Australia After a local CNC Router - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: After a local CNC Router

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: After a local CNC Router

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiian_robot View Post
    Hey, not sure if this is what you're after, but I have a 3DTek XYZ carve, 400 W spindle, 1000 x 1000 mm work area (no MDF wasteboard though, but you could set up a board from slot extrusion if you wanted?) that I'm looking to get rid of. Hasn't been used, it's just taking up space I don't have, and I'd rather have the money. Looking to let it go at a pretty significant loss to myself, like I said, just want it to go to someone that'll get use out of it.
    I could certainly see myself getting started on one of those, PM incoming!

Downloads
    Uploads

thanks to Phomann. that Vermac router has the same kind of vac pump (side channel blower) as my unit. Always on the lookout for alternatives as I get the impression that parts are gunna be quite expensive on my unit when the time comes to start fixing things

Just some random canvas guy

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey, Calebarchie,
    Something maybe you need to know about the Chinese routers on Ebay. According the fellow who designed a controller board and USB CNC software at Planet CNC, they all have counterfeit controller boards and pirated software. The reason (he said) why the ones mentioned a few months ago are no longer in business is simple. They offer 2 year warranty and 100% satisfaction guarantee but disappear when you try to access the warranty. I bought one of the 6040 machines. Its usable size is way smaller than 60 x40 cm. I just ordered a new controller for it from an Australian manufacturer. I've also bought German stepper motors for it. This makes the $1980 machine cost over $3000!
    There is a fello who posted a video of the exact same problem I and so far another 25 people I've contacted are having because of the dud controller boards in them. He's in the UK BTW. Watch his video before you buy a Chinese router offering delivery from Sydney. Its a bond store they send container loads of routers to for AU delivery. Here's the link:

Good luck
    Ryadia.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

When I first started out I bought some cheap crappy Chinese stepper motors ("Smooth" brand LOL). I bought a Leadshine stepper drive to go with it.

Just like in the video I couldn't get above a certain RPM before the motor stalled and squealed.

Next I bought Gecko drives (G203V but they're all good). Those cute little beasties would run my cheap crappy stepper motors up to a good speed, no problem. No more Leadshine drives for me, Gecko all the way. My plasma table max speed is 10,000 mm/min. I tested the table at that speed for 30 mins, with lots of zig zags, circles, curves, sharp turns, etc, basically a torture test to see if I would get any lost steps. After the test the X and Y axis returned precisely to the original starting position, as programmed. No lost steps at all. Oh, and I was not gentle on the acceleration/deceleration.

So there's drives and there's drives, and my experience is a cheap stepper motor can be driven OK by a high quality drive. The Gecko drive was cheaper than the Leadshine drive too, by quite a margin. But there again I did buy the Leadshine drive from a local Australian supplier = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ as usual. However, Geckos are available locally too (Homann Designs), but for about the same price as what you'd pay in the US last time I checked.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

I will add that I have found Peter Homann to be very reliable and fast with both shipping on new orders and in responding over problems.
    And I like the G203V.

Cheers
    Roger
    (NO financial links to HD at all.)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've found Leadshine drives great. Gecko are great also, but older analog technology. Leadshine much quieter and motors run cooler.

7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gecko are great also, but older analog technology.
    Really? Then I wonder what the digital chip in the middle, and all those MOSFETs in such a small package, are doing.
    Sorry, but I don't think Gecko have been analog for ... were they ever analog? I doubt it.

Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

There were back in the stone age

http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    I've found Leadshine drives great. Gecko are great also, but older analog technology. Leadshine much quieter and motors run cooler.
    I'm interested HOW you would know if their technology is "older" whether it is analogue or not. Are you up to date on their in-house technical development and circuitry.

And analogue is not automatically older, it is simply analogue as opposed to digital. IF Gecko use analogue, which is starting to seem doubtful based on what RCaffin has observed, then it could be because they found it to be the better way to go. You'll find thousands of analogue ICs available from electronics suppliers because they have their application, where "digital" can not be used, or for whatever reason analogue give a better solution. So as I said, analogue is not automatically "old", it's just a different technology. I bet the space shuttle and lots of medical equipment have plenty analogue mixed with digital.

This reminds me of the digital tools that somehow claimed better measuring accuracy. The digital displays were nothing more than a different way of displaying a measured value. But hey they looked all whoopee doo.

And as for the running cooler bit, I had the opposite experience. Even sitting idle, my motors would get fairly hot with the Leadshine drives. With the Geckos they are tepid when idle, and only get warm when running flat out, and I have the current set to the motors limit.

Likewise with noise, smooth and much quieter is my experience with Geckos. Do you have experience with a particular model of Gecko drive. I mean:

Motors run noisy ???
    Motors run hot ???
    Old technology ???

Not the type of feedback you normally get from Gecko users LOL.

Leadshine may have improved since I used the one and only drive I tried, but a search over various cnc forums, and I think anyone would be hard pressed to find much bad talk about Geckos.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My apologies, I was wrong with the analog thing.

Beefy,

I moved from a G540 to leadshine DM542 drivers. Same steppers, same machine.
    The leadshine drivers resulted in a much quieter machine (the resonance is much less) and the steppers run cooler.

Gecko products are good. My experience with leadshine is better.

7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    I moved from a G540 to leadshine DM542 drivers. Same steppers, same machine.
    The leadshine drivers resulted in a much quieter machine (the resonance is much less) and the steppers run cooler.
    If that's the case then you haven't tuned the G540 correctly.

-------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This topic looking for a CNC in OZ has come up a few times .I had thoughts of making them small scale then thought how far do you go I like the accuracy of the linear rails ,the VFD controlled spindle water cooled is nice for long runs then controllers and so on cost becomes difficult people have an Idea of what they want in their head and sometimes the pocket doesn't match .On a little larger scale a couple of local businesses have Multicam machines a gasket cutting place and plastic sheet mob ,they seem to be the only other option then I guess demand is kind of low ,just thoughts cheers John.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast