Australia Looking for local help (BRISBANE)

Thread: Looking for local help (BRISBANE)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking for local help (BRISBANE)

Hi Guys

I have over the past few months been trying to get myself into the world of CNC. There is a lot to learn for someone of my experience level (that being zero!).

The drive behind the move to CNC is to further enhance part of my side-thing I guess of selling sinkers... I'm looking to get some custom moulds done, as well as explore the idea of also selling top quality moulds given there does not seem to be any good quality moulds on the Australian market (currently buying mine from overseas.. bit sick of spending hundreds in postage!).

Is there anyone on here that would be keen to help me out with this one? I.e. work together on the design and end product idea and the output being some CNC-milled sinker moulds? This would likely be on an ongoing basis. Of course, it is paid work. Your own ABN is highly desirable but not a required.

Truly looking for a hobbyist vs. a shop... I would love to spend some time with you and learn what I can off you until I purchase my own machine and am comfortable with my level of knowledge. I don't bring absolutely nothing to the table, I have done a lot of reading and consider myself to have basic knowledge of the art.

Either send me a PM or just discuss below

Cheers!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for local help (BRISBANE)

All sounds like a good idea — To you!.
    The problem here is that aluminum thick enough to make a sinker mound will need a seriously strong machine to make on a production basis. Read that as costing many thousands of dollars, even second hand. Good luck finding someone willing to run one of these expensive and very heavy machines on a speculative basis. Using some flimsy Chinese made Ebay special to machine 20 mm aluminum fast enough to call "being in production" is only going to be an exercise in frustration. Sorry friend but I don't think you'll get much interest here.

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have the g-code programs for the molds all ready to run?
    If not, you are looking at some significant expense for their creation.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi.....I read this as sinker production from a previously bought in sinker mold. as opposed to making the molds in production quantities.

Making the molds is just plain CNC 3D programming in, for example, Fusion 360 and the subsequent CAM tool path to make the mold in alluminium...........heck, I used to make alluminium molds by hand by first making a clay model of the sinker and then casting a mold around it......2 half types etc.

The sinkers were for skin diving weight belts when you wear a dry diving suit otherwise you won't get under the water.

So, you don't need to make a mold in CNC, just a clay model of the sinker......a sinker is just a lead blob with a loop of wire to attach onto the line.....nothing spectacular about that........making spinners that some call sinkers is a different matter.

Perhaps, to make things clearer, a sketch of a typical sinker shape would make the need for CNC more apparent.

I would not suggest a design for a large flat sheet of alluminium with multi cavities and injection methods for lead sinker production as being practical due to the complexity of sealing the mold face on such a large surface area.

BTW, as sinkers are cast in lead, a silicon rubber multiple cavity mold with a spin molder machine is the way to go.
    Ian.