Thinking of building a Joes CNC 2006 in Brisbane Australia - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking of building a Joes CNC 2006 in Brisbane Australia

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Reflow,

How did you print the individual parts to cut them out. I have the plans in .dxf format. But I don't know how to view the individual pieces and print them out to scale. I don't mind cutting all 80 some pieces out like you did, but I need to print templates in order to cut them out. When you cut them, did they print at the exact size that they are supposed to be? Any help would be great. Sorry about being such a newbie at this. I'll get better.

Thanks, Pete

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default ACME Screws

Take a look on eBay Australia. There is a guy selling ACME screws in various lengths with a delrin nut included;

Leadscrew: 1/2”, 6TPI, single start rolled general purpose ACME thread. 1000mm length. No machining on ends.

Nut: UHMWPE, 27mm length. Mounting tapped for 1/4”Whitworth screws. The nut is very neat on the ACME thread and has very little play.

Search for CNC or ACME

S.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudioG View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm been doing a lot of reading here and would like to build a CNC Router. I've got some basic woodworking tools and haven't got any metal fabrication equipment. I mainly want to be cutting MDF with it and thin (3mm) aluminium.

I've read a lot about the Joes CNC and would like to build one of these but was wondering if someone has gone down the path of trying to build one in Australia.

I know Crocky was going to but decided to change direction due to MDF size differences and trying to get someone to cut it on a CNC for him from what I understand. It was also too expensive to ship the kit here.

I haven't tried to source 1/2" & 3/4" MDF and HDPE for the build locally as yet but believe it is available.

So if anyone has tried or going down this path in Australia are there any show stoppers I should be aware of?

Also, is there anyone locally in Brisbane who might be able to help me out with cutting the parts on a CNC router? It believe I have all the DXF files for the build so hoping it shouldn't be too difficult to do locally once I source the key materials.

Thanks

Claudio
    Hi Claudio
    I have just been reading some of the messages in this post. I too am wanting to build a Joe's 2006. I am in Melbourne and I am wondering if you have been able to find out anything more on conversion to Metric. I have zero skills with CAD drawing so I would not try to do it myself. I guess if need be I will just try it manually and adjust for the thickness. I bet there are unseen traps.
    Regards
    domar

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Domar,

Unfortunately I didn't get any further with Joes 2006 and metric conversion of the plans. In the mean time, Joe has offered plans for his 4x4 so I will probably end up building one of these when time permits. I'll still have the issue of converting the plans to metric sized mdf and hdpe, but probably less of an issue due to the reduced number of these parts.

Cheers,

Claudio

- WidgitMaster Wide Router with Kress FME 800, HobbyCNC 305oz Stepper Kit
    - WidgitMaster Midi Router with Dremel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12