Australia Building Hobby CNC need advice with part choices?

Thread: Building Hobby CNC need advice with part choices?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Building Hobby CNC need advice with part choices?

Hi I'm new to this forum but have a small hobby CNC I've been using for Carbon fiber/G10 and very light alloy duties, I've decided i would like a larger machine with a bit more grunt and less of a toy.
    I don't want to spend massive amounts of money and in all honesty it is still a hobby machine but don't want to buy Chinese rubbish.
    What i had in mind was something like the OX CNC from the maker store, but with a bit more build to it. Ox CNC Mechanical Kit - Large - Maker Store
    I'll list a few parts I was thinking of and if anyone can give me some advice that would be great.
    First the size 1500x 1000 (cut 1200x900 ish)
    I would like to cut alloy parts from sheet and maybe some pocketing, so nema23 steppers approx 300oz-in
    spindle i would like 2.2kw unit but not sure if that frame would take the weight with too much flex.
    gecko g540 controller. XYZA axises

The OX has a single gt3 belt drive using 2 nema23 for the X, belt for the Y and 8mm lead screw for Z, i don't think that would be strong enf even if i double belted it?
    there is a company in the UK that has upgraded the Y gantry with a double V slot rail rather than the single in the kit. The Ooznest OX CNC Kit | Open Source CNC Router
    this still is using single belt on X and Y

so go maybe with rack and pinion on X
    ball screw on the Y and Z?? also what size screw?10mm 14mm?

what are everyone's opinions in the about the above?
    this so far is approx 2500 - 3k which is about my limit.
    I don't mind building it but at least with a kit, I have 99% of the parts and it is just an assembly job, with an adapt here and there.
    I hate waiting for parts when you are half way through building and discover you forgot a plate or screws,

I do have the ability and equipment to make plates etc, and have reasonable CAD abilities, but knowing my luck i would forget something critical.

Maybe I have it all wrong, and all those ideas are rubbish? this is why i need some advice.

So to recap 1500x1000 bed, 2.2kv spindle, decent steppers, and reliable and smooth controller.
    mainly cutting wood, carbon fiber sheet, G10 fiberglass and Aluminium sheet and billet (light)
    I already have the software, solidworks, vcarve and Mach3

thanks in advance for your help.

BTW i'm in Brisbane south so happy to meet and chat in person, this sometimes speeds up the process.

Troy

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Building Hobby CNC need advice with part choices?

It is a problem if you want to get serious then that's what you have to do I have a small 2 x 1 meter with a 200 Z even that is sometimes a pain then I have Hiwin rails 34 nema's 24mm screw on Y and 16 X and Z ,3.2 k spindle.It is OK for starters then I realized I wanted to cut over the edge of the table so I built an extension saying that I built all of mine in my work shop only thing I had done outside was the grinding of the Y and X rail supports $50 for that .So in total 5 K ish I'm happy yes I would do it differently next time yes no I had my fun I enjoyed 99 % of it

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jetgsr View Post
    Hi I'm new to this forum but have a small hobby CNC I've been using for Carbon fiber/G10 and very light alloy duties, I've decided i would like a larger machine with a bit more grunt and less of a toy.
    I don't want to spend massive amounts of money and in all honesty it is still a hobby machine but don't want to buy Chinese rubbish.
    What i had in mind was something like the OX CNC from the maker store, but with a bit more build to it. Ox CNC Mechanical Kit - Large - Maker Store
    I'll list a few parts I was thinking of and if anyone can give me some advice that would be great.
    First the size 1500x 1000 (cut 1200x900 ish)
    I would like to cut alloy parts from sheet and maybe some pocketing, so nema23 steppers approx 300oz-in
    spindle i would like 2.2kw unit but not sure if that frame would take the weight with too much flex.
    gecko g540 controller. XYZA axises

The OX has a single gt3 belt drive using 2 nema23 for the X, belt for the Y and 8mm lead screw for Z, i don't think that would be strong enf even if i double belted it?
    there is a company in the UK that has upgraded the Y gantry with a double V slot rail rather than the single in the kit. The Ooznest OX CNC Kit | Open Source CNC Router
    this still is using single belt on X and Y

so go maybe with rack and pinion on X
    ball screw on the Y and Z?? also what size screw?10mm 14mm?

what are everyone's opinions in the about the above?
    this so far is approx 2500 - 3k which is about my limit.
    I don't mind building it but at least with a kit, I have 99% of the parts and it is just an assembly job, with an adapt here and there.
    I hate waiting for parts when you are half way through building and discover you forgot a plate or screws,

I do have the ability and equipment to make plates etc, and have reasonable CAD abilities, but knowing my luck i would forget something critical.

Maybe I have it all wrong, and all those ideas are rubbish? this is why i need some advice.

So to recap 1500x1000 bed, 2.2kv spindle, decent steppers, and reliable and smooth controller.
    mainly cutting wood, carbon fiber sheet, G10 fiberglass and Aluminium sheet and billet (light)
    I already have the software, solidworks, vcarve and Mach3

thanks in advance for your help.

BTW i'm in Brisbane south so happy to meet and chat in person, this sometimes speeds up the process.

Troy
    Hi Troy,

With the dimensions you are after, and wanting to cut aluminum, you are looking at a machine that needs a steel base (for rigidity). Have you looked at the Mechmate site MechMate CNC Router - Build your own with our detailed plans
    Also have a chat to Justin at Vermec. Brisbane CNC routers - VERMEC, YOUR WOOD WORKING & ENGINEERING SUPPLIER.

They produce quality machines and he may be able to help you out with advice and/or equipment.
    I can help you out with the electronics but you need to fort out the mechanical side first.

Cheers,

Peter

-------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com

Downloads
    Uploads

They have linear rail systems at VXB.com now.

Here's the link

Artistic 3D Relief Work for CNC http://www.cncproductionwork.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting to see what the end product looks like, but i recon you would have to sink somewhat more than 3K to get what you are after.

With the dimensions you are after, and wanting to cut aluminum, you are looking at a machine that needs a steel base (for rigidity).
    Absolutely

Just some random canvas guy