Australia Central Queensland (Rockhampton)

Thread: Central Queensland (Rockhampton)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Central Queensland (Rockhampton)

Hi CNC nuts.

I have finally bitten the bullet and bought a box of bits and pieces that are supposed to be a 6040 CNC router once I bolt, solder and plug them all together.

I must say it is very exciting but more than a little bit daunting.

Is there anybody in Central Queensland who would be kind enough to help out if i get stuck?

This forum is very helpful but a genuine contact would be most welcome.

Regards

Fishy Fill.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Central Queensland (Rockhampton)-example_vcarving-jpg  

ericks

Default Re: Central Queensland (Rockhampton)

That's great, i am sure you going to have a lot of fun with it
    I have had mine for a few years now...

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Again,
    I see its been a month since you got your machine,
    I got a 6040 as my first cnc in 2012, glad I did before embarking on a diy build.
    Although I am 450k's down the road I can help with any issues you might have with the 6040.

Here's some problems I had with mine.
    1. After about 3 months of busy use I snapped an end mill doing a piece of 6063 extrusion, problem tracked down to broken wire(s) in the Y cable to stepper, replaced all cables with better (more copper to PVC ratio) & higher strand count. & has been good since.
    2. I was doing some multi level cutting (80 x 60mm) in acetyl & noticed some thickness issues in different areas of the part, After height checking spindle in four corners of the table area there was 1.5mm error in flatness.
    Turns out the mounting holes for the X slide bars were machined off square & when end plates are mirrored in assembly the error doubled. Strip down & re-position the holes on the manual mill improved.
    3. While working on it noticed the X travel was binding, milled the slide bearing mounts & improved significant.
    4. The T-slots were a bit too warped for me so I pressed them flatter & turned over, drilled extra holes to get screws holding at the extrusion sides.
    5. I had to re-shim bottom bearing on Z screw shaft to take up the end play after a while.
    2 & 4 above would not be a concern if just shape routing but I was making repair parts for a factory machine.
    I am surprised how well the cheap stepper drivers worked, I haven't notice a missed step.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tonigau View Post
    Hi Again,
    I see its been a month since you got your machine,
    I got a 6040 as my first cnc in 2012, glad I did before embarking on a diy build.
    Although I am 450k's down the road I can help with any issues you might have with the 6040.

Here's some problems I had with mine.
    1. After about 3 months of busy use I snapped an end mill doing a piece of 6063 extrusion, problem tracked down to broken wire(s) in the Y cable to stepper, replaced all cables with better (more copper to PVC ratio) & higher strand count. & has been good since.
    2. I was doing some multi level cutting (80 x 60mm) in acetyl & noticed some thickness issues in different areas of the part, After height checking spindle in four corners of the table area there was 1.5mm error in flatness.
    Turns out the mounting holes for the X slide bars were machined off square & when end plates are mirrored in assembly the error doubled. Strip down & re-position the holes on the manual mill improved.
    3. While working on it noticed the X travel was binding, milled the slide bearing mounts & improved significant.
    4. The T-slots were a bit too warped for me so I pressed them flatter & turned over, drilled extra holes to get screws holding at the extrusion sides.
    5. I had to re-shim bottom bearing on Z screw shaft to take up the end play after a while.
    2 & 4 above would not be a concern if just shape routing but I was making repair parts for a factory machine.
    I am surprised how well the cheap stepper drivers worked, I haven't notice a missed step.

Thanks for the Heads Up.

Regards

Phil