Australia After a local CNC Router - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: After a local CNC Router

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: After a local CNC Router

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    I've found Leadshine drives great. Gecko are great also, but older analog technology. Leadshine much quieter and motors run cooler.
    I'm interested HOW you would know if their technology is "older" whether it is analogue or not. Are you up to date on their in-house technical development and circuitry.

And analogue is not automatically older, it is simply analogue as opposed to digital. IF Gecko use analogue, which is starting to seem doubtful based on what RCaffin has observed, then it could be because they found it to be the better way to go. You'll find thousands of analogue ICs available from electronics suppliers because they have their application, where "digital" can not be used, or for whatever reason analogue give a better solution. So as I said, analogue is not automatically "old", it's just a different technology. I bet the space shuttle and lots of medical equipment have plenty analogue mixed with digital.

This reminds me of the digital tools that somehow claimed better measuring accuracy. The digital displays were nothing more than a different way of displaying a measured value. But hey they looked all whoopee doo.

And as for the running cooler bit, I had the opposite experience. Even sitting idle, my motors would get fairly hot with the Leadshine drives. With the Geckos they are tepid when idle, and only get warm when running flat out, and I have the current set to the motors limit.

Likewise with noise, smooth and much quieter is my experience with Geckos. Do you have experience with a particular model of Gecko drive. I mean:

Motors run noisy ???
    Motors run hot ???
    Old technology ???

Not the type of feedback you normally get from Gecko users LOL.

Leadshine may have improved since I used the one and only drive I tried, but a search over various cnc forums, and I think anyone would be hard pressed to find much bad talk about Geckos.

Downloads
    Uploads

My apologies, I was wrong with the analog thing.

Beefy,

I moved from a G540 to leadshine DM542 drivers. Same steppers, same machine.
    The leadshine drivers resulted in a much quieter machine (the resonance is much less) and the steppers run cooler.

Gecko products are good. My experience with leadshine is better.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    I moved from a G540 to leadshine DM542 drivers. Same steppers, same machine.
    The leadshine drivers resulted in a much quieter machine (the resonance is much less) and the steppers run cooler.
    If that's the case then you haven't tuned the G540 correctly.

-------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com

Downloads
    Uploads

This topic looking for a CNC in OZ has come up a few times .I had thoughts of making them small scale then thought how far do you go I like the accuracy of the linear rails ,the VFD controlled spindle water cooled is nice for long runs then controllers and so on cost becomes difficult people have an Idea of what they want in their head and sometimes the pocket doesn't match .On a little larger scale a couple of local businesses have Multicam machines a gasket cutting place and plastic sheet mob ,they seem to be the only other option then I guess demand is kind of low ,just thoughts cheers John.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The XYZ Carve is a bit of stretch if you want to do aluminium as the OP mentioned. A 400W spindle isn't up to the job. My XYZ carve has the Makita router as a spindle and has a number of strengthening mods done to it and cutting aluminium is a slow, tedious process.
    I tend to use my 6040 with t water-cooled spindle to do what little aluminium I cut.

Downloads
    Uploads

What would you call "a little hard" for your budget?

Are you a Chinese dealer?

Downloads
    Uploads

I have the XXL version of the Shapeoko 3 https://shop.carbide3d.com/collectio...nt=42721938758

And love it! 800x800 cut area, it has MUCH beefier rails and belts than the X-carve, It cuts aluminium very well for a Sub-$2k hobby router. By that I mean it cuts just fine, but isn't rigid enough to take big depth cuts like an industrial machine. Having said that it is FAR more rigid then the x-carve or the XYZ carve from 3dtek.

I've got one in Armidale, NSW. I will be looking to sell it in a few months if you're interested, I'm moving to a Tormach-style CNC mill when I have the money

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12