Australia Used machinery, Bridgeports or quality clones and R-8?

Thread: Used machinery, Bridgeports or quality clones and R-8?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Used machinery, Bridgeports or quality clones and R-8?

Been a few years since I've been active, last posted from California. Settled into rural NSW April 2014. Has taken a while, but finally got all my tools and tooling shipped over recently.
    All in storage as I'm working on turning a backyard carport into a proper shed. So be a while before I'm looking for a mill and lathe again, but want to start looking, get an idea what I can
    expect to pay come the day. Looking for recommendations on reputable used machinery dealers.
    Most of the Bridgeport type mills I've seen on eBay have 30 taper spindles. Kick myself for selling my 40+ lot of 30 taper tooling over there.... If R-8 spindles really rare here, might
    buy one from the States as I have a lot of R-8 tooling.
    Living in Cootamundra, NSW (about an hour from Wagga Wagga), no used machinery dealers anywhere near me.

Regards,

Jon

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Used machinery, Bridgeports or quality clones and R-8?

I was looking at Greys online mixed results there is a lot of car related MC shops going under with the demise of the car industry down here ,I see some tafe stuff going and a cool Cylindrical grinder I get distracted easy ,it's a good start .I have seen some nice Bridgeport gear going cheap in the US it's always the way .

Downloads
    Uploads

Gee quite the "tree change"

The freight cost will be interesting when you find something, not to mention arriving to you in decent nick.

I have trouble getting stuff (rolls of canvas) to Bendigo ex Melb and Syd without damage. Of course they all try and blame each other.
    Recon once you find something, if possible just go and pickup the darn thing yourself.

Good luck with your search.

Just some random canvas guy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Will look up Greys, thanks. Had a VS Bridgeport, step pulley Millport, and a 40 taper Chevalier CNC knee mill. Would love to have brought the Millport over. 2 speed motor, would run to 5400 rpm, though a bit less on 50hz.
    Had nowhere to store the machines, so had to sell. Sigh...

Jon

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

> Gee quite the "tree change"

Yeah, and how. But loving it here!

> The freight cost will be interesting when you find something, not to mention arriving to you in decent nick.

Hoping to find something I can pick up myself, but yeah, shipping isn't going to be cheap. And will likely take time to go inspect before
    buying anything. The Chevalier CNC knee mill, I bought from neighboring Nevada based on a couple ebay photos. Big mistake.
    Was a near new Chevalier head on an old Excello frame, with damaged quill drive. Fixed it up and made money with it, but then I
    had a whole shop with which to do the work.

> I have trouble getting stuff (rolls of canvas) to Bendigo ex Melb and Syd without damage. Of course they all try and blame each other.

I'm working in the local abattoir, maintenance. We had a roughly meter dia plus blade for the robotic carcass saw disappear enroute back from
    being sharpened. $5k blade gone without a trace.

At least have access to a fairly decent Victor engine lathe at work. If I can find a 5C nose adapter for it, will modify my drawbar and
    make it available to work in exchange for personal access. But the H&F mill is a toy and uses Morse taper tools, thus looking
    for a mill first.

Regards,

Jon

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The only second hand machinery sales place I've seen i Machines4u.
    Freight to Coota is going to be a killer though,cheaper to hire a truck and pick it up yourself.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by snowyskiesau View Post
    The only second hand machinery sales place I've seen i Machines4u.
    Freight to Coota is going to be a killer though,cheaper to hire a truck and pick it up yourself.
    Kind of out in the sticks a ways. Pretty sure there's no suitable rental trucks anywhere near me.
    Probably best bet would be renting a 2 axle car carrier trailer. Moved half a dozen machines over the years,
    but always had ready access to suitable trailers and vehicles capable of towing a good load.
    I drive a Mazda 3, wife's Grand Vitara has the smallest engine. So either going to have to pay up for freight
    or borrow a ute with a decent tow rating.

Regards,
    Jon

Downloads
    Uploads

Freight: father of employee imported large woodworking machines to Sydney. He was waiting on delivery for a huge door-making machine (tree in, doors out, sorta). Rang broker about it: "It's in the harbour." But when can you get it to me? "It's IN the harbour." It fell out of the slings.
    Freight can be a problem, even in Sydney.

Cheers
    Roger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    Freight: father of employee imported large woodworking machines to Sydney. He was waiting on delivery for a huge door-making machine (tree in, doors out, sorta). Rang broker about it: "It's in the harbour." But when can you get it to me? "It's IN the harbour." It fell out of the slings.
    Freight can be a problem, even in Sydney.

Cheers
    Roger
    Ouch! Insurance or no, it was not fun to read that over a thousand containers are lost at sea every year. I spent 35 years collecting my tools and tooling between yard sales, estate sales, and eBay.
    Much of it irreplaceable. Sure was a relief to hear my stuff was safely on solid ground!

Jon