**FREE** CNC Convention / BBQ (Melbourne Aus) (24th may 2008)(Prizes to be won) - Page 2

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: **FREE** CNC Convention / BBQ (Melbourne Aus) (24th may 2008)(Prizes to be won)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default May CNC Barbie

I would love to join in and meet you all.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey guys I have added the video of the last BBQ in the top post.

Being outside the square !!!

Downloads
    Uploads

For those who are attending the next BBQ.

Does anyone have contacts for "Rowmark" style engraving plastics?

I need a bit for our name tags. Only need say half a meter square.

Preferably a nicer colour than last time. That was just a scrap piece I got somewhere.

Greg

Downloads
    Uploads

Well due to insomnia I decided to have a little fun tonight and make a business card style PCB to promote the BBQ, I have not etched it yet but will on the weekend.

The first pic isn't all that special, it is just a bmp of the board, but the next two are the actual printed sized board, I put a chip on and tried to take photo's as best I could but you get the idea.

The tracks are 10 thou in the old scale and some size in mm

If I can't organise a printer for the day I will at least bring a couple of these along.

Russell.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails **FREE** CNC Convention / BBQ (Melbourne Aus) (24th may 2008)(Prizes to be won)-bbq-jpg   **FREE** CNC Convention / BBQ (Melbourne Aus) (24th may 2008)(Prizes to be won)-card-016-jpg   **FREE** CNC Convention / BBQ (Melbourne Aus) (24th may 2008)(Prizes to be won)-card-017-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Those are impressive Russell.
    Thats a very original idea as a business card. I bet people would love them.
    Please do bring the printer along, as it would be sooo good to see it working.
    There will be laptops there, so you wont need to bring a computer is you don't want. Just bring the driver software on a usb key.
    The offer of accommodation still stands, if it ever turns out that only you come down. (Space issue)

Downloads
    Uploads

Cheers Benny, I have been thinking of how to pack up the printer for the trip, this would make things a little less hectic as modding one on the day will be interesting

Best solution I have for now is foam wrapping and a pelican case, I have done a fair bit of work at airports in my time and there is some serious luggage impact to cater for. I was thinking of buying a new printer there but I don't really need a second one so if I bring the original one down and the worst happens THEN I can justify buying a second one

I may still take you up on the accommodation offer, Andrew is going to make his own way down, I think he wants to get there Thursday and catch up with a few people on Friday. My plan is to get there Friday, probably late (still have to work that day) go to the BBQ on Sat, and fly out on Sun, at least that is the best option as far as flights go, otherwise I will only be there for half the BBQ.

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking Make music?

Russell.

Maybe you could fit it in a music case. Euphonium maybe?
    Then plaster with fragile labels. Makes you feel good anyway.
    Or a TUBA case, or a drum case with the mandatory blanket.
    Musicians get away with heaps on an airline.

See ya in May.
    Neil

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Neil, that is a great idea, but then how will I get the Tuba there in one piece ?

Your post reminded me of a thread, here is the link :

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51348

Any routers coming in may that have full step drives ?

Russell.
    *Edit I just looked at the thread again and noticed you had already posted on it, lol oh well someone else may get a laugh out of it...

Downloads
    Uploads

I changed the PCB to look a little more business card-ish.

Russell.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails **FREE** CNC Convention / BBQ (Melbourne Aus) (24th may 2008)(Prizes to be won)-card-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by epineh View Post
    I changed the PCB to look a little more business card-ish.

Russell.
    I had a thought, If you made this design with an area big enough for a name to be engraved, then maybe Greg could engrave the names on the day.
    This would mean every body had an example of both types of PCB engraving/etching.
    If both you and Greg think its a good idea, let me know how much you need for PCB costs. I am sure people wouldn't mind handing out a few bucks for their name tag.

Downloads
    Uploads

Good idea Benny, I can change it around a little, but as for the old design (that got old quick ) here is one I prepared earlier...

The board is on special at Altronics at the moment for $13.00 a sheet (300 by 300) - How far from Springvale are you ? No Altronics stores as such where I am

The card is about 50mm by 80mm, if only there was some kind of machine we could use to pre-cut the cards on the day, some kind of computer controlled thingy... ah well I better bring a hacksaw

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails **FREE** CNC Convention / BBQ (Melbourne Aus) (24th may 2008)(Prizes to be won)-card-018-jpg   **FREE** CNC Convention / BBQ (Melbourne Aus) (24th may 2008)(Prizes to be won)-card-019-jpg   **FREE** CNC Convention / BBQ (Melbourne Aus) (24th may 2008)(Prizes to be won)-card-020-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you thinking you will print and etch them on the day??

Don't you have to cook them ??

To be engraved on the router they first need to be cut accurately to size so they fit the vacuum jig.

Greg

EDIT: I have just seen the pics of your sample board. That is impressive. Didn't realize you were getting results that good. Makes my toner transfer look pretty poor.

Downloads
    Uploads

That was the plan, the process is, pre-heat, print and then cook until golden brown, actually that would be a little too long lol...then etch.

A few things would have to be sourced, mainly a small toaster oven, I got mine from a recycing type shop for a grand total of $5.00

I use a guillotine to cut the board, though thinking about it, there is no reason I can't cut them to size before I head down.

I get the blank PCB to the right size before printing, and just print one at a time.

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am just wondering if the fibreglass would be a little itchy to wear as a name tag.

Also if the printer dies on the way down a backup may be a good idea.

Russell.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Can i come along?

G`day fellas, I am fairly new to cnc and recently purchased an Excitech cnc router for our family business.
    I know that you blokes are all into making your own machines - Do i qualify to come along?
    It would be a pleasure to meet fellow enthusiasts and i am especially interested in having a look at the mach3 control system.
    I will bring plenty of crownies.

Rocket.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah come along. Lots of people with similar interests.

We will definitely have Mach3 running a couple of machines.

Artsoft are one of our sponsors for this BBQ.

A Mach3 license will be given as a door prize. You might win it.

We'll also be doing a demo on Vectric Cut2D or Vcarve Pro. Vectric is also sponsoring us.

Don't you come from SA?

Greg

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by epineh View Post
    I am just wondering if the fibreglass would be a little itchy to wear as a name tag.

Also if the printer dies on the way down a backup may be a good idea.

Russell.
    I think we will do the name badges as last time. PCB samples will be an extra.

That way if one system has a hiccup the other will save the day.

Greg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Thanks

Hi Greg, I am a definite starter. Please add me to your list.
    Yes i am from Adelaide - will fly over on the friday night and may go to see a game of footy - hope the pies are playing.
    Will bring a couple of cartons of crownies and get some ice on the way, but would it be possible for somebody to bring an esky or two? Would have to pay excess baggage to bring my esky.
    Will be great to meet you and the rest of the cnc crew.
    Thankyou.

Rocket.

Downloads
    Uploads

OK Rocket your on the list.

I cleaned it up a tad.

1. ynneb - Benny
    2. Eclipze - Tony
    3. FPV_GTp - Ivan
    4. Neilw20 - Neil ( until 2:15 PM) + maybe about 2 or 3 more people
    5. The President - George
    6. Epineh - Russell and +1 but I will let him conf
    7. Ron230 - Ron
    8. Greolt - Greg
    9. Crocky - Bob
    10. ClaudioG's brother - Phil (maybe)
    11. Rocket from SA

Downloads
    Uploads

You can add Nigel, ( Who is too slack to type an entry as always, I even had to type his last entry from his own computer last time ) and Mike who tells me he will arrive late after work, and wasnt aware that we had set the next date yet.

Greg tells me he doesnt want to bring his big machine along this time and will onlt be bringing the smaller one. We need aonther machine bought along. I will try to bring my CNC coil winder along, even if its not finished (Should be). I might even have my control panel housings finished. I will be selling them at cost price on the day.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails **FREE** CNC Convention / BBQ (Melbourne Aus) (24th may 2008)(Prizes to be won)-show1-jpg   **FREE** CNC Convention / BBQ (Melbourne Aus) (24th may 2008)(Prizes to be won)-show2-jpg   **FREE** CNC Convention / BBQ (Melbourne Aus) (24th may 2008)(Prizes to be won)-profiles-jpg  

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast