no instructions

Thread: no instructions

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default no instructions

Hi,
    I purchased a Chinese CNC 6040 router. It proved to be surprisingly well made but came with zero assembly or software setup instructions, not even in flawed English.

No problems putting it together and I purchased the Mach3 software required. Unfortunately that's as far as I've got. I've no idea how to write this machine's settings in Mach3. Can anybody send me an appropriate link? Any help appreciated.
    cheers,
    Peter

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: no instructions

Welcome to the CNC world where anything is possible depending on the programmer`s skill first things first when you just bought a CNC router, 1mm=1mm on all axis, so you need to calibrate it first on the X,Y,Z after that test route a 25.4mm square, 25.4mm circle, when all procedures are all set and you are contented with the cut it`s time to proceed anything you want it`s either you want to cut, engrave, drill, reface all those sorts of things

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you read the Mach3Mill_1.84.pdf manual?You should read ALL of it several times over. By and large, the info you need is in there, but it is not a 'novice hand-hold'.

Cheers
    Roger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KH0UJ View Post
    Welcome to the CNC world where anything is possible depending on the programmer`s skill first things first when you just bought a CNC router, 1mm=1mm on all axis, so you need to calibrate it first on the X,Y,Z after that test route a 25.4mm square, 25.4mm circle, when all procedures are all set and you are contented with the cut it`s time to proceed anything you want it`s either you want to cut, engrave, drill, reface all those sorts of things
    Thanks KHOUJ,
    I appreciate your advice. Got a lot to learn.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    Have you read the Mach3Mill_1.84.pdf manual?You should read ALL of it several times over. By and large, the info you need is in there, but it is not a 'novice hand-hold'.

Cheers
    Roger
    Thanks Roger. I had a brief look at it when I got Mach3. Will now read it in depth. My concern was that the settings it discussed would be different for every brand of router. Not having a manual specifically for this machine has made the task very daunting. Don't want to make a mistake and bust it.
    Cheers,
    Peter

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just to make things even more fun, I've just discovered Mach3 isn't compatible with my router because it has a USB setup. :-(

Downloads
    Uploads

Not so fast!

Mach3 can drive a USB motion controller just fine. The Warp9 USB Smooth Stepper is the benchmark, but there are others. Mind you, I don't personally like using the USB interface for an industrial machine, but that is a whole different story.

To interface Mach3 to your USB controller and your CNC, you will HAVE TO have some sort of instructions and a device driver. Typically what you need to know is what pins on the pseudo-parallel-port are for what functions. You don't actually have to have a lot of info for the USB device itself.

The Mach3 manual will tell you how to set this up. Read carefully: it only says things once.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

DadaVinci ,

Open the cover on your CNC controller and post a few good images, I will determine what you have then if you want I can remote access your computer and attempt to correctly configure your CNC.

Welcome to the Zone,

Jeff...

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Roger, I've been obeying your advice and methodically reading the manual. I also found a video online produced by the manufacturer that shows the entire assembly and Mach 3 settings. No dialogue so it's a bit challenging, but I've got a handle now on most of the procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    Not so fast!

Mach3 can drive a USB motion controller just fine. The Warp9 USB Smooth Stepper is the benchmark, but there are others. Mind you, I don't personally like using the USB interface for an industrial machine, but that is a whole different story.

To interface Mach3 to your USB controller and your CNC, you will HAVE TO have some sort of instructions and a device driver. Typically what you need to know is what pins on the pseudo-parallel-port are for what functions. You don't actually have to have a lot of info for the USB device itself.

The Mach3 manual will tell you how to set this up. Read carefully: it only says things once.

Cheers
    Roger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jeff. I'm almost at startup. If I hit any more problems I'll take you up on that offer.
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    DadaVinci ,

Open the cover on your CNC controller and post a few good images, I will determine what you have then if you want I can remote access your computer and attempt to correctly configure your CNC.

Welcome to the Zone,

Jeff...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thought I was close to finding a solution but no such luck. As expected the Mach 3 manual is based on parallel ports. There's no reference to USB connections so I'm none the wiser about how this affects the config settings. It's all based on ports and pins but how does that work when there's no parallel port involved? (groan)

The machine is trade-marked CNCEST but a bit of detective work reveals it was made by Foshan Puruite Technology. A search of their website shows their present machines are parallel port controlled. My guess is they built a bunch of USB machines, had problems, then dumped them on Ebay under a pseudonym. Or am I being too cynical?

Last edited by DadaVinci; 01-15-2018 at 07:41 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

My guess is they built a bunch of USB machines, had problems, then dumped them on Ebay under a pseudonym. Or am I being too cynical?
    You could say that there are issues with all of the chinese machines on Ebay. When buying the cheapest machines available, You get what you pay for.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You might try putting up a picture or two of the boards. Some one may have already travelled this road...

Downloads
    Uploads

Well Gerry is absolutely right: we see an endless stream of pleas for help over cheap Chinese machines. They are bodgey jobs. Sorry, but that is reality.

However, re the USB bit. What you have to understand is that the USB is simply a sort of extension to the interface. The default or standard interface for modern CNC controllers these days is the 'parallel port'. Older PCs have an actual hardware version of this; more modern machines don't. What the USB and ethernet interfaces do is to simulate one or more parallel ports. So with my Ethernet Smooth Stepper (ESS) I have three parallel ports available.

When I go into Mach3/Config/Ports&Pins I see all the usual stuff and have to assign a port number and a pin number to each function. Read sections 4 and 5 of the Mach3Mill_1.84.pdf manual. Then read them again, slowly. It is all there.

Cheers
    Roger