Australia Importing used machine from the USA

Thread: Importing used machine from the USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Importing used machine from the USA

Gday Guys,

Is there anyone here that has purchased a 220V 3PH machine from the USA?
    I'm seriously investigating purchasing a used Haas VF2 from the states and would like to find out what I'm in for at every stage from purchase to delivery here in Australia.
    I'm pretty sure that $15K should cover US land to port shipping, sea freight, import duties and GST at this end but all of this is worthless if the process of getting the 220V 3 phase machine to run on our 415V system is cost prohibitive.
    I 'm assuming this can be done with a single supply transformer??? or perhaps I'm missing something completely.
    Keen to get in contact with anyone that has experience or knowledge in this process.

Thanks,
    JB

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Importing used machine from the USA

In principle, all you will need is a transformer.
    In fact, depending on the specs for the machine and your local supply authorities, you may not even need that, but make allowance for it.

Importing a used VF2 is likely to cost more for the freight than the machine. Can you not find a second hand one locally?

Cheers
    Roger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    In principle, all you will need is a transformer.
    In fact, depending on the specs for the machine and your local supply authorities, you may not even need that, but make allowance for it.

Importing a used VF2 is likely to cost more for the freight than the machine. Can you not find a second hand one locally?

Cheers
    Roger
    Thanks for the reply. Second hand machines up to the size of the VF2 (maximum I can consider at the moment due to room constraints) with 4th axis capabilty are pretty few and far between in Australia as far as I can see whereas late model units in the US complete with USB port panels and other Haas options can be found regularly for around the $35K-$45K AUD mark.
    Port to port shipping for a 4Ton Machine is about $3-$4K , GST about the same. Add land frieght in the US and here and any export agents fees (I don't know, maybe $6-7K ) and you have a machine here for about $55K-$60K .
    A New Haas VF2 out of Australia is double this. A similar sized Seimens Controlled machine with Simultaneous 4th like an Optimill F105 or F150 machine is about the same price as the second hand Haas import and more with half the horse power and features of the late model VF2's.
    Also, Fusion 360 CAD / CAM has post processors for the Haas and not for the Seimens 808D (Advanced) or 828D. I know that Processors can me modified by people in the know but I don't currently have that capability.

Just having a think,.

JB

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi JB

OK, I am convinced by all the facts and figures.

A New Haas VF2 out of Australia is double this.
    Oh, I know. A new ANYTHING from Australian retail is about double the retail price in America. Not just engineering stuff: sporting goods as well. Quite literally DOUBLE. Not too many second-hand ones around at the moment either.

I would not go for the Siemens unless you already have a Siemens shop. Their CNC language is an orphan. Ditto for some other oddities around: all fast becoming language dinosaurs. In the long run, the programming language is what matters.

City?

Cheers
    Roger
    Sydney

Downloads
    Uploads

I know it's a while back, but did you do this yet? I did it end of last year. I found a Hitachi Seiki Hicell 4 axis lathe in USA and had it shipped to Perth. Many said I was stupid, they don't say that now they've seen what it can do for the dollars spent. The machine cost was $13000 and shipping was about the same. Try even finding a machine like that for those dollars in Australia, good luck. The cost of having it packed up and in a sea container and shipped to Perth was only 1/3 of that, the rest was local fees, port fees, customs, quarantine, inspections, the list went on. Thieves! As for power, mine cam with a very old transformer, not the one that usually come with the machine as they don't use them in the USA apparently. My mate is a sparky and just found the correct taps in it to draw the required voltage within range of the machine specs and away we went. All sweet. If you need more info, just say.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gday Nifty,
    I am still yet to do this but still committed. I have the patience of a crocodile and willing to wait for the right machine. Have found out plenty more about the Haas Imports and have had Haas Australia confirm that the machine's servo motors, controllers and switchery are designed to work on either 50Hz or 60Hz so it's just a matter of a voltage step down transformer to get it to work here.
    Great to hear about your story and it just confirms my suspicion that the process is worthwhile.
    One factor that I hadn't considered is getting finance for overseas purchases is different to Australian purchases so I'll be chatting to the accountant about options here.
    Like I said I'm still on the trail and even looking at Europe as an option which will streamline the Supply voltage issue greatly for us in Australia. I also heard a rumour that an associate of mine in Australia may be off-loading a machine this year and am waiting for some more info on it.
    Will keep you posted.
    JB

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is anyone able to supply electrical schematics or other data? I could have a look and let you know if there's parts that can be changed to suit 240V single phase or 415V three phase. A transformer price will depend entirely on the power requirement, a small 1kva unit might not be so bad, but if you find you need something bigger the cost might be thousands if not more.

Downloads
    Uploads

I realise you're talking metal working machines here.

I'm currently thinking about importing a 5axis woodworking CNC from Europe (Or the USA) as the price difference between here and there is vast and slightly depressing. Out of interest how do you work out how much import duty you would owe? I've contacted a broker and they have kindly informed me of all the landing costs etc.

Has anyone bought a container, loaded a machine and got it shipped here is all I'm asking!

Downloads
    Uploads

Customs charges about $110 including AQIS fees then its Just GST on top based on customs weekly exchange rates plus 5% duties unless you have a Free trade agreement signed from the US supplier stating its 100% made in USA. Same applies for China but not certain about the European situation. Of course your broker charges you a fee for lodging all the paperwork if its not covered in his quote (probably is).

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes mate, I did this. I contacted a local shipper (McLintocks Fremantle) they organised a sea container and trucked the machine to the port in Baltimore. It was squeezed into container and shipped to Fremantle. That was the cheap part, about AUD$2500 for container and AUD$1500 truck. The local costs were 3 times that, I can send you a copy of it all if you like. It was exactly 1 year ago yesterday I took delivery of my machine. I paid AUD $14,000 for the machine and about the same by the time it was installed in my workshop, so for under AUD$30,000 I have a fully conversational 4 axis CNC lathe. I have never seen a machine like it for sale under AUD$100,000 locally. 2nd hand machines do not come up for sale in Perth often and when they do they are flogged to death. There are currently a couple of 2 axis lathes for sale locally that are well over what I paid. Ask lots of questions when you decide what you want. Good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I did this also. I imported a 3.5 ton lathe from California to Cairns Queensland. See my cnczone thread https://www.cnczone.com/forums/gener...97833-cnc.html
    I used a freight broker called "world wide customs and freight forwarding" They gave me an itemised quote including truck loading and truck transport to the departure port, the cost of each form approval needed to get it on the ship, and then the cost of the trip on the ship. The Australian end is a whole different story. From memory the actual boat trip from LA across the Pacific ocean to Brisbane was $980USD And the truck alone from Brisbane to Cairns was $2500AUD Where you have to be very careful about is how the seller sends the machine. My seller took the chip conveyor out of the machine and placed it on a huge skid which almost doubled the cubic area of my machine so I was charged a lot more than the quoted volume.
    Using a broker took all the freight hassle away. I would never have been able to ensure my machine was picked up, loaded, transported to port, all the necessary paperwork compleated correctly and put on a ship to Australia from the other side of the planet.

Good luck and keep us up to date.
    Chich

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

@nifty and @chich2

Thank you both for the insight and information regarding importing! Sounds like I am on the right track with a broker! I'm still waiting to hear back from the people selling the machine I'm after. 3 weeks later.
    The machine would be fitting into it's own 40ft container.

Thank you again

Downloads
    Uploads

No problem. As far as power goes you can see on my thread I fitted a transformer to my machine to step down from 415v to 220v. There are still companies making transformers in Australia if you need one or if your just lucky like i was to find and old one locally.

Regards
    Chich

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk