Australia Looking for a 4 or 5 axis CNC machine for a hobbyist

Thread: Looking for a 4 or 5 axis CNC machine for a hobbyist

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking for a 4 or 5 axis CNC machine for a hobbyist

Hi there guys & gals

I was wondering if anyone can advise me on a cheap 4 or 5 axis cnc machine for a hobbyist. I want to make miniatures and metal moulds for miniatures casting. I have been looking at the China CNC 6040 machine or even the PocketNC machine. I was just wondering if anyone here can suggest a suitable machine, has used one and where the best place to get one in Australia is.

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for a 4 or 5 axis CNC machine for a hobbyist

Be careful using cheap routers for this kind of thing. I bought one with a 4th axis to do something similar and, although it's fine for 3 axis on light duty 4 axis sucks:
    1. The 4th axis it came with is utter crap, with metal workpieces it just doesn't have the guts to hold a piece for indexing much less drive it for continuous operation through a cut.
    2. There's not enough Z clearance even with the spindle backed right off to fit an A/C axis trunnion table.

I don't really trust the look of the PocketNC, just looks way too dinky and slow for me.

The cheapo 3040 style 5 axis machines out of China look like rubbish too, there's a reason there aren't many demo videos of them cutting metal and, in the ones that are, they're super slow indexed work that look and sound awfully chattery - they simply aren't rigid enough to cut clean.

On my long range project list is making a trunnion table with hypocycloidal reduction drives which have enough guts to work, and changing up my router to a box style with the gantry running along the top of the sidewalls instead of being built up from the base to get a little more stiffness and height. But I can't help but think it might be a lot easier - and probably cheaper in the end - to look at converting something like a Hafco knee mill or Optimum bench mill to CNC and mounting the trunnion on that.

Downloads
    Uploads

cheap 4 or 5 axis cnc machine for a hobbyist.
    I am tempted to say that is a contradiction in terms, IF you want something robust enough to mill anything harder than wax.
    Then there is the cost of the CAD and CAM SW for genuine 5-axis use.

I dare say the PocketCNC might be OK for machining wax masters for casting jewelry though. Cute little thing.

Cheers
    Roger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    cheap 4 or 5 axis cnc machine for a hobbyist.
    I am tempted to say that is a contradiction in terms, IF you want something robust enough to mill anything harder than wax.
    Then there is the cost of the CAD and CAM SW for genuine 5-axis use.

I dare say the PocketCNC might be OK for machining wax masters for casting jewelry though. Cute little thing.

Cheers
    Roger
    I have been loking at the china CnC systems with a extra component to make it 5 axis. I have seen by the 6040 and the pocket NC machine alluminium easily enough. My issue is i want to make miniatures with this machine with detail down to 0.1mm and i dont know if they are capable of doing that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Read the specs.
    The Pocket NC will machine to better than 0.1 mm, but you would be looking at upwards of US$5000 + freight.
    The 6040 costs rather less and claims good specs, but stories abound about the problems with a Chinese machine - especially the lack of support.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

I am in Melbourne and have one I want to sell. Only because I bought a half tonne machine.

Had all the bearings up graded spindle goes to 4500 rpm. Has backlash compensation system on it and works very well.

Photos attached. Let me know if you want to know more.

$4500 without the 4th Axis. $5500 with the fourth axis.
    Looking for a 4 or 5 axis CNC machine for a hobbyist-dscn0532-jpgLooking for a 4 or 5 axis CNC machine for a hobbyist-dscn0539-jpgLooking for a 4 or 5 axis CNC machine for a hobbyist-dscn0536-jpg
    Looking for a 4 or 5 axis CNC machine for a hobbyist-dscn0533-jpgLooking for a 4 or 5 axis CNC machine for a hobbyist-dscn0535-jpgLooking for a 4 or 5 axis CNC machine for a hobbyist-dscn0541-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Neat little machine did you get much done on it ,once your in the cnc thing it's hard to escape

Downloads
    Uploads

stories abound about the problems with a Chinese machine - especially the lack of support.
    Thats definitely a big thing.
    Some of the teething issues i had with my machine like software troubles doing some jobs, down to one of the air pistons to control vac hold down ****t*ing itself. Not to mention "operator (me)" issues learning how to drive it.

In a way I bought a dealer/manufacturer here in oz. Paid the bucks for a commercial unit. The choice was a bit easier for me cause I use it for work. So far, so good.

Just some random canvas guy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have a look at my post here - depends on what city your are in, weight is an issue.http://www.cnczone.com/forums/austra...g-machine.html