturer and they came back saying I should buy tools that take support shims under the insert. Fair enough I thought, so I looked for a while and I see that shims only come in 1 or 2 thicknesses.

So as I understand it, the cutting edge of the indexable lathe tools should be at the same height of the shank right?

Do I need to pack the ATC up by 2.3mm?

Unlike manual machine QTC's you can't adjust each tool using a knurled nut, hence I am asking for opinions from users with ATC's that know how indexable tools work.

Thanks in advance!