Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Promica X3 CNC Mill for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by phomann View Post
    Google is your friend.

Here's the machine on Gumtree.
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cast...kit/1170017919

$5000 is probably the right starting point for negotiating down from for a converted SX3, assuming it is in good working order. As far as I know the Promica kits were quite solid and of reasonable quality.

I'd certainly want to inspect the machine and see it working before parting with any cash though.

Cheers,

Peter
    BTW....the add states it's an X3 not an SX3......I've seen better adds on EBAY with lots more photos and a description.

Downloads
    Uploads

So whats your point Ian?

So I typed it wrong. Apparently you guys are the keepers of this forum so I'll just let it go. It's no wonder there are so few posting here.

-------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com

Downloads
    Uploads

If I was to sell a machine starting out at 5grand I'd need to get more exposure than the Gumtree add......3 photos and they barely apply to the actual mill, not that I'm interested in indulging in another mill, just passing a comment.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Peter

For the record, there is no way I am any sort of keeper for any channel here.
    I just thought I would check on the dimensions, that's all. 280 mm travel on the Y axis sounded interesting.

Cheers
    Roger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all the comments. The asking price is $4950. The travel on the machine is 400 X 175 X 395. More details are available on the manufacturer's old website here -> https://web.archive.org/web/20091203.../specs_mx3.php. I purchased this kit in 2010 and have not used it more than 2-3 time per year in the past few years for small aviation projects. I would expect the purchaser to come and see the machine running.

As for the quality of the machine I have been perfectly happy with it. When Marc was in business he was selling a lot of these machines to TAFEs and schools and he used his own machines to make the kit. At the time Machineryhouse was selling a less capable machine for more than four times the price. I looked at machines such as the KX3, which were also significantly more expensive and not as capable. Marc was in Australia, the kit has an excellent manual written in english and came with local support. Buying a Promica kit was a pretty easy decision.

There are many build threads on this site from people who have built them. They had many advantages including properly sized servos with belt drive so they run at a reasonable speed, increased y working area, optical limit switches, quality ball screws etc. Do your research and I doubt you will find a better conversion, and I would be really surprised if most could do their own and get anywhere near the acuracy and performance.

X3 vs. SX3, Marc prefered not to use them for a number of reasons and recommended I buy an X3 instead.

MT3 is what is supplied here in Australia on the X3. I have 5-6 holders and collets. I set the tool heights and change as required. Not really an issue for me as I run 1-3 tools on a part and use the machine so infrequently.

Downloads
    Uploads

At last the real nitty gritty.....sounds like a good deal for anyone who wants to get up and go without the mess and bother of working out what will work and what'll work better with hindsight.

As far as I have read, the spindle speed is a bit low at 1,800 rpm according to the EBAY description of the SX3 with the 1,000 watt brushless motor....probably the same for the X3.

This is one area where the upgrade need is a must have as many people like to work with carbide........it would be interesting to see how it handles cutting steel.

My relatively smaller SVM-0 has the upgraded 1,000 watt motor and belt drive with 2 sets of pulleys to get a total speed range from 100 to 7,000 rpm......changing the pulleys over on the motor gives 3,500 rpm and more torque.

I suppose a pulley rework for the X3 will give the same results.

The included H&F stand is nice but one thing is absolutely definitely needed for sure......a cabinet or enclosure of sorts is a prime must have factor unless you like walking on gritty swarf and it DOES get into everything without one apart from the oily residue that won't go away ....EVER.........even a wrap around shower type curtain is better than nothing.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by swarfmeister View Post
    Thanks for all the comments. The asking price is $4950. The travel on the machine is 400 X 175 X 395. More details are available on the manufacturer's old website here -> https://web.archive.org/web/20091203.../specs_mx3.php. I purchased this kit in 2010 and have not used it more than 2-3 time per year in the past few years for small aviation projects. I would expect the purchaser to come and see the machine running.

As for the quality of the machine I have been perfectly happy with it. When Marc was in business he was selling a lot of these machines to TAFEs and schools and he used his own machines to make the kit. At the time Machineryhouse was selling a less capable machine for more than four times the price. I looked at machines such as the KX3, which were also significantly more expensive and not as capable. Marc was in Australia, the kit has an excellent manual written in english and came with local support. Buying a Promica kit was a pretty easy decision.

There are many build threads on this site from people who have built them. They had many advantages including properly sized servos with belt drive so they run at a reasonable speed, increased y working area, optical limit switches, quality ball screws etc. Do your research and I doubt you will find a better conversion, and I would be really surprised if most could do their own and get anywhere near the acuracy and performance.

X3 vs. SX3, Marc prefered not to use them for a number of reasons and recommended I buy an X3 instead.

MT3 is what is supplied here in Australia on the X3. I have 5-6 holders and collets. I set the tool heights and change as required. Not really an issue for me as I run 1-3 tools on a part and use the machine so infrequently.
    BTW.........the SX3 on EBAY is advertised as having an MT3 or R8 spindle......not sure about the X3..........AUSEE.com au machine tool dealers in Dandenong, Melbourne are advertising a range on their website and EBAY.

For a few bob more I'd be tempted to replace the MT3 spindle with the R8 spindle.

The quill "might" be the same and the bearings too so the MT3 to R8 spindle per se would be the only change over bit.......that means you could have a power draw bar and lots of TTs tooling.....Hee hee heee.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    For a few bob more I'd be tempted to replace the MT3 spindle with the R8 spindle.
    If you want to buy the machine you could no doubt improve it, that's what I did and I learned a lot building and using it. Or better still buy a new KX3S for $15k, top of the line Tormach, or any of the machines on Grays Online that require an entire two car garage, forklift to move it, three phase power and a trained technician to repair it when it breaks down. This one works properly, but with some scope to modify along the way to suit its new owner's needs and tastes at a significant discount over new.

The simple way to speed up the spindles is just to turn the supplied belt drive backwards and then it will go to around 4K RPM which is just fine in a garage for a hobbiest who wants to cut aluminum a lot of the time. This one has been converted to a high quality US made motor controller as the Chinese ones are junk and fail. That conversion is a lot more difficult on a SX3 - not to mention they are less rigid. I also have a second belt and pulleys to replace the noisy gears on the spindle, which is another common mod and gets the spindle to 6K RPM or so. I don't see the point to crashing a carbide end mill into steel on a 300kg machine, but I may be in the minority there I guess.

Anyway, I am looking for someone who knows what they are buying. A few people have taken the time to contact me, ask for a few photos and arrange to see the machine. This suits me as I can tell people more about the machine in 5-10 minutes on the phone or in person than I can on an Internet forum. Suggestions from people to sell on eBay, that the MT3 spindle is no good for milling, needs a drawbar, needs an enclosure, doesn't compare with a $20k+ machine etc really just aren't particularly helpful.

Downloads
    Uploads

That is true, you can improve anything to your likes etc.

I have to ask you seriously just for the record.......if this was an ongoing project wouldn't you prefer to have the R8 spindle.....it opens up a whole world of possibilities.......I don't know if it's possible to just swap over the innards to get to R8.

I don't think "crashing the carbide into steel" is an actual happening......the wear factor for fast feed rates and higher speed is one thing you want.......I doubt that a hogging mode would be indulged with........CNC is all about many light cuts which for a manual application would drive you to drink.

Many light cuts and a fast feed rate maximises the ability of the machine to resist deflection due to a relatively light build.

Anyway, best of luck with the sale....hope you get your price.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ian you can go as fast and as deep as you wont on a CNC machine they are not made for light cuts unless its a cheap as lump of crud and you have to.

Last edited by daniellyall; 01-14-2018 at 02:27 AM.
    Promica X3 CNC Mill for Sale

Being Disabled is OK CNC is For fuN

Downloads
    Uploads

LOL.....tain't so Dan, you have to work within the machine characteristics..........I cut shallow, almost full cutter diam and a feed that doesn't make vibration and/0r deflection........speed is fairly high but HSS has it's ;limits for rpm....carbide works better.

This is opposite to the deep and small set over where you are prone to cutter deflection

The last cut is actually what determines how the work turns out.

If you push the envelope too far the work piece suffers and you get vague dimension and possibly missed steps......all machine are not all that good to go for broke just because you think it's OK to do so or want to.....just my opinion.

Don't forget, a machine like the SX3 or X3 has a loose head to column fit in the dovetails because it is being used as a Z axis......the looseness leads to head nod due to cutter forces pushing against the dovetails.......only retrofitting the column with linear rails will cure that syndrome.

As a matter of interest, the X3 in question does not appear (I couldn't see one in the photo) to have any head weight compensation like a gas strut.....whatever......that is one area that SHOULD have been a priority for any CNC retrofit where the head is now doing the Z axis move..
    Ian.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast