Got a little more done today. The pipes are secured to the base now and the ends fit fine. I also got the gantry sides cut (based on the JGRO part) and cut the slots for the bearing trucks, but.....
I officially hate Bunnings. I had a section of ali angle I bought from Capral Aluminium a while ago, they call it 30x30x3. I used that to measure the width of the dados into which the trucks sit. I dadoed both sides of the gantry, getting them all lined up perfectly. The Capral ali fitted perfectly, snapping into place nicely. I then cut a piece of the 30x30x3 ali I got from Bunnings only to find it is smaller then the same stuff from Capral. So I am going to use the Bunning one to practice making trucks with and I will go get a 6.5 meter length of the Capral stuff next week so I can make my real ones.
All the bearing trucks in this machine will be the same size a Joes machine requires so I can use them on that when the time comes.
Anyway, back to the gantry. I managed to cut up the various bits of the gantry (all of them that make up the gantry as a whole) but I can't put it together or cut the cross pieces to size until I get my skate bearings. Once I have those I can pretty much get the machine to the stage where it needs motors & electronics. I decided against buying from vxb as they would not be able to get them here before xmas. I am going with ABEC 5 bearings from a skate shop in Queensland, they have them for $10.00 for 8 so I will buy 4 sets from them. I only need to find the R8-ZZ 1/2"x1/8"x5/16" bearings locally now so I can make and mount my bearing carriers for the lead screws.
No piccies today, just lots of MDF dust instead.