Australia 3 phase 220v servo drives

Thread: 3 phase 220v servo drives

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 3 phase 220v servo drives

Hi all,

Was wondering if any sparkies/electrical engineers have experience with hooking up 240v 3 phase servo drives in metro areas in Australia.
    I have seen 3 phase 240v induction cooktops with similar requirements but they are hardwired. I would assume that it could be done through
    a normal 3 phase outlet if there are 3 240 actives to the meter box, but it may be a transformer jobbie. Wouldn't mind running a 2kw servo as a spindle motor.
    Anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks in advance

Ed.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 3 phase 220v servo drives

What is the nature of the servo you have in mind?
    Modern ones would be BLDC mainly, but these still require a controller to convert any 3phase supply to BLDC, unless you were thinking of controlling one with a VFD, I have tried this with poor success, there are I believe some that will do it supposedly.
    If you have the original controller then you should be OK.
    I did use a Fanuc servo motor as a spindle, but had to change the encoder as the one on the Fanuc has a proprietary commutation method.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by edmunns View Post
    Hi all,

Was wondering if any sparkies/electrical engineers have experience with hooking up 240v 3 phase servo drives in metro areas in Australia.
    I have seen 3 phase 240v induction cooktops with similar requirements but they are hardwired. I would assume that it could be done through
    a normal 3 phase outlet if there are 3 240 actives to the meter box, but it may be a transformer jobbie. Wouldn't mind running a 2kw servo as a spindle motor.
    Anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks in advance

Ed.
    Have a look at the Bosch rexroth drives - pretty sure they do a 2kw unit that can be wired for single phase in.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking at second hand units out of South Korea, Samsung, Panasonic etc. Seems anything over 750 watt is 3 phase 220 volt.
    I did use a Fanuc servo motor as a spindle
    For this exact reason.

What was your experience with torque with a servo as a spindle Al? I am thinking of using one as a main spindle on a benchtop mill so position is not really a big factor.

Have a look at the Bosch rexroth drives - pretty sure they do a 2kw unit that can be wired for single phase in.
    Thanks, I think I saw one of them a while back, I will check it out. Just a bit worried the power point will cost more than the whole machine haha.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by edmunns View Post
    Looking at second hand units out of South Korea, Samsung, Panasonic etc. Seems anything over 750 watt is 3 phase 220 volt.

For this exact reason.

What was your experience with torque with a servo as a spindle Al? I am thinking of using one as a main spindle on a benchtop mill so position is not really a big factor.

Thanks, I think I saw one of them a while back, I will check it out. Just a bit worried the power point will cost more than the whole machine haha.

Mate, a normal GPO / powerpoint will handle that no problems.
    Relax, put a bit of spit on the plug and stick it in. its all good.